The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ottawa “Swedish” senators (proposal)

Ottawa ‘Swedish’ Senators

I’ve been noticing that an era of Swedish greats are slowly coming to an end.  Zetterberg, Kronwall are 36 and slowing down,  Daniel and Henrik are 37 and UFA’s (likely retiring), The king is 36, still playing good.  Before they all leave this game, I figured they should all come together (like a meatball) and get one more kick at the cup. Now not many teams would be able to take on that type of roster turn over. But the Sens are in the situation that they can. Senators will be picking top 5 this year so they will be deferring their first round pick to the avs to next year which means they will have to improve their team.    Here’s howthey do it;

Draft Dahlin 

Sign 

The twins to a 2 year deal.

Trade

Ryan + Dzingel + Pageau To DET for Zetterberg + Kronwall

Bowers + Anderson to NYR for Lundqvist

Gaborik + Ott 5th round pick + NYR 7th round pick to Vancouver for Nilsson + Eriksson (retain 1 million). 

Now obviously I’m not being serious as this would be entirely unrealistic but the 2018-19 Sens line up would consist of 12 Swedish born players;

Hoffman Duchene Stone

Sedin Sedin Zetterberg

Paajarvi Smith Eriksson

Pyatt Brown White

Burrows

Kronwall Karlsson

Ceci Dahlin

Chabot Claesson

Borowiecki Englund

Lundqvist

Nilsson

Could that line up accomplish anything?  Playoffs or would it be destined for another top 5 pick? Are there any other sweds they could target?

That team wouldn't win a Cup and around half a dozen players would probably retire in a year or two. What would OT do then? Trading Dzingel, Ryan, Pageau and a couple of picks, and bringing in players ready for pasture, is not a good way for them to rebuild. Fun idea though.

I think Ottawa has their hands full right now trying to figure out if/how their most important Swede fits into their long-term future plans.  After the Karlsson issues settle, who know's their direction? 

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I’ve been noticing that an era of Swedish greats are slowly coming to an end.  Zetterberg, Kronwall are 36 and slowing down,  Daniel and Henrik are 37 and UFA’s (likely retiring), The king is 36, still playing good.  Before they all leave this game, I figured they should all come together (like a meatball) and get one more kick at the cup. Now not many teams would be able to take on that type of roster turn over. But the Sens are in the situation that they can. Senators will be picking top 5 this year so they will be deferring their first round pick to the avs to next year which means they will have to improve their team.    Here’s howthey do it;

Draft Dahlin 

Sign 

Trade

Gaborik + Ott 5th round pick + NYR 7th round pick to Vancouver for Nilsson + Eriksson (retain 1 million). 

Now obviously I’m not being serious as this would be entirely unrealistic but the 2018-19 Sens line up would consist of 12 Swedish born players;

Hoffman Duchene Stone

Sedin Sedin Zetterberg

Paajarvi Smith Eriksson

Pyatt Brown White

Burrows

Kronwall Karlsson

Ceci Dahlin

Chabot Claesson

Borowiecki Englund

Lundqvist

Nilsson

Could that line up accomplish anything?  Playoffs or would it be destined for another top 5 pick? Are there any other sweds they could target?

this is pretty awesome.  Now just move the team to Malmo or Stockholm.

5 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Draft Dahlin 

Sign 

Trade

Hoffman Duchene Stone

Sedin Sedin Zetterberg

Paajarvi Smith Eriksson

Pyatt Brown White

Burrows

Kronwall Karlsson

Ceci Dahlin

Chabot Claesson

Borowiecki Englund

Lundqvist

Nilsson

Interesting idea. But no. The only thing going for them would be the defence featuring Karlsson and Dahlin, surrounded by capable and promising defenders. Hoffman-Duchene-Stone first line is decent first line but I think they are relatively easy to shut down in the playoffs. You need secondary, tertiary scoring in the playoffs and when your best support players core players are 36, 37, 38, you are not going to get things done in the playoffs.

I actually wonder how the Sens are going to avoid giving up top 10 pick next season. 

Interesting thread would be, maybe it already exists, what moves should Sens make to lower the probability of giving up a top 10 pick next season.

20 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Draft Dahlin 

Sign 

Trade

Hoffman Duchene Stone

Sedin Sedin Zetterberg

Paajarvi Smith Eriksson

Pyatt Brown White

Burrows

Kronwall Karlsson

Ceci Dahlin

Chabot Claesson

Borowiecki Englund

Lundqvist

Nilsson

Mats Sundin, Forsberg and Naslund, then they could re-unite and win the Stanley Cup like they won the gold medal in Torin. Ha ha.  

OR...

We could do it here in Vancouver.  Draft Dahlin.  Re-sign the Sedins, trade Demko for Lundqvist, trade picks for Karlsson (probably three firsts and Gaudette to make them interested), trade Hutton and Goldobin for Zetterberg and Kronwall.  

Bring in Pettersson and Dahlen for next year. And we'd still have L.E., Nilsson and Edler.   I think that makes a tie....oh yeah being in Sundin to be a player coach makes 13.

19 hours ago, Fanuck said:

I think Ottawa has their hands full right now trying to figure out if/how their most important Swede fits into their long-term future plans.  After the Karlsson issues settle, who know's their direction? 

Absolutely.  Asking him for a list of teams he may be interested in IF he waives must have got him thinking that resigning in Ottawa isn't the best or at least only option.  He also wants and expects to be paid, a lot more than he has been, and he's earned that.  Last year he was a slam dunk for the Conn Smythe even on a losing effort if they got past PIT and couldn't win the cup.  He's taken a while to recover from his recent injury, which is par for the course. 

Next year it should be business as usual (being the most important player on his team and another Norris worthy season) but I'm pretty sure he's going to market.  So the Sens will do their best to trade him.  And he will sign for 10plus x 7 somewhere, and likely earn his contract.

Archived