The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seattle expansion team realignment??

so with the inevitable expansion coming to seattle.. and they are along the west coast in the pacific time zone.. which team is going to be moved to the central?? we currently have 8 teams they have 7. All the teams in the pacific plays in the PST other than Edmonton and Calgary do they move both of them to central and swap a central team to the pacific? that won't be good for the canadian rivalries what do you guys think will happen? 

Will be interesting to see what they do; bad idea to move the Alberta teams, or split up the desert teams. California teams won’t be moving either. Boned in most scenarios, IMO. 

If it was me, I’d go with the NFL alignment of 8 divisions of 4.

West

Gretzky (Northwest) — Dionne (Pacific)

1. Calgary — San Jose

2. Edmonton — Anaheim

3. Seattle — LA

4. Vancouver — Vegas

Hull (Rural) — Roy (Midwest)

1. Winnipeg — Arizona (Houston?)

2. Chicago — Dallas

3. Minnesota — Nashville

4. St. Louis — Colorado

East

Orr (Northeast) — Brodeur (Metro)

1. Montreal — New York R

2. Ottawa — New York I

3. Toronto — New Jersey

4. Boston — Buffalo

Lemieux (Mideast) — Stevens (Atlantic)

1. Pittsburgh — Tampa Bay

2. Philadelphia — Florida

3. Detroit — Washington

4. Columbus — Carolina

You play 4 games against other teams in your division, 3 for conference, 2 for the other conference. 80 games.

All star break after 40 games, trade deadline break after 60. 

1 guaranteed spot for each division winner. 4 wild card spots per conference, and go back to 1-8 seeding (division winners getting 1-4)... or maybe some format that makes the SCF, possible between every single team; no more east vs. West.

But, like Nuckin Futz said, probably Arizona moving to central is the best idea.  

Pacific teams, Vancouver, Seattle, San Jose, LA, and Anaheim are staying for sure.

Edmonton and Calgary should stay together in a same division for the purposes of maintaining the historical provincial rivalry and also moving one team but not the other is hard to justify.

That leaves Las Vegas and Arizona. Las Vegas uses PDT and Arizona uses Mountain time. I think the obvious choice is to move Arizona to Central.

2 minutes ago, khay said:

Pacific teams, Vancouver, Seattle, San Jose, LA, and Anaheim are staying for sure.

Edmonton and Calgary should stay together in a same division for the purposes of maintaining the historical provincial rivalry and also moving one team but not the other is hard to justify.

That leaves Las Vegas and Arizona. Las Vegas uses PDT and Arizona uses Mountain time. I think the obvious choice is to move Arizona to Central.

I'd prefer to move the Coyotes to Quebec.

23 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I'd be good with the 4 teams x 8 divisions concept, but the names and members would be something best left for the league to &^@# up.

As for number of games, the math actually works out:

2 games x 16 interconference = 32 games

4 games x 8 interdivisional, intraconference = 32 games

6 games x 3 intradivisional = 18 games

Total = 32 + 32 + 18 = 82 games

and boom goes the dynamite.

You're missing 4 teams. With the 8 division set up an 82 game season doesn't really work if you want a consistent number of games played between different groups. An 83 game season could work though. 

2 games x 16 cross-conference teams = 32 games

3 games x 12 intraconference non-divisional teams = 36 games

5 games x 3 divisional teams = 15 games

32 + 36 + 15 = 83 

Every season the home advantage switches (i.e. in a season series between the Canucks and the Flames, one season the Canucks get 3 games at home and the next they get 2 games at home).

I agree that moving Arizona makes the most sense. But, the problem is, Arizona is a struggling hockey market and we all know how badly Bettman wants to make it work. Moving Arizona to the central division would severely hurt/cripple the franchise, because they have spent years building rivalries in the pacific.

What we can be 100% sure of is that Bettman will NOT move a team that is in the pacific time zone.

So this leaves really only 3 options:

1) Arizona

2) Edmonton

3) Calgary

I've heard rumours that one consideration would be moving Edmonton/Calgary to the central division, and then moving Colorado to the pacific division.

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

that makes the most sense, but I want it to be Edmonton. 

Daylight saving time might push Edmonton over Arizona to the Central.

Time zones played a role in the last re-alignement. Detroit and Columbus moved to the East because of that. Winnipeg moved to the Central for the same reason.

Every team in the Central uses the same time zone save for Colorado.  Like Colorado, Edmonton uses Mountain time with daylight saving.  Arizona also uses Mountain time but without daylight saving.  

In the daylight saving months Arizona is UTC-7 like the Pacific teams.  Edmonton and Colorado are UTC-6 while the other Central teams are UTC-5.  They might prefer Edmonton to the Central to have at most a 1 hour difference vs 2 if it is Arizona.

44 minutes ago, mll said:

Daylight saving time might push Edmonton over Arizona to the Central.

Time zones played a role in the last re-alignement. Detroit and Columbus moved to the East because of that. Winnipeg moved to the Central for the same reason.

Every team in the Central uses the same time zone save for Colorado.  Like Colorado, Edmonton uses Mountain time with daylight saving.  Arizona also uses Mountain time but without daylight saving.  

In the daylight saving months Arizona is UTC-7 like the Pacific teams.  Edmonton and Colorado are UTC-6 while the other Central teams are UTC-5.  They might prefer Edmonton to the Central to have at most a 1 hour difference vs 2 if it is Arizona.

good point. It would be like putting 1/2 the old Northwest division back together. 

Archived