The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN-CHI; VAN-EDM

Two trades to take place prior to the 2018 NHL Entry Draft. Tell me what you think. 

To Chicago:

D Troy Stecher 

To Vancouver:

CHI 1st 2018(8th Overall)

D Brent Seabrook(27.27% retained = $5,000,000 AAV) 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

To Edmonton:

F Nikolai Goldobin

To Vancouver:

EDM 1st 2018(5th Overall) 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In the 2018 NHL Entry Draft, the Canucks select D Adam Boqvist and LW Brady Tkachuk 

Easy no from Chicago for sure. Edmonton's deal is closer, but probably still no.

7 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

What if we traded Tanev instead of Stecher? 

I think Tanev would push it a bit too far against us; he's a massive upgrade over Stecher IMO. If Chicago retains half of Seabrook's cap hit (~$3.4M), then I'd consider it.

7 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Easy no from Chicago for sure. Edmonton's deal is closer, but probably still no.

I think Tanev would push it a bit too far against us; he's a massive upgrade over Stecher IMO. If Chicago retains half of Seabrook's cap hit (~$3.4M), then I'd consider it.

Keep in mind Seabrook is way overpaid but he's still a serviceable player. I'm ok with retaining 27%. 

If we can get another high draft pick that would really round out this team's rebuild. Getting that pick from Chicago, if I were GM, would be crucial. 

3 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

Keep in mind Seabrook is way overpaid but he's still a serviceable player. I'm ok with retaining 27%. 

If we can get another high draft pick that would really round out this team's rebuild. Getting that pick from Chicago, if I were GM, would be crucial. 

Seabrook is serviceable, but not worth $5M I'd say. Even so, it's his term that worries me more. His contract lasts until he's 38 and he's already slowing down a lot at just 32.

Just now, -AJ- said:

Seabrook is serviceable, but not worth $5M I'd say. Even so, it's his term that worries me more. His contract lasts until he's 38 and he's already slowing down a lot at just 32.

We always retain more of his salary and move him to a team with a need for a righty.  Plus I still think he's worth $5,000,000 for the services he provides as a Top 4 defenseman. 

I actually think it is possible for Chicago to say yes to this given how much money they would save on Seabrook's contract. That being said, we're also shooting ourselves in the foot in my opinion. If Boeser continues the way he's been playing and if players like Pettersson and Gaudette live up to expectations, will we be in trouble 3 years down the road due to Seabrook's contract. A 5th overall would be nice, but we have to determine here if long term it's worth it rather than just the short term as this is clearly a long term move.

1 hour ago, morrissex95 said:

Two trades to take place prior to the 2018 NHL Entry Draft. Tell me what you think. 

To Chicago:

D Troy Stecher 

To Vancouver:

D Brent Seabrook(27.27% retained = $5,000,000 AAV) 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

To Edmonton:

F Nikolai Goldobin

To Vancouver:

EDM 1st 2018(5th Overall) 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In the 2018 NHL Entry Draft, the Canucks select D Adam Boqvist and LW Brady Tkachuk 

I don't see Chicago doing that trade. A big part of their problem right now is that they have traded too many of their young picks, chasing the cup year after year. Their cupboards are starting to look bare and they need to start replacing some of those guys for future.

Edmonton needs better D, but I think they would keep the pick and trust their scouts to grab someone promising out of the group available where they will be picking.

@Adarsh Sant don't comment on this thread if you don't have anything good or constructive to say. 

LOL thanks for the heads up.

Again I think explaining your rationale in the OP would help things out a bit.

One, Chicago may say yes to this because they are in trouble with the cap, but they'll counter with something less than the 8th overall I'm guessing. We're still leaving them with >1/4 of the contract. But good idea. However I don't think this helps the Canucks. This contract has SIX years left on it and even at 5 mil that's horrible. We got 4 years of Eriksson left, and Benning will bring in some old vets for sure. Plus Boeser Petersson, Gaudette, and maybe Dahlen will all need new contracts before we get Seabrook (and probably Eriksson) off our books.

As for the second deal, why would EDM move out of the top 5 for Goldobin? They already have enough middle six wingers who can't really score.

1 hour ago, Adarsh Sant said:

LOL thanks for the heads up.

Again I think explaining your rationale in the OP would help things out a bit.

One, Chicago may say yes to this because they are in trouble with the cap, but they'll counter with something less than the 8th overall I'm guessing. We're still leaving them with >1/4 of the contract. But good idea. However I don't think this helps the Canucks. This contract has SIX years left on it and even at 5 mil that's horrible. We got 4 years of Eriksson left, and Benning will bring in some old vets for sure. Plus Boeser Petersson, Gaudette, and maybe Dahlen will all need new contracts before we get Seabrook (and probably Eriksson) off our books.

As for the second deal, why would EDM move out of the top 5 for Goldobin? They already have enough middle six wingers who can't really score.

Would throwing in Baertschi with Stecher be enough in your opinion be enough to get Chicago to cough up their pick? Chicago needs wingers. 

18 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

You don't think Chicago and Edmonton want to help Vancouver get better?

Don't come into my thread and be a sarcastic @$$. If you don't have anything constructive to say don't participate. 

1 minute ago, morrissex95 said:

Would throwing in Baertschi with Stecher be enough in your opinion be enough to get Chicago to cough up their pick? Chicago needs wingers. 

Don't come into my thread and be a sarcastic @$$. If you don't have anything constructive to say don't participate. 

I am not being sarcastic Sparky.   Serious question, why would Chicago and Edmonton want to assist Vancouver?   Both of your proposals weigh heavily in Vancouver's favour.   That is a constructive question and seemed to make sense in the face of what is probably one of the stronger drafts in recent years and you asking two other struggling teams who are both in severe CAP crunch to get rid of (or move down) from the one thing that helps that situation, higher end draft picks.    It simply makes no sense AND if they were to do it, why for a Conference/Divisional rival?

Legitimate question.   If you want everyone to simply agree with your proposal, maybe you should state that in the opening.     

55 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

Again, you haven't really answered why you won't state your rationale in the OP. Would help a lot.

And imagine this was us. Would you take a Stecher and a Baertschi to get rid of Loui if we had to give up a top 10 pick? A top 10 pick in such a draft (or any draft) is not worth it for cap space

59 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Again, you haven't really answered why you won't state your rationale in the OP. Would help a lot.

And imagine this was us. Would you take a Stecher and a Baertschi to get rid of Loui if we had to give up a top 10 pick? A top 10 pick in such a draft (or any draft) is not worth it for cap space

You're right - I wouldn't give up the pick to get rid of Eriksson. 

Chicago's in a different position. They need wingers and young defenseman and Stecher is only 24. 

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I am not being sarcastic Sparky.   Serious question, why would Chicago and Edmonton want to assist Vancouver?   Both of your proposals weigh heavily in Vancouver's favour.   That is a constructive question and seemed to make sense in the face of what is probably one of the stronger drafts in recent years and you asking two other struggling teams who are both in severe CAP crunch to get rid of (or move down) from the one thing that helps that situation, higher end draft picks.    It simply makes no sense AND if they were to do it, why for a Conference/Divisional rival?

Legitimate question.   If you want everyone to simply agree with your proposal, maybe you should state that in the opening.     

Maybe I overreacted. 

I think Baertschi and Stecher would go a long way with helping Chicago's cap crunch, though. 

You're right - I wouldn't give up the pick to get rid of Eriksson. 

Chicago's in a different position. They need wingers and young defenseman and Stecher is only 24. 

Ok I'll just ask you directly. Why won't you put your rationale in the OP?

8 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Ok I'll just ask you directly. Why won't you put your rationale in the OP?

How about you stop telling me what to put in my posts, k? 

I don't have time to write a repetitive essay about my trades. The trades are self-explanatory. You either agree with them or you don't. 

Archived