The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Making a huge splash in the offseason. Giving the Sedins 1 last shot while not killing the rebuild.

Resign Sedins 1 year 2.5M each.

Resign Virtanen 2 years 1.5M per

Resign Granlund 2 years 2.5M per

Resign Stecher 5 years 3.5M per

Resign Pouliot 2 years 2M per

GET LUCKY AND WIN 1ST OA

Draft Dahlin

Trade for Karlsson, yes I said it, get er done:

TO VAN

Karlsson

TO OTT

Baertschi

Goldobin

Juolevi

Dahlen

Dipietro

2018 3rd & 5th

2019 1st (top 10 protected)

Now I know some may call me crazy thinking this trade kills our rebuild but please hear me out first... also I feel this may be an overpayment but I'd be willing to do it and maybe more if we were out bid by another team.

Trade for a goalie:

Doesn't have to be this guy but I feel he would be the perfect fit for us to make a trade that helps both teams.

TO WSH

Eriksson ($3M retained)

Hutton

Gaunce 

2nd

TO VAN

Holtby

5th

Most might think I'm crazy suggesting this but Holtby is quickly losing his starting gig in WSH and I believe if successful, Grubauer will earn a pay raise and Holtby and his $6.1M contract would be more useful by helping boost their lineup somewhere else. Sure someone may outbid us but why not take a shot? Eriksson at $3 might actually be a bargain if he finds his game on an offensively gifted team like the Caps. I'd retain the full $3M if needed. Eriksson would add great offensive depth to an already offensively gifted team, and they also get 2 young guys, and also move up in the draft.

So as of right now our depth looks like so:

CENTER ($15.535)

Horvat - $5.5M

Sedin - $2.5M

Sutter - $4.375M

Gagner - $3.15M

LEFT WING ($5.65M)

Granlund - $2.5M

Sedin - $2.5M

Liepsic - $0.65

RIGHT WING ($1.925M)

Boeser - $0.925M

Virtanen - $1M

LEFT DMEN (9.8M)

Edler - $5M

Dahlin - $1M

Del Zotto - $3M

Pouliot - $0.8M

RIGHT DMEN ($18.7M)

Karlsson - $6.5M

Tanev - $4.45M

Gudbranson - $3.5M

Stecher - $3.5M

Biega - $0.75M

GOALIES ($9.8M)

Holtby - $6.1M

Markstrom - $3.7M

Total Cap: $61.625M + $3M (Eriksson)

Projected cap: $78M

Cap space: $13.375M

XXXXXX HORVAT BOESER

SEDIN SEDIN XXXXXX

GRANLUND SUTTER XXXXXX

XXXXXX GAGNER VIRTANEN

EDLER KARLSSON

DAHLIN TANEV

D ZOTTO GUDBRANSON

POULIOT STECHER

BIEGA

HOLTBY

MARKSTROM

SPOTS TO FILL...

1ST LINE LW: 

a lot may disagree but I think we should offer Kane a 2 year show me what you got offer. Because of the short term we may have to pay a bit for it. Let's say 2 years $7 per, limited NTC. I think he would help elevate Bo and Boesers game to another level. As for the immatuaty, let's give it a shot, I believe most people grow out of that and if he doesn't, at least we can say we tried. Don't lock him up long term because we have some gem prospect we need to save future $ for. He will be a short term pick up unless he's willing to take a discount after those 2 years.

THE 3RD SEDIN:

Isn't it obvious? HELLO PETTERSSON!!!

3RD LINE RW & 4TH LINE LW:

We have players that may really compete for these spots already in the system such as Gaudette, Liepsic, Motte, Dahlen, and others. However I like the thought of using our cap space on players that are established and let our young guys play in the AHL and help us out when injuries occur. Let's go get Vanek back and maybe and enforcer or 2. Complete the depth needed for a run.

So next year's lineup..

Kane Horvat Boeser

Sedin Sedin Pettersson

Granlund Sutter Vanek

?????? Gagner Virtanen

Edler Karlsson

Dahlin Tanev

DZ Gudbranson

Pouliot Stecher

Holtby

Markstrom

Think of this as a 2 year plan to give the Sedins 1 last shot, we can always trade Karlsson after the 2 years to load back up on prospects.

Future pieces/Prospects remaining after huge blockbuster offseason...

Pettersson

Horvat

Boeser

Dahlin

Virtanen

Gaudette

Stecher

Pouliot

Gudbranson

Demko

Liepsic

Motte

Lind

Gadjovich

I know it's very far fetched, but it's fun to dream after being shutout 3 straight games RIGHT?

Sigh...

I suspect this belongs in Armchair GM'ing. Or fantasy land.....

Way too much for Karlsson considering he can just walk away in a year.

There's no way Washington gives us Holtby for garbage. No matter how high you stack garbage it's still garbage.

Even adding Holtby and Karlson wouldn't be enough to get this team on a cup run next year.

Nah. I'm stoked about Dahlen more than ever since that article came out comparing him to another Timra legend.

So a definite no to trading Dahlen and Juolevi in any deal for Karlsson especially if we get Dahlin. Even if we get Dahlin, we will most likely miss the playoffs in 2019 so that's another top 15 pick in 2019, which will only help to make our team deeper if JB's recent drafting success continues.

Besides, your roster, even with Kane, Karlsson, and Dahlin will not get past the first round. Let's face it,  even with Kane, Horvat-Boeser pair is not a superstar first line that can carry the team through the playoffs yet. Think about Dallas's Seguin-Benn pair. Can we honestly say Horvat-Boeser are at their level? With the Sedins as the secondary scorers, I'm not sure if we will make it very far. Especially Henrik, he seems to have aged faster than Daniel.

I don't see any way for the both Sedins to win the cup with the Canucks. I can see it being possible for Daniel to win it if he maintains his level (20+ goals), which seems plausible given that he is a winger and takes less punishments and having to work less than Henrik who is a center.

In 2020, Daniel may still be on the roster but for sure not for Henrik. If anything 2020 is the year we should even think about loading up for a run:

D. Sedin-Pettersson-Boeser (can be an effective scoring line, if and only if Daniel maintains his current level with Pettersson having taken Henrik's role) 

Dahlen-Horvat-high caliber UFA (sign a high caliber UFA like Chicago did with Hossa -- if Dahlen does become Zetterberg, this line will be gold)

Virtanen-Gaudette-Lind (going to be a pain in the a$$ line to play against in the playoffs)

Eriksson-Sutter-Granlund (can be used as a match up line in the playoffs)

Dahlin-Tryamkin (assuming Tryamkin comes back, if not move Tanev up here or sign a UFA)

Edler-Gudbranson

Juolevi-Tanev

Demko

Markstrom

Great news is that after Daniel retires, we will have 2019 top 15 pick (assuming a forward) to step in. I don't want us to sell our future at this point. We've got to rebuild until 2020.

1 hour ago, Brock Botanen said:

Resign Sedins 1 year 2.5M each.

Resign Virtanen 2 years 1.5M per

Resign Granlund 2 years 2.5M per

Resign Stecher 5 years 3.5M per

Resign Pouliot 2 years 2M per

GET LUCKY AND WIN 1ST OA

Draft Dahlin

Trade for Karlsson, yes I said it, get er done:

TO VAN

Karlsson

TO OTT

Baertschi

Goldobin

Juolevi

Dahlen

Dipietro

2018 3rd & 5th

2019 1st (top 10 protected)

Now I know some may call me crazy thinking this trade kills our rebuild but please hear me out first... also I feel this may be an overpayment but I'd be willing to do it and maybe more if we were out bid by another team.

Trade for a goalie:

Doesn't have to be this guy but I feel he would be the perfect fit for us to make a trade that helps both teams.

TO WSH

Eriksson ($3M retained)

Hutton

Gaunce 

2nd

TO VAN

Holtby

5th

Most might think I'm crazy suggesting this but Holtby is quickly losing his starting gig in WSH and I believe if successful, Grubauer will earn a pay raise and Holtby and his $6.1M contract would be more useful by helping boost their lineup somewhere else. Sure someone may outbid us but why not take a shot? Eriksson at $3 might actually be a bargain if he finds his game on an offensively gifted team like the Caps. I'd retain the full $3M if needed. Eriksson would add great offensive depth to an already offensively gifted team, and they also get 2 young guys, and also move up in the draft.

So as of right now our depth looks like so:

CENTER ($15.535)

Horvat - $5.5M

Sedin - $2.5M

Sutter - $4.375M

Gagner - $3.15M

LEFT WING ($5.65M)

Granlund - $2.5M

Sedin - $2.5M

Liepsic - $0.65

RIGHT WING ($1.925M)

Boeser - $0.925M

Virtanen - $1M

LEFT DMEN (9.8M)

Edler - $5M

Dahlin - $1M

Del Zotto - $3M

Pouliot - $0.8M

RIGHT DMEN ($18.7M)

Karlsson - $6.5M

Tanev - $4.45M

Gudbranson - $3.5M

Stecher - $3.5M

Biega - $0.75M

GOALIES ($9.8M)

Holtby - $6.1M

Markstrom - $3.7M

Total Cap: $61.625M + $3M (Eriksson)

Projected cap: $78M

Cap space: $13.375M

XXXXXX HORVAT BOESER

SEDIN SEDIN XXXXXX

GRANLUND SUTTER XXXXXX

XXXXXX GAGNER VIRTANEN

EDLER KARLSSON

DAHLIN TANEV

D ZOTTO GUDBRANSON

POULIOT STECHER

BIEGA

HOLTBY

MARKSTROM

SPOTS TO FILL...

1ST LINE LW: 

a lot may disagree but I think we should offer Kane a 2 year show me what you got offer. Because of the short term we may have to pay a bit for it. Let's say 2 years $7 per, limited NTC. I think he would help elevate Bo and Boesers game to another level. As for the immatuaty, let's give it a shot, I believe most people grow out of that and if he doesn't, at least we can say we tried. Don't lock him up long term because we have some gem prospect we need to save future $ for. He will be a short term pick up unless he's willing to take a discount after those 2 years.

THE 3RD SEDIN:

Isn't it obvious? HELLO PETTERSSON!!!

3RD LINE RW & 4TH LINE LW:

We have players that may really compete for these spots already in the system such as Gaudette, Liepsic, Motte, Dahlen, and others. However I like the thought of using our cap space on players that are established and let our young guys play in the AHL and help us out when injuries occur. Let's go get Vanek back and maybe and enforcer or 2. Complete the depth needed for a run.

So next year's lineup..

Kane Horvat Boeser

Sedin Sedin Pettersson

Granlund Sutter Vanek

?????? Gagner Virtanen

Edler Karlsson

Dahlin Tanev

DZ Gudbranson

Pouliot Stecher

Holtby

Markstrom

Think of this as a 2 year plan to give the Sedins 1 last shot, we can always trade Karlsson after the 2 years to load back up on prospects.

Future pieces/Prospects remaining after huge blockbuster offseason...

Pettersson

Horvat

Boeser

Dahlin

Virtanen

Gaudette

Stecher

Pouliot

Gudbranson

Demko

Liepsic

Motte

Lind

Gadjovich

I know it's very far fetched, but it's fun to dream after being shutout 3 straight games RIGHT?

Sigh...please &^@# off please &^@# off

When I saw the title of the thread I thought it meant resign the Sedins the a reasonable cap friendly contract without any clauses, and trade them next deadline to a contender for a chance at the cup.  

It's not happening here...

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] Making a huge splash in the offseason. Giving the Sedins 1 last shot while not killing the rebuild.
3 hours ago, PlanB said:

Build through the draft and exercise the necessary patience to allow said draft picks to develop. 

It's not a difficult concept. 

This ^.

Can we just pin this and make it mandatory reading before posting trade proposals? 

Not sure we are ready for a Karlsson.

That package of assets would be better served getting us 2 or 3 solid upgrades if you want to go that route.

All for trading baertschi and granlund tho goldobin maybe but he may pan out yet With his skills.

Not sure the Sedins have enough foot speed to play their passing game anymore.

Trade for a goalie? With Demko and DiPietro we are looking good.

I would play it cool. Ifbthe sedins will sign for cheap and play less and in and out of the lineup maybe they can stay as play coaches.

Keep drafting well and trade from a better position when we have developed too many prospects... by then it might be time to trade for a Karlsson.

So in 1 go around kill the entire prospect pool on a guy that’s coming off a bunch of injury and give up on all our forward depth in 1 go. So where’s the scoring coming from? We ain’t scoring now and even with Boeser that’s 1 player. We no more eriksson no more vanek 2 of the top 6 goal scorer. And just replace it with a bunch of rookies and pray they do well? So what happens if that doesn’t work we just moved out rebuild 5 years back 

Archived