The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

HOCKY NEWS 2018 NHL FUTURE WATCH

wildcam

Picked up the 2018 NHL Hockey News Future watch and we have 5 prospects in the top 100..

So they have #2  Elias Pettersson, #21 Olli Juolevi, #38 Thatcher Demko, #66 Jonathen Dahlen, #77 Adam Gaudette..

They have Vancouver Ranked 9 with Bt.

They have Vancouver Top 10 prospect Ranked..

1. Pettersson  C- 6'3, 165 Future 1st line player

2. Juolevi - D - 6'3 - 202, 19 -  Talented but needs to be pushed to exact it.

3. Demko - G - 6'4, 209, 21 -  One of the best goaltenders not in the NHL

4. Dahlen - C - 5'11, 181,  20 - Talented player

5. Gaudette - C - 6'1, 183, 21 - May be the best prospect suited to make the jump to NHL

6. Lind - RW - 6'1, 178, 19 - Complete package and has edge to his game.

7. Gadjovich  Lw - 6'2, 209, 19 - Mature physically and skating has improved.

8. Dipietro - G - 6'0, 207, 18 - Think of Tim Thomas - with big complete level.

9. Brisebois - D - 6'3, 189, 20 - Gaining strength, better at moving puck and defending.

10. MacEwen C - 6'4 202, 21 - Plays rugged style with decent touch, Bottom 6 potential.

Very excited how many good prospect we have now..

I don't know if it's me, but I see myself disagreeing with The Hockey News a lot when it comes to the Canucks. I almost get the feeling they are biased against us and don't really like us that much. We constantly seem to be getting underrated. Is this actually a thing, or am I being too harsh on them?

I get the same impression of THN,  that they under rate our prospects and down play positive aspects of

our team,so I don't think it's just you. Their current rankings, outside of EP, seem low. The order of our

prospects seem about right though.

We've come a long way a few short years and we're going to add at least another one or two to that 

list. The question is though, who from the current draft would you rate above Petterson? Dahlin yes.

But who else?

Just now, ReggieBush said:

I am not even a big Kole Lind fan, but he without a doubt should be in the top 100. He is having a marvelous season in Kelowna. Additionally, Adam Gaudette should be top 50 as well. 

I agree Lind should be in top 75 for sure? Bellows  #25 and Kole Lind is not in top 100??

Lind is putting up way better numbers this year..

Gaudette #77..

Its a great magazine, looks of great reading..Should be on new stands here now??

I bought it few days ago..

1 minute ago, wildcam said:

I agree Lind should be in top 75 for sure? Bellows  #25 and Kole Lind is not in top 100??

Lind is putting up way better numbers this year..

Gaudette #77..

Its a great magazine, looks of great reading..Should be on new stands here now??

I bought it few days ago..

Sorry typing too fast, lots of great articles..

3 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Think is high ranking is because of his great play at world JR U20 as he was top in points...

Yeah there is alot of bias going to that wjc performance. I think they are also giving him the benefit of the doubt with his performance at Minnesota since that team is probably the biggest tire fire in the ncaa this year. However the kid gloves should be off mittlestadt next year.

I think someone from this magazine was recently on 1040 talking about these rankings. You have to remember these rankings were formed quite a while ago a lot closer to the WJC. Events from the last month or 2 aren't a factor. 

Ranking prospects is a crap shoot at best. Nice to see the Canucks cupboards filling up with quality prospects, with 1-3 possible high enders to add to the list this summer as well. Now we must pray to the hockey gods that a handful of them live up to or exceed their potential. 

3 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Think is high ranking is because of his great play at world JR U20 as he was top in points...

Just looked up World Jr U20 points 2018.

1. Middelstadt - GP 7 G4 A7 =11Pts

2. Necas                  7 - 3 - 8 - 11

3. Bellows               7 - 9 - 1 - 10

14. Pettersson        7 - 5 - 2 - 7 

I have watched Bellows a few times this year and he does look better then Kole Lind..

Kole Lind was very impressive the 5 games I watched him play..Be exciting to see Lind progess at pro level.

I think Lind should be in top 100 for sure..

just mentioning the WHL guys..

This magazine is ranking  a few prospects for next years draft..I have watched  Newhook playing for Victoria Grizzlies  BCJHL and he is #2 next year, its still early I know. 2019 Draft..

1. Jack Hughes C  2. Newhook C BCJHL Victoria  #9 Nolan Foote LW Kelowna..

12 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Just looked up World Jr U20 points 2018.

1. Middelstadt - GP 7 G4 A7 =11Pts

2. Necas                  7 - 3 - 8 - 11

3. Bellows               7 - 9 - 1 - 10

14. Pettersson        7 - 5 - 2 - 7 

I have watched Bellows a few times this year and he does look better then Kole Lind..

Kole Lind was very impressive the 5 games I watched him play..Be exciting to see Lind progess at pro level.

I think Lind should be in top 100 for sure..

just mentioning the WHL guys..

This magazine is ranking  a few prospects for next years draft..I have watched  Newhook playing for Victoria Grizzlies  BCJHL and he is #2 next year, its still early I know. 2019 Draft..

1. Jack Hughes C  2. Newhook C BCJHL Victoria  #9 Nolan Foote LW Kelowna..

No way I am ranking newhook over a guy like cozens or dach right now.

45 minutes ago, wildcam said:

The #1 is Casey Mittelstadt C, 20, 201lbs.....

Interesting. Did they provide justification at all?

Pettersson is dominating in a professional league. SHL and NCAA are hard to compare but it would be interesting to hear why.

18 minutes ago, ThatPope said:

I think someone from this magazine was recently on 1040 talking about these rankings. You have to remember these rankings were formed quite a while ago a lot closer to the WJC. Events from the last month or 2 aren't a factor. 

Ranking prospects is a crap shoot at best. Nice to see the Canucks cupboards filling up with quality prospects, with 1-3 possible high enders to add to the list this summer as well. Now we must pray to the hockey gods that a handful of them live up to or exceed their potential. 

Thanks for the explanation. That explains why Pettersson is #2.

1 minute ago, khay said:

Interesting. Did they provide justification at all?

Pettersson is dominating in a professional league. SHL and NCAA are hard to compare but it would be interesting to hear why.

They have 2 page article on both #1 Casey Middelstadt and #2 Elias Pettersson..

Pettersson - Is tearing it up against men in Sweden, but the  big Boys are in North America. His route to the NHL runs through the gym. Buy magazine good read on several players and all 31 team prospects...

Archived