The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

HOCKY NEWS 2018 NHL FUTURE WATCH

wildcam

14 hours ago, JamesB said:

Usually there are a few prospect pool rankings that come out at the beginning of the season. They use different rules about who counts as a prospect. But usually only NHL regulars from the previous year are excluded. So Boeser would not be included.

At the beginning of the year Pettersson, Dahlen, Demko, Juolevi, Gaudette, Lind, Brisebois, DiPietro, Jasek and Gadjovich  should all be eligibile, along with whoever the Canucks pick in the 2018 draft.

That prospect poll should be pretty good and I am looking forward to seeing how it ranks. Certainly above #9 overall.

That said, I agree that I expect that Pettersson will make the team, and that Dahlen, Gaudette and Juolevi all have a very good shot so, by year-end, the prospect pool will be partially depleted through "graduation".

There was talk of the Canucks being in on a couple of college FA but nothing heard lately. Benning's ability to sign players at the college level should not be ignored. The Canucks are getting a solid core of college players.  

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

There was talk of the Canucks being in on a couple of college FA but nothing heard lately. Benning's ability to sign players at the college level should not be ignored. The Canucks are getting a solid core of college players.  

From Linden's last interview, nothing to speak of on that front.

Boston and New Jersey are the 2 teams that had the most "rookie" minutes in the NHL this year....they are both playoff teams.

If we graduate 3-4 rookies next year plus a healthy BB and one of Jake or Goldy keeps improving....we will be a playoff team ...next year.

We might have been this year had injuries not hit big time...

AG, EP and JD will make the team next year maybe Juolevi as well  ...which would be awesome to allow them to grow together...

That still leaves Lind, Gadjovich, MacEwen, Jasek, Brisebois, Sautner and Chatfield plus whoever we draft this year.

Our drafting the past few years has been great and has set us up for at least a couple more even if we only pull one good player a year from the draft for a couple years.

imo, a team who have a successful core can integrate young players more successfully than building teams can. teams who rush players into the nhl before they are ready to compete at that level, just hurt that player's development. if some guys can crack the line up, great but not just to please the fan base. in 2 years, i'm sure we will see pettersson, dahlin, lind, gaudette, gadjovich, juolevi and demko.  

4 hours ago, smithers joe said:

imo, a team who have a successful core can integrate young players more successfully than building teams can. teams who rush players into the nhl before they are ready to compete at that level, just hurt that player's development. if some guys can crack the line up, great but not just to please the fan base. in 2 years, i'm sure we will see pettersson, dahlin, lind, gaudette, gadjovich, juolevi and demko.  

Joe you are bang on about rushing players to quickly. Doing that always runs the risk of actually ruining their careers. Top that with the often unwarranted fan expectations and the media attention. A lot of young talent coming in over the next 2 years and they have to be protected. The patience preached in the last two weeks as we celebrated the Twins and how they struggled early on and how Virtanen's likely breakout will be quickly forgotten.  

8 hours ago, smithers joe said:

...So ...you're going to keep your eyes closed next year...  The 3 player's bolded will be on the team next year (except it's Dahlen...not Dahlin).    They will be carrying the team along with Bo and BB...that's not pressure...that's just seeing things the way they are...

...just watch....

On 4/9/2018 at 11:02 AM, Rush17 said:

Craig Button had it right.  

https://www.tsn.ca/cupboard-is-stocked-for-up-and-coming-canucks-1.989909

This was released in Feb after the world jrs.  Clearly Craig knows what's what lol.

button.png

Decent list but surprised Samsonov ahead of Demko as AHL a "better" league in many ways and tougher on goalies than KHL.   I know GS from Marlies gets a lot of hype but he is on a much stronger team than Comets.    I also like that someone is showing some respect for the younger Strome as he remains a solid prospect.   

On April 8, 2018 at 8:48 AM, RetroCanuck said:

Yep he mentioned that we have to many contracts already. Makes one wonder how many plugs like Megna are coming back next season.

Oh I agree, They will dump some of there contracts, Cassels is one, Megna, Mackenzie guy in Kalamazoo ECHL. So it would be easy to dump 6 guys who have been around for 2-3 years with no signs of improving..

9 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Decent list but surprised Samsonov ahead of Demko as AHL a "better" league in many ways and tougher on goalies than KHL.   I know GS from Marlies gets a lot of hype but he is on a much stronger team than Comets.    I also like that someone is showing some respect for the younger Strome as he remains a solid prospect.   

See in those graphs Washington has another very good goalie coming soon, could see them trading one of there goalies to make room for Samsonov,,

1 minute ago, wildcam said:

Oh I agree, They will dump some of there contracts, Cassels is one, Megna, Mackenzie guy in Kalamazoo ECHL. So it would be easy to dump 6 guys who have been around for 2-3 years with no signs of improving..

Yep, currently I don't see Cederholm, Mackenzie, Cassels, Megna, Jokinen, Dowd, Molino being offered extensions.

Chaput, Labate, Wiercoch, Archibald and Bachman are all older guys and Id say are 50/50 to be resignedas well. All of them could choose to move on with their careers elsewhere. Chaput is good centre depth for the AHL and NHL if need be but he may want a new opportunity overseas or something. Labate brings a good physical element but his offensive totals were lacking this year. Archibald is good depth but has failed to transition his game consistently to the NHL. If Bachman and Wiercoch want to stay then they should be resigned. Id say 2-3 of these guys are back next year.

Sedins retired as well.

So thats approximately 12 contracts we have coming off the books. A few of these are already given out but will count towards our 50 contacts next year (such as Juolevi)[at least Im pretty sure thats how that works]. Other contracts will go to prospects such as Pettersson, 2018 1st rd, Jasek?(back to europe?), Brassard?(one more OHL season?), DiPietro?, McKenzie?(late season success enough?), Gunnarsson? etc.

So realistically I could see us with roughly 5-8 contracts left over for UFAs and trades.

25 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Yep, currently I don't see Cederholm, Mackenzie, Cassels, Megna, Jokinen, Dowd, Molino being offered extensions.

Chaput, Labate, Wiercoch, Archibald and Bachman are all older guys and Id say are 50/50 to be resignedas well. All of them could choose to move on with their careers elsewhere. Chaput is good centre depth for the AHL and NHL if need be but he may want a new opportunity overseas or something. Labate brings a good physical element but his offensive totals were lacking this year. Archibald is good depth but has failed to transition his game consistently to the NHL. If Bachman and Wiercoch want to stay then they should be resigned. Id say 2-3 of these guys are back next year.

Sedins retired as well.

So thats approximately 12 contracts we have coming off the books. A few of these are already given out but will count towards our 50 contacts next year (such as Juolevi)[at least Im pretty sure thats how that works]. Other contracts will go to prospects such as Pettersson, 2018 1st rd, Jasek?(back to europe?), Brassard?(one more OHL season?), DiPietro?, McKenzie?(late season success enough?), Gunnarsson? etc.

So realistically I could see us with roughly 5-8 contracts left over for UFAs and trades.

I can see 9 easy contracts to move away from, no improvement..

Laplant 22 ECHL , Megna 28, Stewart 22 ECHL, Wiercloch 27, ( Cassel 22 have better prospects that can take his spot, Cederholm, Dowd,  x2Sedins

so 9 easy ones,  They might keep Jokinen for veteran depth 14GP 11PTS, Archibald showed he could play..

Excited about Arron Irving, D ,  21, 6'1  210 LBS, played in Kalamazoo GP60 G 15 PTS 48  now with Utica, he was drafted by Nashville with brought him to camp on tryout.. I have watched him in WHL like his game, he will be the late bloomer like McEneny,.. McEneny might make Canucks next yr he was hurt this season?

This

2 hours ago, wildcam said:

I can see 9 easy contracts to move away from, no improvement..

Laplant 22 ECHL , Megna 28, Stewart 22 ECHL, Wiercloch 27, ( Cassel 22 have better prospects that can take his spot, Cederholm, Dowd,  x2Sedins

so 9 easy ones,  They might keep Jokinen for veteran depth 14GP 11PTS, Archibald showed he could play..

Excited about Arron Irving, D ,  21, 6'1  210 LBS, played in Kalamazoo GP60 G 15 PTS 48  now with Utica, he was drafted by Nashville with brought him to camp on tryout.. I have watched him in WHL like his game, he will be the late bloomer like McEneny,.. McEneny might make Canucks next yr he was hurt this season?

This

Laplante still has a year left on his ELC. Wiercoch is a great AHL vet defensemen and would be good to keep for Veteran experience and is an adequate depth NHL guy. I doubt Jokinen gets a contract bit maybe a professional tryout. I think they will bring Archy back but will waive him next year. Im not sold on Irving at all, might be a capable AHL defensemen but we have plenty of those right now.

6 hours ago, wildcam said:

See in those graphs Washington has another very good goalie coming soon, could see them trading one of there goalies to make room for Samsonov,,

Maybe.   Samsonov, and sorry I don't have the quote handy, I am sure was saying he was pretty happy in KHL for at least the "future I can see" or something like that.    Things change though for sure.

On 08/04/2018 at 7:06 PM, smithers joe said:

You've caught the bug Joe. :)

Archived