The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Media, Getting Giggles About Canucks and Tanking

TheGuardian_

It was bound to happen and now when discussing teams making the playoffs I expect there will be more of this kind of media observations.

Cue the "eastern media hate us", the "eastern media doesn't know", the " eastern ....blah, blah, blah" posters

This maybe just the start of the "what the ? are they doing" or the "at last they acknowledge....." or "they are finally doing ....." maybe even some stuff like this.

Comments on national radio by a major network about the Vancouver Canucks and management.

https://www.tsn.ca/video/is-there-an-nhl-team-openly-tanking-this-season~1347720

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

giphy.gif

I'm really disappointed in the team this year.

I think most of us are.  So many of us thought they'd be good enough to make the playoffs, even with half a lineup.  What a letdown.

Oh well, at least we have....

Image result for canucks pie

Link is not loading but Toronto outright tanked for Matthews and worse off actually succeeded.  Buffalo tanked for McDavid and their GM pouted like a spoiled baby when all he got was Eichel.  There is no way anyone can deduce that the Canucks tanked or stealth tanked this year with the amount of injuries they had.  They have probably the worse D-core in the NHL and this day and age it's all about having a mobile defense that can move the puck, and that's something that severely lacking with this franchise.

They weren't wrong in what they said.  Only the biggest of homers thought that the Canucks were getting into the playoffs this year.

Granted, I don't think anybody thought that the Canucks had a legitimate shot at finishing dead last...

Just now, Tre Mac said:

Link is not loading but Toronto outright tanked for Matthews and worse off actually succeeded.  Buffalo tanked for McDavid and their GM pouted like a spoiled baby when all he got was Eichel.  There is no way anyone can deduce that the Canucks tanked or stealth tanked this year with the amount of injuries they had.  They have probably the worse D-core in the NHL and this day and age it's all about having a mobile defense that can move the puck, and that's something that severely lacking with this franchise.

They didn't accuse the Canucks of tanking.  They said that the Canucks were just legitimately a bad team.

Disappointed to hear Ferraro speak that way. I generally respect him, but it seems to me he doesn't understand this team as well as he probably should.

He questions how Benning got an extension and his plan. Hello? Prospects? Look into our future, Ferraro--Benning sure as heck didn't get an extension because of the current performance of the team.

Also regarding playoff hopes: I think there were very few fans who thought we had a legitimate chance at playoffs from the outset. I predicted them to finish 27th. Admittedly, while things were great in November and early December, I could've seen us making a close run, but injuries decimated us. Had we finished 20th-25th, I'd be predicting that we would be in the hunt for a wildcard spot next year, but at this rate, I'll be predicting another tough season.

Just now, oldnews said:

I'm really disappointed in the team this year.

I think most of us are.  So many of us thought they'd be good enough to make the playoffs, even with half a lineup.  What a letdown.

This team, when fully healthy at the beginning of the year was definitely capable of taking it to quite a few good teams. Permanently losing Dorsett was a massive blow to the team. Having Horvat and Sutter down at the same time was also a pretty catastrophic blow.

Losing various defensemen throughout the season certainly didn't help matters much.

With the increase in alternative sources, media(in general) are becoming increasingly obsolete. I think this fact is permeating even into the sporting-realm. A section of society willing to throw a greater % of (dwindling) spare $, into this(one of the last) remaining vices, will be squabbled over.

So they'll up their game, with mud-slinging, & troll-bellowing from beneath any bridge of decency. Lowest common denominator, & all that bs.

There are FARRR bigger problems in the world.

Sports "journalism" resembles the world's oldest profession. They must be a mighty proud lot.

I"d just rather focus on the fact that it's pretty much agreed upon in the entire hockey community that the Canuck's have one of the deepest prospect pools in the NHL right now - and we'll be adding to it one way or another this spring. 

17 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

yes they talk about the fact Toronto and Buffalo transparently tanked.

which makes a joke of the integrity of the league wadr to them.

The Canucks on the other hand, despite Ferraro's weak attempts to pretend otherwise are not that bad a team when they had Horvat, Sutter, Boeser, Tanev,  Gudbranson, Baertschi, Granlund, Dorset, Gaunce, Eriksson in the lineup.

Right now they are an accidental/M.A.S.H. AHL team - they deserve the 1st overall far more than those pathetic teams they praise for having a "plan" - to lose.

10 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Disappointed to hear Ferraro speak that way. I generally respect him, but it seems to me he doesn't understand this team as well as he probably should.

He questions how Benning got an extension and his plan. Hello? Prospects? Look into our future, Ferraro--Benning sure as heck didn't get an extension because of the current performance of the team.

Also regarding playoff hopes: I think there were very few fans who thought we had a legitimate chance at playoffs from the outset. I predicted them to finish 27th. Admittedly, while things were great in November and early December, I could've seen us making a close run, but injuries decimated us. Had we finished 20th-25th, I'd be predicting that we would be in the hunt for a wildcard spot next year, but at this rate, I'll be predicting another tough season.

It's why his name has been made into a verb - to 'ferraro' is to rant at someone else's expense while you're drunk at 9am in the morning - to get 'ferraroed' is to be the target of said unthinking/incoherent rant.

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I've kinda' seen Ferraro as a listless flag that waves in the direction the wind is blowing. Maybe ilk like him feel they're almost lowered to half-mast? If one feels irrelevancy approaching, they'll likely accept being raised & lowered by others.

17 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Yes those franchises were workin' the back alleys(in cheap skirts) before seasons even got underway.

So revisionist media try to imply we're on the same Bull***t-boulevard. Nice of them.

Archived