The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Media, Getting Giggles About Canucks and Tanking

TheGuardian_

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

yes they talk about the fact Toronto and Buffalo transparently tanked.

which makes a joke of the integrity of the league wadr to them.

The Canucks on the other hand, despite Ferraro's weak attempts to pretend otherwise are not that bad a team when they have Horvat, Sutter, Boeser, Tanev,  Gudbranson, Baertschi, Granlund, Gaunce, Eriksson in the lineup.

Right now they are an accidental/M.A.S.H. AHL team - they deserve the 1st overall far more than those pathetic teams they praise for having a "plan".

Ray was po'd that Jim tried to field a competitive team this year, I recall him whinging about that with the Vanek deal. He wanted team tank from the start. So no surprises he's on that tack. I'm not sure I've heard anything useful out of Ray for a long time. 

20 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

This team, when fully healthy at the beginning of the year was definitely capable of taking it to quite a few good teams. Permanently losing Dorsett was a massive blow to the team. Having Horvat and Sutter down at the same time was also a pretty catastrophic blow.

Losing various defensemen throughout the season certainly didn't help matters much.

At least you have perspective...not many on here do...

I'd love to hear Ferraro quote Benning saying he thought this team was going to make the playoffs.

What a bullship artist.    Doesnt' know the difference between a goal and an expectation.

Here's the even greater irony:

Where did Ferraro expect Edmonton to finish?

Where did Edmonton expect to be right now?   Is it injuries that are tanking their season?

Lottery champions have a "plan" - but Benning is the butt of their joke.

I sense these idiots are actually threatened by Benning.  An honest transition is apparently a joke.

What a f'd up mentality.

12 minutes ago, oldnews said:

It's why his name has been made into a verb - to 'ferraro' is to rant at someone else's expense while you're drunk at 9am in the morning - to get 'ferraroed' is to be the target of said unthinking/incoherent rant.

Hey man, what did you get up to last night..."oh man, my head hurts, I went full Ferraro last night...I regret everything..."

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I'd love to hear Ferraro quote Benning saying he thought this team was going to make the playoffs.

What a bullship artist.    Doesnt' know the difference between a goal and an expectation.

Where did Edmonton expect to be right now?   Is it injuries that are tanking their season?

I sense these idiots are actually threatened by Benning.  An honest transition is apparently a joke.

What a f'd up mentality.

A couple years ago JB said he thought we had a team that could compete for the playoffs.  Then, I think, JB said he wanted his team to be competitive in the games they play.  Or something like that for a time-line, no?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

A couple years ago JB said he thought we had a team that could compete for the playoffs.  Then, I think, JB said he wanted his team to be competitive in the games they play.  Or something like that for a time-line, no?

a couple years ago they did make the playoffs, so there's that.

but the core was never going to get younger - and the remaining ones were NMCs/untradeable, so....do the math.

If the youth around them are dropping like flies, what is the predictable result?

19 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Ray was po'd that Jim tried to field a competitive team this year, I recall him whinging about that with the Vanek deal. He wanted team tank from the start. So no surprises he's on that tack. I'm not sure I've heard anything useful out of Ray for a long time. 

Smart man, he, like many "hockey" people know this team needs to be blown up, "striped down" (Linden) and need better players than OJ or Virtanen as 1rst round picks, BTW I like Virtanen and have posted that he should be used as he is now, just let him play without the drama of being benched for the same things that Sutter, Gagner, Sedins do repeatedly.

This team did not tank, not even close, they are just not good enough for a tank, tanking is something good teams do to get a better/good draft pick.

There will be lots of media talk regarding Canadian teams NOT making the playoffs and around the draft lottery it will be interesting to see if more of this continues, it has started on the local media now too.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

a couple years ago they did make the playoffs, so there's that.

but the core was never going to get younger - and the remaining ones were NMCs/untradeable, so....do the math.

If the youth around them are dropping like flies, what is the predictable result?

No they didn't they drafted OJ, you missed a year.

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

They, one or the other, have said that just about every year, look into the past threads, I tried bumping one but it got locked, it was relevant though.

35 minutes ago, oldnews said:

The irony of that link:

"The Leafs I noticed it because of who they were playing in net, who they were calling up..."

"Babcock and Lamoureillo and Shanahan had a plan - we're going to do what we can to lose tonight."

My favorite was sending qualified kids and vets who were performing well down to the AHL and the Marlies and them calling it smart asset management cause they didn't want to waste a year or burn the kids out or expose them to a losing culture.

8 minutes ago, oldnews said:

What a f'd up mentality.

What's the point of listening to these manipulative ****ers anymore? I refuse to click onto whatever the OP referenced(can imagine, pretty much)

It's obvious their directives is to just stir s**t up. So our market is currently amped about landing a top-4 talent? Well sully that with petty innuendoes & false comparisons.

You talk about conduct beneath one's dignity? Imagine working in a gig(modern sports "media") where you're required to prattle on like jr high girls in a hallway-clique!

****ing disgraceful! :^)

1 minute ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Smart man, he, like many "hockey" people know this team needs to be blown up, "striped down" (Linden) and need better players than OJ or Virtanen as 1rst round picks, BTW I like Virtanen and have posted that he should be used as he is now, just let him play without the drama of being benched for the same things that Sutter, Gagner, Sedins do repeatedly.

This team did not tank, not even close, they are just not good enough for a tank, tanking is something good teams do to get a better/good draft pick.

There will be lots of media talk regarding Canadian teams NOT making the playoffs and around the draft lottery it will be interestingtosee if more of this continues, it has started on the local media now too.

I take tanking with a grain of salt tho. Teams used to tank because the lottery odds were way better back then, ala Penguins and Blackhawks. The playing field is a lot more level now with the draft lottery changes. So tanking doesn't always give you the best result. Teams need to sell tickets and some fan bases can handle a full tank, others cannot...i'm in the mindset that our fan base may not have the patience for a total dismantle (maybe i'm wrong??)...I'm not pro or con tank one way or another, just my observations. I'm a fan and will continue to be. Hopefully this year is our year for 1st overall, lord knows we need it.

Archived