The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Media, Getting Giggles About Canucks and Tanking

TheGuardian_

2 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

They weren't wrong in what they said.  Only the biggest of homers thought that the Canucks were getting into the playoffs this year.

Granted, I don't think anybody thought that the Canucks had a legitimate shot at finishing dead last...

Welcome to CDC.  Are you new here?

i listened to ray and the other no name dumbo, both were jokes.  ray calls himself a sports analyst ,  dig deeper ray, cause you are nowhere near that title. and neither is the other guy. calling Canuck fans delusional. i don't think i have met one fan who really thought we were going to the playoffs this year.  we hoped , but that is as far as we got.  as for twitter i heard ray is not well liked!

2 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

They weren't wrong in what they said.  Only the biggest of homers thought that the Canucks were getting into the playoffs this year.

Granted, I don't think anybody thought that the Canucks had a legitimate shot at finishing dead last...

This. I didn’t expect us to come close to the playoffs, but I expected some improvement, IE crack 70 points. In that regard, it’s been pretty disappointing as a fan. 

3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I've kinda' seen Ferraro as a listless flag that waves in the direction the wind is blowing. Maybe ilk like him feel they're almost lowered to half-mast? If one feels irrelevancy approaching, they'll likely accept being raised & lowered by others.

His career definitely mirrored that, floating around from one place to another.  Still he's better than Kypreos who looks like he's always ready to punch someone in the face and has manners of a cave dweller (talking over and louder than others to get his two cents in).  Rays not all that bad, in a few years he will pay praises our way when the wind swings back our way.

I figured we would come in 1-12 to the bottom this year 12 only if we got really lucky with injuries and 1 if we got unlucky. I'm happy we are where we are not for the injuries, but there is value to finishing at the bottom of the standing at the draft. There is also value experience wise in making the playoffs, however there is very little value in ending the season just outside the playoffs.

I'm not sure if that makes me a tanker as I hope for the best at the beginning of the season, but once it's obvious we won't make the playoffs I hope for the lowest possible finish for better draft position.

4 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

It was bound to happen and now when discussing teams making the playoffs I expect there will be more of this kind of media observations.

Cue the "eastern media hate us", the "eastern media doesn't know", the " eastern ....blah, blah, blah" posters

This maybe just the start of the "what the ? are they doing" or the "at last they acknowledge....." or "they are finally doing ....." maybe even some stuff like this.

Comments on national radio by a major network about the Vancouver Canucks and management.

https://www.tsn.ca/video/is-there-an-nhl-team-openly-tanking-this-season~1347720

c970592da4baf6b05ff78b879da1ae9a15000560

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

No shortage of irony that "tank nation" are also the people pretending to expect results in the shorter term, because they were dumb enough to swallow the flake news of people like Ferraro who misrepresent what management has said, and don't actually understand what the franchise has done.   Ferraro oversold himself on straw conception of a rething - in the midst of how in-vogue it was to make a joke of the league in the way that Toronto thoroughly and repeatedly did - and were rewarded for it.

Additionally, they were daft enough to think the team would be this bad - when healthy - and were punked by this team when it was - so they're back in a void to try to congratulate themselves for 'knowing' how bad 'we' are.

It's really very simple. 

The team wasn't good enough to sustain the volume of injuries it has to key players.

It's also not good enough to take nights off and win regardless, particularly when it has half a lineup.

Anyhow, I look forward to the draft - our team earns its high picks through misfortune, not a "plan" to be as horrible as possible.

And I look forward to the start of next season when we can once again see what this team - when it's relatively healthy - is made of.

I actually think the Canucks deserve a lot of credit for the Oilers season.

They showed Deadmonton on opening night that a decade of lottery picks will not make you a contender.

They broke them right out of the gate.  Dorset owned their star.  The rest of our team outworked and outclassed them.  It was a very rude awakening that might have actually predicated a reality check season for them.

I'm proud of this team - they looked great when they were healthy - they worked hard all year long - and now they are severely over-matched by most good opponents.  I feel bad for them - and this is precisely one of the reasons I'm not a proponent of tankdown teardowns.  I do not want our player subjected to this for protracted periods of time, certainly not years on end - and I'm sure they can - to a man - tell you the difference between 'remaining competitive' - as they have been when relatively healthy - and 'planning' to be severely overmatched, which no athlete wants to endure for long.

I look at the parity in the NHL - no team is going to sustain the level of injuries this team did and survive the season.

I look at teams like St Louis, Anaheim, Calgary, Chicago, Edmonton - and they are all on the outside looking in on the playoff picture.  It doesn't take much to separate relatively good teams from playoff teams.

If the Canucks had been remotely healthy and found themselves where they are regardless - then I'd be concerned and would be calling for a re-rething.   But the way Green had this group performing when he had an actual NHL lineup - I don't think it takes an idiot to be optimistic whatsoever.  In fact, I saw the impact that one serious scoring threat could add to this team's ability to compete.  If Boeser were our last prospect, and we didn't have 8 players on I.R., then I'd be concerned.

Good post, Ferraro did not make Linden/Benning say those things, which they did say and "we think we are a playoff team", I don't know how that can be taken out of context, neither did he say the team is tanking.

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

All the more pleasure when this team rises again.

If it takes a decade like the teams with the "plans" (Deadmonton, Toronterrible) - then let the jokes fly.

Since 2012/2013 to now is how many years? 6? With one year that several teams did tank to get into the lottery for McDavid.

This team did not tank, not even close, they are just not good enough for a tank, tanking is something good teams do to get a better/good draft pick.

2 hours ago, riffraff said:

This is the

single

most ridiculous post this year.  Obviously there has been some stiff competition but congratulations on developing what we can now refer to as a 

"guardian"

You have a problem with me stating that this team is NOT tanking?

14 minutes ago, Positive Canuck said:

Rays got an inflated sense of ego. He's a windbag.  Blocks everyone on twitter that points out his contradictions. 
Cringe when i hear people say Ferraro should be gm

1 hour ago, bree2 said:

i listened to ray and the other no name dumbo, both were jokes.  ray calls himself a sports analyst ,  dig deeper ray, cause you are nowhere near that title. and neither is the other guy. calling Canuck fans delusional. i don't think i have met one fan who really thought we were going to the playoffs this year.  we hoped , but that is as far as we got.  as for twitter i heard ray is not well liked!

Pretty soon you will have to list those that don't criticize the Canucks present position/condition because that list will be much smaller. remember some people you see in the media (Canuck broadcasts) are paid by the Canucks.

Just now, oldnews said:

spare the cheap paraphrasing.

post an accurate quote / reference with some context thanks - otherwise it's just more hair-of-the-dog fog.

Really, that game now? If you ignored the statement before then you will just ignore it now or find some other way to sanitize what was said, something like "they really meant competitive internally and didn't mean competitive versus other teams" or "winning environment"  meant something other than playing the game.

28 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Good post, Ferraro did not make Linden/Benning say those things, which they did say and "we think we are a playoff team", I don't know how that can be taken out of context, neither did he say the team is tanking.

Since 2012/2013 to now is how many years? 6? With one year that several teams did tank to get into the lottery for McDavid.

This team did not tank, not even close, they are just not good enough for a tank, tanking is something good teams do to get a better/good draft pick.

You have a problem with me stating that this team is NOT tanking?

No that's not what I'm saying.  I bonded the part of your post I was responding to

5 hours ago, oldnews said:

something you'd expect any media idiot to be aware of before editorializing like flake news.....

Injuries
Derek Dorsett
Derek Dorsett
Brendan Gaunce
Brendan Gaunce
Markus Granlund
Markus Granlund
Loui Eriksson
Loui Eriksson
Chris Tanev
Chris Tanev
Sven Baertschi
Sven Baertschi
Brock Boeser
Brock Boeser
Erik Gudbranson
Erik Gudbranson

Yea so the real problem is half of those players suck. Yea sure I love 15 as much as anyone but Crosby's better.

40 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Yea so the real problem is half of those players suck. Yea sure I love 15 as much as anyone but Crosby's better.

yea, so that's a solid comparable, and as good as Crosby may be, I don't wear ship goggles as a result of the star-gazing.

which ones are the half that "suck"?  

12 minutes ago, oldnews said:

yea, so that's a solid comparable, and as good as Crosby may be, I don't wear ship goggles as a result of the star-gazing.

So the real point is injuries to half those players don't matter. Do you think Gaunce gets hurt in Tampa? I don't. He probably wouldn't make their farm team. Eriksson? Steve ain't that dumb.

Archived