The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Media, Getting Giggles About Canucks and Tanking

TheGuardian_

3 hours ago, RogersTowell said:

There's a pinned thread that you can fact check that assertion with.

•  
  • mikeyman109
  • Members
  • 653 posts
This year they start out healthy and win more games than expected but time and age catch up to Henrik who is hurt again this season and finally calls it quits at end of the year. Despite being out of it by the all start break I watch every game anyways hoping to see someone hammer Mc David. I watch the young players develop and we finish third last again only to pick 5 th in the rigged NHL lottery, which this season San Jose wins as interest in the west coast team s dwindles outside of Vancouver. Henrik and Daniel finally retire at the end of this season and we are ready to let BO and the young guns take on the team. At draft day in June we pick 5th and take a small forward again with the management telling us all about this kids heart and desire , which amount to nothing again as we still need grit and speed and skill with size. In the last round we take an unknown Russian kid nobody knows has played enough games to be eligible. Turns out to be the star player we haven't had since Bure.No offense to Daniel and Henrik. Actually turns out to be Pavel's unknown son who has been playing in the KHL with men since 16. Thatcher Demko is depressed with not being in the NHL already and demands the Canuck's trade him. Or maybe , just maybe the ghost of Pat Quinn visits Trevor Linden on Christmas eve and tells him where to find us Kirk Mclean Jyrki Lumme and Gus Adams kids to give us a chance at least. Last but not least Harold Snepts teaches the young defense men to grow a mustache like his and poof they magically turn into Norris trophy candidates overnight. In reality it wont be as bad as last year but we wont be in the playoffs either. Its rebuild time and we have to be patient. We have more years of missing the playoffs to come but we wont take as long as the Oilers to become relevant again.Now if we could just pick first ONCE!!!!

I got it wrong it being Henrik who got hurt it turned out to be BO and the Boeser but we were out of it at the all start break. We might still finish third last and get a 5th overall pick.

The young players have been developing

Henrik and Daniel might still retire at the end of the season

We all know at draft day the lotto balls usually work against us so we could still pick 5th

I may be wrong on us picking a Uber small forward i think it might be an Uber small D man instead.

We will miss the playoffs for a few more years but man oh man it would help to pick first this one time.

That's some great detective work, mll.  Thanks for that.

True enough - a better D would help balance out the scoring and our lack of such hurts the stats of all our players. Something I hadn't really thought about but it's pretty clear.

If you consider the Sedins as our 2nd line, and Baertschi, Horvat, Boeser as our 1st, the scoring itself isn't *that* bad.  Baertschi could score more, Horvat is close, and Boeser is just fine.  Both wingers aren't great on the forecheck nor defensively, but Boeser will get better and Baertschi has improved.  Still, they aren't where they need to be in that regard to drive the play as well as they could.

But I think the bigger issue is that when I say our forward lines aren't good enough, it's more reflective of the Sedins and the fact they are so poor defensively now.  Their game relies on puck possession and if they lose it, they are often caught deep or get a penalty to try to keep the opposition from getting an odd man rush.  Yes they still produce, but they allow the opposition to score so much that it takes away much of that ability from a general perspective.

Once they are out and we get talented guys in with some speed it will look a whole lot better. But you're right - no matter how good they are, the D has to be fixed badly.

2 hours ago, mll said:

It's unclear what's going to happen with the Sedins/Vanek but the production of the Canucks top-6 played equal with Nashville who is one of the best teams in the league right now - the goals against are an issue though, as well as the Ds and there are too many Fs who don't provide offence.

More and more teams are going for a balanced attack because it's more difficult to defend against.  The trend is also towards 3 scoring lines and one checking line.  Last playoffs Guy Boucher was saying that your 3rd line has to be your 4th line if you want to get through.  

When Nashville was in town at the start of this month, the production of the 6 leading scorers on the Canucks (Boeser, Horvat, Daniel, Henrik, Vanek, Baertschi) matched the production of the top-6 on the Predators in Pts /GP - can't use absolute numbers because of games missed.  It has probably changed since re injuries/recent struggles while the Predators have continued to hum along.

Boeser had the same P/GP as Forsberg and it went all the way to Baertschi and Turris.  Baer actually had a slightly better P/GP than Turris.  

In absolute today the Canucks top-6 scorers listed above, are only 8 goals and 6 assists from Nashville's top-6 (101 goals vs 109 / 151 assists vs 157) despite having missed more games (370 games played vs 379 for Nashville), scored 40 goals less overall (183 vs 223) and more line juggling.  

Boeser, Horvat and the Sedins always play top-6.  When Baer doesn't play top-6 with Horvat he ends up playing with the likes of Dowd, Sutter and even Chaput as his C.  That's a very different level of linemates than Turris who has always played on their 2nd line.  Baer has less than 30 games with Horvat-Boeser.   

Nashville's D-corps is one of the highest scoring in the league (with Minnesota and Vegas).  The production of the Fs would likely be impacted positively if they had Ds like Nashville. 

The Canucks Ds have scored 15 goals and have 84 assists for 99 pts vs 49 goals and 129 assists for 178 pts for Nashville's.  

Their Ds work so well with the Fs and really understand offence - they are not taking weak unscreened shots when they have Fs wide open but working with them to create scoring opportunities.  

A lot of their offence starts with the Ds making a defensive play and then rushing up ice with speed and it backs everyone off - they don't want their Ds to simply make a 1st pass.  Laviolette says if you don't have your Ds part of the attack you are not going to generate offence - it's like playing shorthanded 3v5 because teams are defending at 5.  If they can't score on the entry then they cycle with the Fs.  

There's some work to do on the blue line.  Rutherford said that it's bringing in Schultz and Daley that has turned their season around a couple of seasons ago.  He was saying he failed Johnston by not bringing in the PMDs he asked for.  Johnston and Green often paired PMDs together in Portland and wanted them right up in the play.  

If you lok at that D as a group they are a big mobile defense group that can skate and defend. There are only 2 defensemen under 6 feet at 5'11 and 5'10 and they only have one player in Ellis that plays under 200 lbs.They can play in both ends of the rink. I don't see any 5'9, 170  players on their D Roster of course they also have a lights out goalie  that allows the D to be up in the play more in the offensive zone. Thanks for the information its relevant here for sure

I mean the Canucks faced a lot of teams that did not bring their A game against us early on in the year, but relatively healthy we're still probably 10 points better than right now; that puts us around the .500 mark with mediocre teams like Detroit, New York Islanders, Hurricanes.

Most frustrating for me is the drop off in play, again. I thought early on the Canucks played an excellent system, and were producing solid efforts and good hockey to watch even in losses. But I thought the same thing last season. The only difference was this year it lasted a month longer.

Injuries happen. I hate to see parallels between us and those Oilers teams where the team looked ok to start the season until the first sign of trouble and then the habbit of losing kicks back in.

43 minutes ago, cbdoubleu said:

I mean the Canucks faced a lot of teams that did not bring their A game against us early on in the year, but relatively healthy we're still probably 10 points better than right now; that puts us around the .500 mark with mediocre teams like Detroit, New York Islanders, Hurricanes.

Most frustrating for me is the drop off in play, again. I thought early on the Canucks played an excellent system, and were producing solid efforts and good hockey to watch even in losses. But I thought the same thing last season. The only difference was this year it lasted a month longer.

Injuries happen. I hate to see parallels between us and those Oilers teams where the team looked ok to start the season until the first sign of trouble and then the habbit of losing kicks back in.

I think we surprised a lot of teams with the change in style and the quickness the team had at the start of the year.

The drop in play has been consistent with the injuries and the lack of depth the team has currently.

Frustration builds with the hopes that fans have that we can re build in two years. It doesn't happen that fast , you need to draft and those players are still at least a year or two away. The oilers are terribly mismanaged and have no prospects in the system especially on defense because they took the best player available and didn't pay any attention to drafting defensemen.

Younger teams tend to need some seasoning before they can win as they have to learn to win and what it takes to win.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2018 at 11:29 AM, TheGuardian_ said:

Comments on national radio by a major network about the Vancouver Canucks and management.

https://www.tsn.ca/video/is-there-an-nhl-team-openly-tanking-this-season~1347720

Two ignorant muppets and Ferraro lowers himself to their level.  Does he think we don't hear when he's off elsewhere, or does he really believe what he says?  What nonsense -- the Canucks WERE competing for a playoff spot before injuries hit.  Are they really that ignorant, or just have memories that don't go back further than 3-4 months? 

And people have advocated this guy for GM, lol.

7 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Two ignorant muppets and Ferraro lowers himself to their level.  Does he think we don't hear when he's off elsewhere, or does he really believe what he says?  What nonsense -- the Canucks WERE competing for a playoff spot before injuries hit.  Are they really that ignorant, or just have memories that don't go back further than 3-4 months? 

This team was never going to be a playoff team, read my post in the predictions thread. What between the periods stuff during games.

The Canucks are becoming the team they don't talk about anymore, even in Canuck games and watch the "panel" on any station, listen to all the radio stations.

I do find it odd that Detroit and Chicago can tank like they are and not get more time, but then they only have had this bad season not 4 out of 5.

On 2018-03-16 at 1:23 PM, mikeyman109 said:
  •  
  • mikeyman109
  • Members
  • 653 posts
This year they start out healthy and win more games than expected but time and age catch up to Henrik who is hurt again this season and finally calls it quits at end of the year. Despite being out of it by the all start break I watch every game anyways hoping to see someone hammer Mc David. I watch the young players develop and we finish third last again only to pick 5 th in the rigged NHL lottery, which this season San Jose wins as interest in the west coast team s dwindles outside of Vancouver. Henrik and Daniel finally retire at the end of this season and we are ready to let BO and the young guns take on the team. At draft day in June we pick 5th and take a small forward again with the management telling us all about this kids heart and desire , which amount to nothing again as we still need grit and speed and skill with size. In the last round we take an unknown Russian kid nobody knows has played enough games to be eligible. Turns out to be the star player we haven't had since Bure.No offense to Daniel and Henrik. Actually turns out to be Pavel's unknown son who has been playing in the KHL with men since 16. Thatcher Demko is depressed with not being in the NHL already and demands the Canuck's trade him. Or maybe , just maybe the ghost of Pat Quinn visits Trevor Linden on Christmas eve and tells him where to find us Kirk Mclean Jyrki Lumme and Gus Adams kids to give us a chance at least. Last but not least Harold Snepts teaches the young defense men to grow a mustache like his and poof they magically turn into Norris trophy candidates overnight. In reality it wont be as bad as last year but we wont be in the playoffs either. Its rebuild time and we have to be patient. We have more years of missing the playoffs to come but we wont take as long as the Oilers to become relevant again.Now if we could just pick first ONCE!!!!

I got it wrong it being Henrik who got hurt it turned out to be BO and the Boeser but we were out of it at the all start break. We might still finish third last and get a 5th overall pick.

The young players have been developing

Henrik and Daniel might still retire at the end of the season

We all know at draft day the lotto balls usually work against us so we could still pick 5th

I may be wrong on us picking a Uber small forward i think it might be an Uber small D man instead.

We will miss the playoffs for a few more years but man oh man it would help to pick first this one time.

So Boqvist or Hughes?

10 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Because he isn’t a liar or truth-stretching play-it-safe homer. 

Anyone who disagrees with him must be stupid, I read. 

25 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

This team was never going to be a playoff team, read my post in the predictions thread.

How does that have any relevance whatsoever?  The Canucks were in contention for the playoffs before being hit by multiple long-term injuries to significant players.  That is fact, not opinion or a "prediction".

The Canucks are becoming the team they don't talk about anymore, even in Canuck games and watch the "panel" on any station, listen to all the radio stations.

What does that even mean?  What team is that?  And why are you appealing to "panels" and radio stations in the first place when they are admittedly nothing but entertainers and ratings-mongers?

22 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Because he isn’t a liar or truth-stretching play-it-safe homer. 

Anyone who disagrees with him must be stupid, I read. 

He's engaging in Botchford-style false narratives.  The others lied, and he went along with it.  All one has to do to see that is look at the standings in the Fall, and have actually watched games for themself.

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

He's engaging in Botchford-style false narratives.  The others lied, and he went along with it.  All one has to do to see that is look at the standings in the Fall, and have actually watched games for themself.

As for injuries...

The injuries have been a pattern since his first season as a GM. 

They shouldn’t  be a surprise factor in the team’s suckcess. 

On 3/16/2018 at 2:03 PM, cbdoubleu said:

Oilers never dealt with 2/3 of their top line seeing less than 1/2 of the season together and having less than 30 games with more than 2 of their top 4 D in lineup at same time.    Injuries do happen but is also important to note who they happen to and few teams in the NHL have had more impactful injuries this year than your Canucks.   

Archived