The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tempting Pkg For DAHLIN?(discussion)

1 minute ago, Where's Wellwood said:

What if Edmonton gets lucky and wins the third pick? #3 pick, Draisaitl, Nurse for #1

I think they'd be nuts to offer that!..Don't think they would.

Smarter to draft Svech/Zadina.

Then trade Drai for ANOTHER top-6 or 7 pick. Draft a Bouchard-type.

McD is so young, why not play the long game?

16 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Playing this scenario as JB- I want Dahlin so fricken bad. Draisatl is very enticing, but no. 

But I'm crazy. 

Well Ariz just went up 2-1, Lucky..we're inch-worming closer :^)

edit: & they're down! Man..been jinxing some teams lately!

If it's 3-4 young roster players with top potential and signed to cheap contracts, I think it would be tough to not accept some package, even if it's for someone like Dahlin.

e.g. the Winnipeg offering, I'd ask for some combination of 

Schiefele - young 25 year old center who's already a #1

Morrissey/ Trouba - young cornerstone D-man (mobile puck-mover or shutdown guy who's adept for current NHL)

blue-chip prospect for another positional need (maybe a complementary D-man to the one above?)

1st

Getting foundational guys can set the team in the right direction for years to come.  Now Dahlin can definitely be a ground-breaking guy, but if I'm a team like Buffalo as mentioned with gaps in the roster, I'd dangle the pick for as many prime assets as I can get, and maybe get Bogosian sent the other way as part of the deal.  One great fix is definitely advantageous, but getting 4 slightly less hyped guys for one top-end guy seems like a worthwhile drop-off.

18 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

If it's 3-4 young roster players with top potential and signed to cheap contracts, I think it would be tough to not accept some package, even if it's for someone like Dahlin.

e.g. the Winnipeg offering, I'd ask for some combination of 

Schiefele - young 25 year old center who's already a #1

Morrissey/ Trouba - young cornerstone D-man (mobile puck-mover or shutdown guy who's adept for current NHL)

blue-chip prospect for another positional need (maybe a complementary D-man to the one above?)

1st

Getting foundational guys can set the team in the right direction for years to come.  Now Dahlin can definitely be a ground-breaking guy, but if I'm a team like Buffalo as mentioned with gaps in the roster, I'd dangle the pick for as many prime assets as I can get, and maybe get Bogosian sent the other way as part of the deal.  One great fix is definitely advantageous, but getting 4 slightly less hyped guys for one top-end guy seems like a worthwhile drop-off.

Agreed with this angle. The big Que/Philly deal has likely cast a longgg shadow.(albeit a cap world)

2 hours ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

If NYI won the #2 and #3 I would maybe trade the #1 OA to them for both. This way you can get a Malkin level scorer and a potential top 2 dman in Boqvist.

Yet again, a #1 franchise dman are hard to find.

tempting but id still rather have dahlin   we have brock gaudette bo and petersson and lind virtanen on forward we need that superatar 1a dman 

8 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Would you accept Edmonton's 2018 first (not lottery protected), Draisaitl, and Nurse in exchange for the 1st pick? 

You would have to consider it.  Same with the OP WNP haul.  Dahlin has done nothing yet.  Sure he's the second coming of Lidstrom, but is he really?  If someone is willing to sell the farm to Vancouver (add scheiffle or Laine and itd be hard to say no), then I say let them.

If Dahlin really is the best Swedish defenseman ever available at the draft then we'd have to keep him.  Plus he's already imaging himself on a team with Pettersson and his best buddy Dahlen.

Dahlin fits everywhere now and long term. He can slot into every top 4 in the league. He would be cheap for 3 years and at the very least be the 4th best defencemen on even the deepest of D-cores. That's just year 1, he could and likely would be the best D-man on any given team inside of 2-3 years. Hell he'd be our best D-man right now. Lol. The price for him would be unrealistic and no one would pay for it.

Never say never

even in November

OP likes to rhyme

so do I from time to time

Don't want to be a spoiler

the best bet would revolve around a coiler

this isn't your cousin's recital

they'll offer Leon Draisatl

14 hours ago, luckylager said:

IMO, if you want elite you have to trade elite. And overpay just because #1OA.

In your Wpg proposal for example - Laine or Scheifele have to be going back the other way.

Laine + 1st + prospect would most likely get it done.

Or 

Scheif+trouba + 1st + prospect....+.

Though our pick will be higher than Wpg, still looking at

Boeser / Pettersson + Juolevi + 1st and we still might need to add.

One player does not make a team at this level. Maybe in Peewee. Gut your team for one guy and you will be screwed long-term. Better to grab another great piece and build a wave rather than a big splash.

47 minutes ago, groovy said:

One player does not make a team at this level. Maybe in Peewee. Gut your team for one guy and you will be screwed long-term. Better to grab another great piece and build a wave rather than a big splash.

Thanks, Tips!

Not sure how you arrived at the conclusion I'm advocating for gutting a team to pick up Dahlin.. OP created a discussion on what it would take to trade for the #1 overall, not a hypothetical "what would you give up" scenario.

Oh, and no $&!#.

9 hours ago, canuktravella said:

tempting but id still rather have dahlin   we have brock gaudette bo and petersson and lind virtanen on forward we need that superatar 1a dman 

I would absolutely trade the #1 if that meant us getting the #2 and #3.  Without question.

If Dahlen is a 10 in talent and guys like Zadina and/or Svechnikov are 9's (which, by most accounts they aren't THAT far away from Dahlin's talent - although Dahlin is the undisputed #1), then that basically gives you 19 as opposed to 10. I like having all-out stars as much as the next guy, but rosters aren't made up of 1-man teams.

It also lessens the potential of a bust when there are two guys who could hit their ceilings as opposed to just one.

Or, alternatively, we could then trade away one of those picks along with a roster player we don't want/need and get a defensive prospect back that would be ready for the NHL pretty much right away.  No, that guy probably won't be as good as Dahlin but he'd still be the #1 d we are in need of, and we still have an extra potentially 1st line forward to show for it.

6 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Never say never

even in November

OP likes to rhyme

so do I from time to time

Don't want to be a spoiler

the best bet would revolve around a coiler

this isn't your cousin's recital

they'll offer Leon Draisatl

Awoke to fine sutra, from guru TM

Searched as the Beatles, hippie times way back when

He was chanting with wisdom

Not just mere hollow fandom

So what have I learned, from arduous quest?

Franchise yearnin' for 1D, to be the best

Frantic balls of the lotto; wayward bounce of the puck

We'll more likely get burned, from that Gotham ****!

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

I wouldn't offer that if I was Chevy. 

If you would kindly indulge me RS, could you tell me the skinny on Roslovic(heard very little)? How good do they expect that kid to be(comparables)?

Also hear this kid they picked last draft(Vesalainen)? Is impressive..but I figured they'd keep him with countryman, Laine. Traditionally WPG has faired well with the Nord/Scandinavian dudes.

They seem set almost everywhere, so I could see them amassing assets for a big Kahuna(factoring in future cap, as well). Really admire the Peg's drafting.

54 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

If you would kindly indulge me RS, could you tell me the skinny on Roslovic(heard very little)? How good do they expect that kid to be(comparables)?

Also hear this kid they picked last draft(Vesalainen)? Is impressive..but I figured they'd keep him with countryman, Laine. Traditionally WPG has faired well with the Nord/Scandinavian dudes.

They seem set almost everywhere, so I could see them amassing assets for a big Kahuna(factoring in future cap, as well). Really admire the Peg's drafting.

Didn't see a reply on this so I can fill you in a bit. J Roslovic is considered the 19th best prospect not in the NHL, RW, 21 years old, 6-1 187lbs, is just over PPG in the AHL and considered a future top six guy with a 200ft game.  On our team he'd be our second best prospect according to THN future watch.. almost a can't miss.

Vesalainen ranked 55, LW, 6-3 209lbs (big kid).  Last year he was inconsistent, but this year his offensive accumen and bulky frame has allowed him to hang with the seasoned competitors and he's  raising eyebrows.  He'd slot in between Demko (38) and Dahlen (66) on the same ranking system (Gaudette 77 and rising).  Paraphrased from page 64 and 67 Future Watch 2018.

Edit: with who they have now, how well Hellebuchyk is playing ( and how well they played without their number one center this year for lengths of time), PLUS four very good to decent prospects and other potentials (Logan Stanley?) they have a shot at doing something special for at least the next five years if not longer.  The Central is loaded now and WNP appears ready to be heir apparent to CHI.

Archived