The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake's Contract..Looks Like What???

Nuxfanabroad

As a summer RFA, I think this one is quite a curious question. Due to a number of variables, I'd suspect this negotiation will have more of a big hit/miss aspect to it.

- high pick(hasn't yet met expectations)

- size & speed, we need

- insinuations it wasn't JB's 1st choice?

- local kid(the Cam Neely hang-ups, PTSD)

- We do have quite the growing wealth, on W's/fwds

I'd bank on/invest in Jake, even offering a longer bridge(w/NTC) due to his likely local boy-loyalty. I'm thinking something in the 5yr/2.5 mill-range(akin to Burr's cost-saving beauty deal).

Biggest downside if we traded: Another Neely scenario

Biggest downside if kept(& he doesn't progress): Something like Sandlak's legacy

As fans, we'll probably all rather it's the latter, if this doesn't go well(from perspective of say, a decade into the future). Let's hope we deal with neither of the two!

With Jake's beautiful stride, I suggest we try to lock him in for a lengthy period(accepting NTC), if he keeps the number easily digestible.

Opinions???

3 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

2 years, 1 million per, with incentives that are tied to how he plays as well as points.

I think it will be higher than 1 Mill per year but the incentives will be there. Jake has already shown more than a lot of the Vets we have signed for more years and cash.

Compared to Eriksson and Gagner Jake is worth Sedin money. He is improving and I think he will be better next year as well.

So say he "shows us", big-time?! Around the same moment, you'll be juggling Brock's BIG $$$ raise, EP's expiring ELC, etc...

Also assuming we'll perhaps deal for 1 or 2 D-men that require some major pesoes. Maybe Try-man returns too.

I CAN'T see Jake(23, 24 yo) playing at a level below 2 mill/value. For this reason, I try to stretch this contract.

16 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

As a summer RFA, I think this one is quite a curious question. Due to a number of variables, I'd suspect this negotiation will have more of a big hit/miss aspect to it.

- high pick(hasn't yet met expectations)

- size & speed, we need

- insinuations it wasn't JB's 1st choice?

- local kid(the Cam Neely hang-ups, PTSD)

- We do have quite the growing wealth, on W's/fwds

I'd bank on/invest in Jake, even offering a longer bridge(w/NTC) due to his likely local boy-loyalty. I'm thinking something in the 5yr/2.5 mill-range(akin to Burr's cost-saving beauty deal).

Biggest downside if we traded: Another Neely scenario

Biggest downside if kept(& he doesn't progress): Something like Sandlak's legacy

As fans, we'll probably all rather it's the latter, if this doesn't go well(from perspective of say, a decade into the future). Let's hope we deal with neither of the two!

With Jake's beautiful stride, I suggest we try to lock him in for a lengthy period(accepting NTC), if he keeps the number easily digestible.

Opinions???

BB_0178_685x255.jpg

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

It's a fine, longgg bridge, but IF that were engineered in FLOR, why we'd all be in a state of suspension, eh?

As long as no one diddled the cables, probably would be ok.

Jake needs a bridge deal.   Safest for both player and team.   He has certainly shown great strides this season but remains a work in progress.

I think he gets $2M max, but probably a bit less. I'd guess between $1.6M and $1.9M for two years. He hasn't yet proven himself stable over a long period of time yet.

21 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

2 years, 1 million per, with incentives that are tied to how he plays as well as points.

If by incentives, you mean bonuses, they can't be done on deals after the Entry Level Contract. The only options for bonuses are ELCs and one-year deals for players over 35.

7 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

As long as no one diddled the cables, probably would be ok.

Jake needs a bridge deal.   Safest for both player and team.   He has certainly shown great strides this season but remains a work in progress.

the question is, do you lengthen the bridge, an extra yr or two? If he pans out, reward him commensurately, with next deal.

With a sudden influx of talented youth, it might prove beneficial.

20 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

I think it will be higher than 1 Mill per year but the incentives will be there. Jake has already shown more than a lot of the Vets we have signed for more years and cash.

Compared to Eriksson and Gagner Jake is worth Sedin money. He is improving and I think he will be better next year as well.

As one of the worst teams in the league at the moment, it would be unwise to make comparisons within our group.. 

But I agree with you that we carry some of the worst contracts (beginning with Eriks)

So we shouldn't offer him a multi-million dollar contract just because there are other bad signings within the team that pays more than him.

Also, he is still a rough cut. Paying him too much wouldn't really give him incentives to get better. 

So, as few of us posted earlier in this thread, I think 1M/ season Bridge deal is fair. (1.5M max..)

And from what we have seen from him this season, I'd rather take the risk of paying him more after this bridge deal than to pay him handsomely for let's say 4~ 5 years. 

1 minute ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

As one of the worst teams in the league at the moment, it would be unwise to make comparisons within our group.. 

But I agree with you that we carry some of the worst contracts (beginning with Eriks)

So we shouldn't offer him a multi-million dollar contract just because there are other bad signings within the team that pays more than him.

Also, he is still a rough cut. Paying him too much wouldn't really give him incentives to get better. 

So, as few of us posted earlier in this thread, I think 1M/ season Bridge deal is fair. (1.5M max..)

I agree with everything you said except the cash. He will get more as one of our draft picks that we are developing and hey will either get him to where they think he will be or they will get rid of him at some point/someway after the 2nd contract. again I don't think your offer is unfair based on his play so far, but i think the GM and team will se it different if they still believe in the player. Just my opinion.

I am not an NHL GM although i play one on TV

7 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I'd offer him 4 years at 2.5.  Worst case we end up with a slight overpayment.  Best case, he becomes a 50 point power winger (which I firmly believe he will), and we get the last 2 years at a bargain of a deal.

Precisely. Reminiscent of the Burrows deal. That seemed to create good vibes that influenced other player-negotiations. Could work again.

5 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

the question is, do you lengthen the bridge, an extra yr or two? If he pans out, reward him commensurately, with next deal.

With a sudden influx of talented youth, it might prove beneficial.

Agreed.   I think Vancouver needs to avoid the potential grief Edmonton and Toronto will find themselves as early as next season by having some stratification and staging to contracts.   At the same time, Jake has developed at a slower pace than others and his "big day" if it comes will be after this next contract versus being the one signed after ELC.    That alone is a nice stagger but, to your point, getting that to three or four years versus a two-year bridge may well be worth a bit extra $.

28 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Probably right on it being higher, I'm hoping they don't go over 1.25, 1 way deal, give him a reasonable performance bonus that can get him to 1.5 and a better stretch performance bonus that can get him to 2 million. Let's see if that helps motivate him to keep improving. Still think we have a good young player with Jake, I'm glad that Green is behind the bench to keep pushing him in the right direction.

Archived