The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Bad Restaurant

brokensticks

1 hour ago, brokensticks said:

Imagine this scenario.

You have been going to your favourite restaurant for years but lately they have served you horrible food. When you complain to management, they apologize and tell you that their current chef is old and slow and ready to retire. But they have a new chef coming who is still at BCIT and getting really high marks so please keep coming to our restaurant and eat the bad meals because things will get better.

What do you say to the restaurant owner?

Sounds good so long as I get free beer.

Ah I see the food went all light and flimsy, smaller day old portions and you just wanted a fresh and manly meat and potatoes.

You want good 'ole Canadian portions. Hearty meals. Tell the manager you'll just have a soup and salad for now and cancel your annual birthday bash every  April. 

I would probably go to the restaurant's online forum and start all sorts of threads on how they should prepare the food, even though I have no expertise in food preparation myself.  Well, except I have a restaurant video game which I am an expert at and that's pretty much the same thing as running a real restaurant.

Additionally, I will create all sorts of proposals about how we should make the restaurant worse in order to get top pick at chef school and how we should trade our best server for a dish washer and another chef who has shown promise but has problems showing up for work consistently.

2 hours ago, brokensticks said:

Imagine this scenario.

You have been going to your favourite restaurant for years but lately they have served you horrible food. When you complain to management, they apologize and tell you that their current chef is old and slow and ready to retire. But they have a new chef coming who is still at BCIT and getting really high marks so please keep coming to our restaurant and eat the bad meals because things will get better.

Is this something that you were told? 

I'd just say, "OK." And then, stop going. There are many many great restaurants in Vancouver and maybe it's time to develop a new one.

Imagine this scenario.

I'd say, "you're lucky this is the only professional restaurant in this province" 

I don't eat there again.  There are many restaurants to choose from.  One of the things that really gets me of when the wait staff to too busy talking to one another and am waiting to be seated or approached, or are on their cell phone while seating you.  I keep that in mind, and don' t go back.  I don't say anything to the staff nor management, I just don't go back. 

I have not ate at the restaurants since December.  That's a good thing - it is part of my diet I have been on, and I have saved a lot of money.  

31 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

I would probably go to the restaurant's online forum and start all sorts of threads on how they should prepare the food, even though I have no expertise in food preparation myself.  Well, except I have a restaurant video game which I am an expert at and that's pretty much the same thing as running a real restaurant.

Additionally, I will create all sorts of proposals about how we should make the restaurant worse in order to get top pick at chef school and how we should trade our best server for a dish washer and another chef who has shown promise but has problems showing up for work consistently.

OMG this is the best answer ever to a silly question.

Can we also draft a delivery driver when the top 15 are great chefs.

I'd throw on an apron and show these clowns how it's done.  As for the metaphor, if the Nucks have some five-star chefs in the pipeline than this team is going to be quite succulent when they're finished slow roasting.

1 hour ago, Darius71 said:

What if you have been going to that restaurant for the better part of 4 decades, and you know that this restaurant, along with all the others in the neighbourhood, go through bad cycles.  Your experience, and your reference to historical precedence, makes you realize that you have to be patient and you need to stick it out and wait for the new star chefs to get hired.   Its how things work.  Of course, as a long time patron, you knew that the owner should have done a complete renovation  about 5 years ago but in the grand scheme of things you couldnt really blame the guy who has a mountain of money tied up in the business for trying to patch up the place with a paint job and a couple extra hired hands.  You know now that the owner and manager are back on track and the restaurant has rebounded several times before.

I can see that newer patrons, especially younger ones that haven't seen the restaurant in a prolonged bad cycle before and are used to being quickly gratified with all of their modern entertainment options , would become highly critical and start complaining on yelp  and to who anyone else that would listen online.

I was around when the Canucks entered the league. I had season tickets in the 70's and 80's until work took me away from BC for 24 years.

This team has a LONG history of questionable ownership that has hired equally questionable management and, so far, I'm having trouble seeing where our current situation is any different. I have been a very loyal fan but everything has a breaking limit and the Canucks have managed to find mine.

I made a career as senior management for a large company so I feel I am qualified to say - if the Canucks corporation were in any other industry, they would be bankrupt because of poor management and customer relations.

I'm tired of feeling angry and frustrated after watching their games.

Call me when they get it together.

Imagine this scenario.

Fun thread, some good answers although it seems that some people did not get the analogy. I found the entrees pretty disappointing but the tapas were intriguing. I know many people like good old meat and potatoes but that can get pretty boring and tough to digest. I will keep coming back for the hors d'oeuvres.

27 minutes ago, brokensticks said:

I was around when the Canucks entered the league. I had season tickets in the 70's and 80's until work took me away from BC for 24 years.

This team has a LONG history of questionable ownership that has hired equally questionable management and, so far, I'm having trouble seeing where our current situation is any different. I have been a very loyal fan but everything has a breaking limit and the Canucks have managed to find mine.

I made a career as senior management for a large company so I feel I am qualified to say - if the Canucks corporation were in any other industry, they would be bankrupt because of poor management and customer relations.

I'm tired of feeling angry and frustrated after watching their games.

Call me when they get it together.

But I can say the same for practically every other team during different periods of their histories.  

50 years of no cup sucks for sure, but as a long time fan, after everything you have seen go on here... when you examine that team and roster in 2013 along with the nature of the contracts and the state of the prospect pool did you really expect a quick (sub 5 year) turn around?  I can see this getting bogged down into a management hack job discussion - there are about 10 other threads you can fill your boots in....

3 hours ago, brokensticks said:

Imagine this scenario.

Thats exactly what's happening but the died hard regulars will still eat the s#_$ sandwich and not complain (much) because they've been eating here so long they know three chefs ago the restaurant went through the same thing and came out fine each time a new chef arrived (sometime the burgers were bad for just as long or longer, but it's still our favorite hang out and the ambience is addictive). 

The more recent customers have been spoiled rotten given the foods been mostly good to excellent the last two decades.  

45 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

But I can say the same for practically every other team during different periods of their histories.  

50 years of no cup sucks for sure, but as a long time fan, after everything you have seen go on here... when you examine that team and roster in 2013 along with the nature of the contracts and the state of the prospect pool did you really expect a quick (sub 5 year) turn around?  I can see this getting bogged down into a management hack job discussion - there are about 10 other threads you can fill your boots in....

Amen.

Archived