The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Bad Restaurant

brokensticks

1 hour ago, Toni Zamboni said:

just dont hire Dan Cloutier to be your "Prep Cook"

Uhhhhh, he's totally the bar manager... Back when he was the bar keep he had a knack for flashy, cocktail-esque drink slingling, he'd put on an amazing show at happy hour.

Problem is, on the big nights like NYE and St. Pats, the guy couldn't even pour a beer...

2 hours ago, brilac said:

I don't eat there again.  There are many restaurants to choose from.  One of the things that really gets me of when the wait staff to too busy talking to one another and am waiting to be seated or approached, or are on their cell phone while seating you.  I keep that in mind, and don' t go back.  I don't say anything to the staff nor management, I just don't go back. 

I have not ate at the restaurants since December.  That's a good thing - it is part of my diet I have been on, and I have saved a lot of money.  

What is missing from this is that it is the ONLY restaurant in town. At least the only one serving the kind of food that most people like. Good old North American cuisine. Nice heaping servings of meat n potatoes,  and milk hot dogs for the kids. Sure there's the Whitecaps fish n chip stand, or the Lions' Wally's burgers but they are closed for much of the time when the Canucks Cafe would be open, and their cuisine just does not satisfy like the Canucks Cafe food as long as everything is running smooth. 

There really is no choice. We have to stand around in the rain outside the restaurant and just hope the owners are hiring the right staff and chefs. And that now that they actually are going ahead with the renovations, after finally shutting down in a few weeks time, for the Summer, that in the fall when it reopens, they'll have a new look, and  fired the staff that is unproductive and hired on a younger more eager staff that wants to work to make the Canucks Cafe the best restaurant not just in Vancouver but in North America!

5 hours ago, brokensticks said:

Imagine this scenario.

You have been going to your favourite restaurant for years but lately they have served you horrible food. When you complain to management, they apologize and tell you that their current chef is old and slow and ready to retire. But they have a new chef coming who is still at BCIT and getting really high marks so please keep coming to our restaurant and eat the bad meals because things will get better.

What do you say to the restaurant owner?

Are you a fan of the restaurant or only interested in good food? If you're only interested in good food there are 30 other restaurants you can be a fan of.

5 hours ago, brokensticks said:

Imagine this scenario.

You have been going to your favourite restaurant for years but lately they have served you horrible food. When you complain to management, they apologize and tell you that their current chef is old and slow and ready to retire. But they have a new chef coming who is still at BCIT and getting really high marks so please keep coming to our restaurant and eat the bad meals because things will get better.

Let's all stop going to the restaurant so that it can go under. Then when the new chef arrives there's no restaurant for him to cook in and no restaurant for us to eat at.

I think I would tell the owner that I understand, sometimes quality high end chefs are hard to come by and patience may be required. In the mean time some good daily beer specials and a couple of busty waitresses may help the regulars forget about the lousy food while reminiscing about the good old days. Times change and turnover happens but every business should be taking care of their clientele even in the down times. 

Just do as my family would.

Threaten the owner with a painful death, if he don't supply vittles to you & yer friends, see? Pinch the waitresses butt at every opportunity.

Keep eatin there lika' pig, & drink lika' fish. Owner gets cash troubles, Angioponne, lends him some cash to keep it goin..put it in his name.

Can't turn a profit no more..& costs escalatin'?..Heh, BOOM! Goes the dynamite! Burn the house down, & collect insurance-payout!

btw, there's another little bistro in the next town we got our eye on...

5 hours ago, goalie13 said:

I would probably go to the restaurant's online forum and start all sorts of threads on how they should prepare the food, even though I have no expertise in food preparation myself.  Well, except I have a restaurant video game which I am an expert at and that's pretty much the same thing as running a real restaurant.

Additionally, I will create all sorts of proposals about how we should make the restaurant worse in order to get top pick at chef school and how we should trade our best server for a dish washer and another chef who has shown promise but has problems showing up for work consistently.

/thread

5 hours ago, Bo fan said:

OK I don't get it - we wanted a rebuild - that is what is happening.  What did you expect was going to happen. All these kids that are up and coming aren't ready to play here this season - hopefully some of them will be in the fall. Some of out aging vets are still under contract with NM and NT clauses. Their time is  coming to an end on this team - we know it and they know it too.

The attitude in this forum was so different when Brock, Bo and Baer were playing - now because  Brock and Baer are out with injuries and the team is struggling this place is like a sinking ship and the rats are escaping and complaining.

Some of this season has been some of the best entertaining hockey I have seen from the Canucks in years.And without a doubt the last games have been hard to watch. I feel so bad for the players - it has to be hard to lose  game in and game out.

So in the end I eat the burger on the  bun even though the place up the road has better food - and believe that next season will bring in more youth

And FYI I hear Moxies in Calgary serves up a mighty fine dish

Just my 2 cents worth.

Did I get this all wrong? Was this really about bad food at a rest or was this about our team playing poorly in the last stretch?

No $&!#, typical Canuck fan.  Comparing a restaurant to a hockey team.  Lol.  What do people expect from a rebuild.  

Said it before and I’ll say it again, fairweather fan base who only support front runners. 

Also, maybe the food is $&!# because there is 8-9 main ingredients that aren’t available.  

3 hours ago, Stelar said:

No $&!#, typical Canuck fan.  Comparing a restaurant to a hockey team.  Lol.  What do people expect from a rebuild.  

Said it before and I’ll say it again, fairweather fan base who only support front runners. 

Also, maybe the food is $&!# because there is 8-9 main ingredients that aren’t available.  

LOL agreed on the ingredients. They are out of season until the new crop comes in.

Now if we could just change the name of the arena to Hooters, I never went there for the food!!!!

13 hours ago, brokensticks said:

Imagine this scenario.

Imagine this scenario.

You decide to stop going to that restaurant because you don't like the food. This is your right, and I support you in this decision.

The owner of the restaurant, because s/he is no longer getting the local financial support, decides to move his/her business down the street into another neighborhood.

regards,  G.

If you're on this board, you say:

- 'The management's amazing!'

- 'They have the best group of 1st and 2nd-year culinary students EVER!'

- 'The previous manager, the one who got the restaurant two Michelin stars and just missed out on a 3rd, is an IDIOT!'

- 'We should be more positive, plug our noses, and scarf down the rotten dog-food they've been feeding us - at top prices - while telling us the restaurant can currently compete with the best restaurants on Earth!'

- 'That top-flight young chef we hired, who was supposed to be top-6 in the world, isn't really that bad.  He's just a sous-chef.  OK, maybe not a sous-chef, but he's a damn good line-cook!  Well, he's a competent line-cook anyway.  I'd still take him instead of all the other choices we had, even though those guys are all James Beard Award winners by now.'

Archived