The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kovalchuk eyes NHL return, wants to play 'several more years'

Roberts

Kovalchuk  

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Wonder if Edmonton could give him a shot?  I know he's older but him with McDavid would probably still terrorize opponents (Connor can definitely lead the charge for a contender as one of the best in the league), plus they've been throwing everything but the kitchen sink on the wings on that team to make it work (Nuge and Ty Rattie are with Connor, while Lucic and Puljujarvi are on the 2nd line).  Honestly speaking I'm not sure they have any options that would currently be able to challenge him for top line wing roles if he signed there:

- Nuge: good scorer and talented, but could always shift back to C

- Poolparty: talented but not there yet (could see Ilya mentor him as a big skilled winger tho)

- Lucic/ Cammalleri: past their primes and no longer the top guys they used to be

- Strome/ Rattie/ Caggiula/ Slepyshev/ Aberg: young, but they don't have the same upside

At worst he would probably be like what Vanek was for us, a hired mercenary with talent who can still rack up points.  Not a leader but serviceable.

San Jose!

Bring back Thornton 1 year, add Kovie 2 years & John Carlsson 4 years = $20 mill!  :frantic: 

44 minutes ago, rekker said:

Yip. Would be considered a dumb move by any team to sign him except for the Leafs. If they sign him then TSN will call it a smart move. 

"Leafs win Free Agency"....the signing would pronounce.   That is most certain.

On 2018-03-17 at 7:30 PM, canuck73_3 said:

Because he’s a passed his prime me first player that adds nothing to any team. 10 years ago sure now, absolutely not. 

Curious, have you actually seen him play in the past few years or done any research on this, or are you posting for the sake of hating?

On 3/17/2018 at 1:01 PM, Odd. said:

Jersey fans wont want him back. They'd probably riot if he came back as a jersey.

I personally thought it was a sleazy way for New Jersey to get out of the contract (not to mention having their punishment reduced as a result of the cap circumventing deal). 

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Curious, have you actually seen him play in the past few years or done any research on this, or are you posting for the sake of hating?

I’m going by how he played in Jersey then adding a few years of aging and considering the NHL is a much better league. With the league going younger and faster I don’t see him being a priority for anyone. 

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I’m going by how he played in Jersey then adding a few years of aging and considering the NHL is a much better league. With the league going younger and faster I don’t see him being a priority for anyone. 

So basically it's a guess on your part....

You do realise his point production hasn't slowed since he joined the KHL, nor had it slowed down when you compare his time in Jersey with his time in Atlanta, right?

The only reason why a team wouldn't want him might be because of past contract issues, but it's certainly not going to be because of his "deteriorating skills".

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

So basically it's a guess on your part....

You do realise his point production hasn't slowed since he joined the KHL, nor had it slowed down when you compare his time in Jersey with his time in Atlanta, right?

Neat. He still is a floater one way player.

Just now, The Lock said:

Like Radulov?..

Don’t get me wrong they’re both offensively skilled but not players I would be interested in. Unless I really needed a PP threat. Both average defensively I think Radulov is the better all around player and between the 2 I'd prefer Radulov. 

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Don’t get me wrong they’re both offensively skilled but not players I would be interested in. Unless I really needed a PP threat. Both average defensively I think Radulov is the better all around player and between the 2 I'd prefer Radulov. 

Well, yeah, I would prefer Radulov too, but I was more trying to make a point. :)

And don't get me wrong, I'm not a Kovalchuk fan either but that doesn't mean he wouldn't get a contract in this league. I remember when some people seemed to have the same pessimism when Jagr came back and he turned into one of those old cars that wouldn't quit no matter how hard you tried to break it. lol

If I'm Winnipeg or Nashville i would go after him hard.

Winnipeg already has great talent up front: Laine, Wheeler, Scheifele, Ehlers, Connor. Add Kovalchuk and this team is going to be so hard to defend against in the playoffs. The only way for Winnipeg to get through Nashville's defence is to add another game breaker.

Nashville needs to stop Winnipeg from adding Kovy but also, to beat Pittsburgh/Tampa, they need a game breaker of their own up front.

Archived