The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

When will we see Some physicality on the team again

mikeyman109

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:

When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

Torres was an on the edge player but he had player looking around when he was on the ice.

Maybe we don't need him to injure other players but the physical side of the game needs an uptick here in Vancouver,

Del Zotto is tied for 13th in hits at 3/ game.  Gudbranson has 2.4/ game.  Eddie has 2.3.  Virtanen has a respectable 1.8 (almost 2 per), and Archie has 3/ game to lead the team's forwards.  Thing is, unless Horvat channels his inner Mike Richards and Brock Boeser becomes Corey Perry the leaders won't necessarily be the most voluminous hitters up front.  Gadjovich making it would probably be huge but even then, most of the forwards won't be too intent in being human wrecking balls (Twins, Pettersson, Baertschi, Sutter, Granlund, Eriksson... none of them are overly disruptive).  Even so, with the likes of Leipsic and Motte at least they have the speed and agitation factor to at least threaten to make hits in disrupting plays so that should make the team tougher to play against at the least.

It’s not the early 2000s anymore... Torres was pushed out of the league due to numerous suspensions. 

We need Tryamkin back.

1 hour ago, mikeyman109 said:

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:

When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

Torres was an on the edge player but he had player looking around when he was on the ice.

Maybe we don't need him to injure other players but the physical side of the game needs an uptick here in Vancouver,

Bertuzzi was a special player. To be honest, if we had an owner like Francesco during WCE era, we have a cup. We were a goalie away from going deep. With how skilled and physical that team was, I think we would have gotten a cup if we make it past the Flames in 04.

Thanks for posting one of my favourite hits of all time. 
Virtanen has been ramping up his physicality lately. I think he'll be a wrecking ball in 2 years. 

Gadjovich is on the way. Kane could be signed by us. 
If we draft Tkachuk we could have 3 or 4 guys who are power forwards with speed, which are rare. 

Canucks are 18th in the league in total hits, Vegas is 23rd. Nashville is 21st. Tampa is 20th. I enjoy physicality as much as the next guy, but I think we should prioritize getting fellers that can play the sport better than other team's players.

Edit: Oilers and Montreal are 1 and 2 in the league in hits just for reference. 

I think having Boeser and Pettersson to take control of most of the scoring will leave Horvat as the 2C to be more of a Kesler-like, physical two-way center rather than the scoring role he's expected to fill right now. Want more physicality from our top guys, in particular Horvat and Virtanen as we move forward.

Archived