The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

When will we see Some physicality on the team again

mikeyman109

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

2 players does not give us the "wolfpack" mentality which is what is needed, especially in the playoffs.

I agree we had an edge in 2011, we need to figure out how to have that edge again. although some will tell you its not necessary in 2019

7 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

You do realize that the Canucks have been outhitting their opposition in almost every game in 2018.   Green has been slowly getting that into the team and even last night against a heavy Sharks team, they out hit them and that was without Guddy in the lineup.

If by physical you mean fighting - that is slowly not happening in the league at all.

Not sure what you mean then?    2011 was a long time ago.

Would be interested in seeing the hit stats by player if you have them.

3 hours ago, EdgarM said:

It is a total different story in the playoffs. Have we forgotten 2011 already?

2011 team had almost 200 more hits that Boston did. People sleep on how tough that 2011 team was. We were injury riddled, even before the finals.  

Still doesn’t change the fact we need players that can legit play, scoring, defending, stopping pucks. Adding more physical players isn’t gonna get us to the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

2011 team had almost 200 more hits that Boston did. People sleep on how tough that 2011 team was. We were injury riddled, even before the finals.  

Still doesn’t change the fact we need players that can legit play, scoring, defending, stopping pucks. Adding more physical players isn’t gonna get us to the playoffs. 

Why not have players that possess both? After our heavy hitters were nullified by the refs, the rest that were left put up next to nothing in fighting back. So much so that it was down right embarrassing. Not that a Sedin could put up a fight even if they wanted to but we just went through the motions at the end of that series. 

I believe a team needs a balance of speed ,toughness and skill, depending on the opponent you play. If you think you are just going to get away with playing teams such as LA, Anaheim and Winnipeg with just small skilled players you are sadly mistaken. If you cannot match their play then you will be easily beatable if they know what weaknesses they can work on, especially in a 7 game series.

This season started going downhill when we lost Dorsett. He provided a lot of energy, toughness and phsyicality that no one else really had. Huge loss for this team that many don't notice.

9 hours ago, Chandymen said:

This season started going downhill when we lost Dorsett. He provided a lot of energy, toughness and phsyicality that no one else really had. Huge loss for this team that many don't notice.

Yes a perfect example of having that balance. The good teams will take advantage of your weaknesses in a hurry.

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎17 at 7:20 PM, Positive Canuck said:

I've been waiting since Sedin got speed bagged 7 years ago for this team to man up

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎17 at 11:05 PM, canucksnihilist said:

That is on Sedin.  You have to stick up for yourself.

since the marchand rabbit punch incident ,over the next following years we lost bieksa,kesler ,Hansen ...guys that comparatively  weren't easily pushed around ,the team as a whole started to get disrespected namely the sedins ;ie brent burns hit , the thorton face off face wash,  Duncan keith , nazem kadri, and on and on,  prior to signing dorsett canucks mng failed miserably at getting a deterrent ,dorsett on his own wasn't cutting it, sestito  was a step in the right direction, right idea wrong player, since 2012 up to current this team has been way to soft , the quote above is right in the sense that you had to stick up for your self ,only because there really wasn't any one to stick up for them, lets hope the new guard is a little tougher than the last 6 years of marshmellow hockey!  gudbransons popularity seems split right down the middle ,say what you want but since he came the team has slowly gotten a little more  respect, or a whole lot less disrespect. archie is exactly what was needed 6 years ago!

On 2018-03-17 at 7:47 PM, BlackBeard said:

Id rather see some scoring, weve been having that mentality since then, look where we're at now. Im not saying that physicality is not important, but scoring should be the main priority for now. And look we just got shutdown 3 straight games.

Because we have to many pussycats in our lineup and not enough dogs :P

I don't see it as being that much of an issue anymore. The team does have a decent physical element to their play now. Players like Gudbranson, Archibald, and Virtanen are more than capable of laying a hit that will change the momentum of play. I am looking forward to seeing Gadjovich on the team, and seeing who Benning signs in the offseason.

This team has just as much of a need for skill though, and having Petterson and Gaudette on the team next year will be essential for taking the next step. And Dahlin...

30 minutes ago, mephnick said:

Yeah those famously tough Pittsburgh and Chicago teams that won all those Cups by hitting people...

You guys sound like Don Cherry. Dinosaurs that refuse to accept how the game has changed.

in the last 10 years boston stands out as being a tough team , looking at the losing side , not a whole lot of tough teams which explains how pittsburg and Chicago won on skill , something the canucks could have pulled off if they were deeper and a little tougher. a confident goalie would have been nice......

2007 Anaheim Ducks (WC) (2, 1–1) Randy Carlyle Ottawa Senators (EC) (1, 0–1) Bryan Murray 4–1 Travis Moen (15:44, second) Scott Niedermayer
2008 Detroit Red Wings (WC) (23, 11–12) Mike Babcock Pittsburgh Penguins (EC) (3, 2–1) Michel Therrien 4–2 Henrik Zetterberg (7:36, third) Henrik Zetterberg
2009 Pittsburgh Penguins (EC) (4, 3–1) Dan Bylsma Detroit Red Wings (WC) (24, 11–13) Mike Babcock 4–3 Maxime Talbot (10:07, second) Evgeni Malkin
2010 Chicago Blackhawks (WC) (11, 4–7) Joel Quenneville Philadelphia Flyers (EC) (8, 2–6) Peter Laviolette 4–2 Patrick Kane (4:06, OT) Jonathan Toews
2011 Boston Bruins (EC) (18, 6–12) Claude Julien Vancouver Canucks (WC) (3, 0–3) Alain Vigneault 4–3 Patrice Bergeron (14:37, first) Tim Thomas
2012 Los Angeles Kings (WC) (2, 1–1) Darryl Sutter New Jersey Devils (EC) (5, 3–2) Peter DeBoer 4–2 Jeff Carter (12:45, first) Jonathan Quick
2013 Chicago Blackhawks (WC) (12, 5–7) Joel Quenneville Boston Bruins (EC) (19, 6–13) Claude Julien 4–2 Dave Bolland (19:01, third) Patrick Kane
2014 Los Angeles Kings (WC) (3, 2–1) Darryl Sutter New York Rangers (EC) (11, 4–7) Alain Vigneault 4–1 Alec Martinez (14:43, second OT) Justin Williams
2015 Chicago Blackhawks (WC) (13, 6–7) Joel Quenneville Tampa Bay Lightning (EC) (2, 1–1) Jon Cooper 4–2 Duncan Keith (17:13, second) Duncan Keith
2016 Pittsburgh Penguins (EC) (5, 4–1) Mike Sullivan San Jose Sharks (WC) (1, 0–1) Peter DeBoer 4–2 Kris Letang (7:46, second) Sidney Crosby
2017 Pittsburgh Penguins (EC) (6, 5–1) Mike Sullivan Nashville Predators (WC) (1, 0–1) Peter Laviolette 4–2 Patric Hornqvist (18:25, third) Sidney Crosby

Appearances[edit]

24 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don't see it as being that much of an issue anymore. The team does have a decent physical element to their play now. Players like Gudbranson, Archibald, and Virtanen are more than capable of laying a hit that will change the momentum of play. I am looking forward to seeing Gadjovich on the team, and seeing who Benning signs in the offseason.

This team has just as much of a need for skill though, and having Petterson and Gaudette on the team next year will be essential for taking the next step. And Dahlin...

Absolutely... And bot Gaudette and Leipsic seems feisty... 

Some top end skills to follow Pettersson and Brock, and we will be getting close.

1 hour ago, mephnick said:

Yeah those famously tough Pittsburgh and Chicago teams that won all those Cups by hitting people...

You guys sound like Don Cherry. Dinosaurs that refuse to accept how the game has changed.

Yeah because there is the "perfect recipe for success" and you know exactly what that is. Yeah OK. ::D And....... that skill did  a number on Boston in 2011 didn't it.B)

4 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Just don’t draft or sign players devoid of any semblance of pushback.

I can’t wait for the Naslund/Sedin Gentleman Hockey era to end.  

I am with you on that one. If I see that little puke Kane skate around in circles in the o-zone because we have no one that will hit him to slow him down, I am going to lose it! :lol:

Yeah if we get anything like an Yzerman, Linden, Bertuzzi, Scott Stevens, Messier, Lindros, Benn type players I would be thrilled.

14 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Just don’t draft or sign players devoid of any semblance of pushback.

I can’t wait for the Naslund/Sedin Gentleman Hockey era to end.  

its been around since gradin, sundstrome and until petterson retires...............  ,i'm sure theres more from the never ending supply from the puff pastrie division.........

I think we are a tom wilson or kassian away from having the right balance. we might have burrows 2.0 in lepsic. we have a cleaner raffi torres in virtanen and guddy can smack em around.  Would be over the moon if we aquired a tom wilson and tram came back. 

Archived