The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

When will we see Some physicality on the team again

mikeyman109

7 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I have noticed his play really started to improve when he WASN'T getting benched automatically for making less than perfect plays.   I have also noticed he has taken some more "aggressive" penalties lately but Green is still not cutting back on his ice time and even getting him onto the PP and that is probably helping Virtanen's confidence.

or maybe he stopped getting benched automatically when his play started to improve?

7 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

Bolland Carcillo Brookbank on the 2012 2013 roster

Bickell Carcillo ,2014-2015

Shaw and Saad  were no angels either

again I can spin it any way I am just saying we could use some physical forwards up front. Jake looks good as a hitter. Archie helps also. Maybe one more, dont neccessarily need a fighter but some size up front helps make the D nervous

Is there anyone in free agency that would interest you?  

Rick Nash.... Paul Stastny .... James Neal.... Matt Calvert ... van Riemsdyk... Mark Stone... Leo Komarov ... Patrick Maroon ... Chris Steward ...  Jared Boll ...  Ryan Reaves  

Those are some of the names that will be unrestricted free agents this summer.

17 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

Bolland Carcillo Brookbank on the 2012 2013 roster

Bickell Carcillo ,2014-2015

Shaw and Saad  were no angels either

again I can spin it any way I am just saying we could use some physical forwards up front. Jake looks good as a hitter. Archie helps also. Maybe one more, dont neccessarily need a fighter but some size up front helps make the D nervous

Those teams didn't take any c#@p either. If the opposition knows you won't put up with the cheap shots their not even going to try. I think you need the couple of tougher players and then the rest of the team have to stick together and not put up with any rough stuff. The wolf pack mentality, not get bopped in the head and then look for your line mates or the ref to react. This is hockey, after all. :gocan:

17 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Rick Nash.... Paul Stastny .... James Neal.... Matt Calvert ... van Riemsdyk... Mark Stone... Leo Komarov ... Patrick Maroon ... Chris Steward ...  Jared Boll ...  Ryan Reaves  

Wow, some solid names here..

Nash isn't interested in playing in Van I've heard. Stastny, Neal, JVR will be too expensive.

Not sure what kind of money Stone is after but he would be a welcome addition.The rest of those guys would all be solid adds IMO if <2 million.

18 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Who is worth something at the TDL?

Sign one or two and trade some room for them before the draft. 

We need to balance out the team of small so-so players(i.e.Gagner,Baertchi,Granlund,Goldobin,Boucher,Leipsic etc.) and adding some bigger intimidating guys especially if we are bringing in smaller rookies, Right now we have no answer to these big teams that just muscle us off the puck. We need Size and Speed and Hearts of Lions. :gocan:

21 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I think None of the ones I’d want would come here right now I think it’s too early to try to sign free agents. We are not winning the cup next year and we need to build the core first. Rebuilds are hard and they suck but we have to be patient. Draft another great player this year and see what we have at camp. M H O

On 2018-03-19 at 10:28 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

During a rebuild, I would pay to watch the Canucks physically punish the other teams. I would find those type of players who can also take a regular shift in the playoffs. I would overpay to sign them on 2 year deals for obvious reasons and flip them at the TDL or whatever. 

I would also target character guys who would round out a new culture/team persona.

Protect the assets. 

Create an identity. 

15 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

I think None of the ones I’d want would come here right now I think it’s too early to try to sign free agents. We are not winning the cup next year and we need to build the core first. Rebuilds are hard and they suck but we have to be patient. Draft another great player this year and see what we have at camp. M H O

Hmmm...  see I'm of the mindset that we need to take the first step next year, and that means fighting for a playoff spot.  Theoretically it's better to finish dead last as we've been doing or close to each of the last couple of years.  However no team goes from dead last to a contender over one season, and we need to get into the top 20 teams in the NHL before we start thinking about becoming contenders.  You can see it in Bo Horvat's physical demeanor that he's sick and tired of all the losing.  If we finish at the bottom next year again, I wouldn't be surprised to see some guys ask for a trade out of Vancouver.  

11 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Hmmm...  see I'm of the mindset that we need to take the first step next year, and that means fighting for a playoff spot.  Theoretically it's better to finish dead last as we've been doing or close to each of the last couple of years.  However no team goes from dead last to a contender over one season, and we need to get into the top 20 teams in the NHL before we start thinking about becoming contenders.  You can see it in Bo Horvat's physical demeanor that he's sick and tired of all the losing.  If we finish at the bottom next year again, I wouldn't be surprised to see some guys ask for a trade out of Vancouver.  

A few of us believe that Horvat will be wasted here before a new core can compete for the Cup. 

Tanking for the next year or two is, statistically, the fastest way to build a new core. 

Sucking and losing is a killer. I also wonder if Horvat will eventually want out or be traded for a package which might finish off the rebuild. Horvat would be worth a big haul at this point. He is also irreplaceable to this roster, but what difference will it make to a team competing for the lotto pick?

Horvat is Rod Brind’Amour 2.0.

20 hours ago, 'NucK™ said:

Wow, some solid names here..

Nash isn't interested in playing in Van I've heard. Stastny, Neal, JVR will be too expensive.

Not sure what kind of money Stone is after but he would be a welcome addition.The rest of those guys would all be solid adds IMO if <2 million.

Stone is a RFA not a UFA.

36 minutes ago, mll said:

Stone is a RFA not a UFA.

Oh no, I was going off capgeek list, maybe I bunched UFAs together with RFAs? 

:o

20 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

During a rebuild, I would pay to watch the Canucks physically punish the other teams. I would find those type of players who can also take a regular shift in the playoffs. I would overpay to sign them on 2 year deals for obvious reasons and flip them at the TDL or whatever. 

I would also target character guys who would round out a new culture/team persona.

Protect the assets. 

Create an identity. 

I wish you were the GM. ::D I think a lot of the teams who are drafting talent and are waiting for them to develop are omitting this step. Get those big, physical, character guys(similar to Dorsett but bigger)who are going to shape the team. Old worn out non-physical vets are NOT going to accomplish this.

These are the guys to mentor the young guys and are essential to building a winner in the future. Coincidentally, these are the type of players that "step up" in the playoffs too. 

12 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I wish you were the GM. ::D I think a lot of the teams who are drafting talent and are waiting for them to develop are omitting this step. Get those big, physical, character guys(similar to Dorsett but bigger)who are going to shape the team. Old worn out non-physical vets are NOT going to accomplish this.

These are the guys to mentor the young guys and are essential to building a winner in the future. Coincidentally, these are the type of players that "step up" in the playoffs too. 

I was very surprised that JB didn’t fully go down this path, especially during the initial stages of a rebuild.

He started down it, drafting Jake and trading for Guddy, but then he kind of went full-Granny. 

His prospects though, we should be proud and excited for the amount of character and capacity for pushback there is, if compared to his NHL roster choices. 

21 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I was very surprised that JB didn’t fully go down this path, especially during the initial stages of a rebuild.

He started down it, drafting Jake and trading for Guddy, but then he kind of went full-Granny. 

His prospects though, we should be proud and excited for the amount of character and capacity for pushback there is, if compared to his NHL roster choices. 

I agree we have prospects with character its the vets who I question. Burrows, Hansen, Bieksa, Kessler are some players we discarded and were left with what we have now. That imbalance has to change or I am afraid we are going to end up like the Edmonton's and Buffalo's of this world.

5 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I agree we have prospects with character its the vets who I question. Burrows, Hansen, Bieksa, Kessler are some players we discarded and were left with what we have now. That imbalance has to change or I am afraid we are going to end up like the Edmonton's and Buffalo's of this world.

*shivers. 

6D729331-94F1-48B2-916C-8D839E28858A.gif.21676c32a47125699b80dbd23360d936.gif

On 3/22/2018 at 10:01 AM, EdgarM said:

Sutter, Gudbranson, Tanev, Edler, Eriksson, MDZ, etc. don't have character?  Or you mean, they aren't characters?

Archived