mikeyman109

When will we see Some physicality on the team again

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, baumerman77 said:

Oh well I stand corrected. I never thought about that...

I know what you were getting at. 

Not many folks here admit they made a gaffe or had a change of heart. Cheers. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Juo could still be strong. Not sure if u mean physical as in hitting but he could still become a hard to play against type player even if he doesn't hurt ppl with punishing hits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/26/2018 at 4:12 AM, alfstonker said:

Oh was that when the Bruins won the Cup in Vancouver. Oh wait was there not also a team from LA who used size to their advantage not that long ago. Jeez, how time flies.

Watched the Bruins beat TB the other night. Same ol' same ol' -- nasty brutish and short.

TB better find an answer for the heavy game Boston plays if they meet them in the playoffs.

Boston looked intimidating as ever and still on the favorable side of the refs calls it seemed.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

   It seems like the NHL can't shake the habit of letting the rules slide in favor of the heavy teams every year as the playoffs approach. Constructing a roster that can play both a speed game early to mid season, then ramp up the heavy game for the playoffs is near impossible. Bettman seems to favor the Tampa model so maybe that is gradually changing.

   I'll believe it when I see it though...

 

monkey_trouble.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2018 at 9:03 PM, rekker said:

Regular season sure. Payoffs no. You need to be able to fend off a team for a best of seven. Four times to win the cup. That takes skill, physicality, tenacity, and durability. 

This is my point exactly. I don't think we need to get back to the 70s but there is a need for some physical element to our game up front.  We don't want players ruining around looking for the hit. We need to pressure the defense into coughing up some pucks so we can take advantage of their miscues. And surviving the playoffs is a big reason for needing the bigger players as well. Better to put the hit on the other team than to have our players hit.I don't want 12 apes , just 3 that can skate not necessarily fight. Stand up for your selves and team mates. Nothing against the skill players but this element is lacking.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2018 at 11:35 AM, Rob_Zepp said:

Ya, ok.   You want to see people on other teams getting injured on hits from Rock'm Sock'm.     Outhitting the other team isn't good enough, they have to make sure they hurt people too.

 

Cool.   Welcome to 1975, I hope you enjoy your year.

I disagree Rob

The physicality comment is about pressure, making teams D have a look around , possibly make a mistake, maybe rush a pass. Its also about surviving the playoffs. Size and skill mixed. The bruins look pretty good this year and i am sure they are built for the playoffs also.. Hitting is still a part of the game. Not 1975 hitting but making the other team uncomfortable when they play you. We need to be stronger on the puck at both ends of the ice. No Dave Shultz characters but Bertuzzi pressure. Where the player can hit and produce as well. I am sure every team wants a physical forward that can score. We just haven't looked that way for a long time. I would also like to see more of a physical presence from our back end. MDZ hits but he doesnt really hit. I love it when Biega steps into someone . You see the guy go flying. Edler when he hits also has this capacity but he doesn't do it often anymore. I just want to see this part of the game improve as we move on from the Sedin era where we try to punish teams with our power play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mikeyman109 said:

I disagree Rob

The physicality comment is about pressure, making teams D have a look around , possibly make a mistake, maybe rush a pass. Its also about surviving the playoffs. Size and skill mixed. The bruins look pretty good this year and i am sure they are built for the playoffs also.. Hitting is still a part of the game. Not 1975 hitting but making the other team uncomfortable when they play you. We need to be stronger on the puck at both ends of the ice. No Dave Shultz characters but Bertuzzi pressure. Where the player can hit and produce as well. I am sure every team wants a physical forward that can score. We just haven't looked that way for a long time. I would also like to see more of a physical presence from our back end. MDZ hits but he doesnt really hit. I love it when Biega steps into someone . You see the guy go flying. Edler when he hits also has this capacity but he doesn't do it often anymore. I just want to see this part of the game improve as we move on from the Sedin era where we try to punish teams with our power play.

You just described 100% why this team drafted and are developing Virtanen.

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

You just described 100% why this team drafted and are developing Virtanen.

I agree but we need a couple more that can play that way. I have Jake pegged into that role also.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mikeyman109 said:

I agree but we need a couple more that can play that way. I have Jake pegged into that role also.

I think if Gaudette can make the transition to NHL he is that way.  It is a key reason for Edler on the team.   They need some replacement for Dorsett - I don’t think Motte is that guy but who knows.   Archibald, sorry Archie, isn’t on an NHL playoff team in most all likelihood so that needs replacing.   OJ isn’t punishing but no one pushed him around as his playoff run has shown.   MDZ is more physical than people give credit for.   Gaunce has the potential but needs to use it more.  Gadjo may help if he can play NHL pace - Lind too.  

 

It isnt deep for sure - that is why Virtanen is so vitally important.   He can play tough but isn’t hurting you with penalties or POS moves on regular basis.   

 

Interesting to see what the summer brings.  :)

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I think if Gaudette can make the transition to NHL he is that way.  It is a key reason for Edler on the team.   They need some replacement for Dorsett - I don’t think Motte is that guy but who knows.   Archibald, sorry Archie, isn’t on an NHL playoff team in most all likelihood so that needs replacing.   OJ isn’t punishing but no one pushed him around as his playoff run has shown.   MDZ is more physical than people give credit for.   Gaunce has the potential but needs to use it more.  Gadjo may help if he can play NHL pace - Lind too.  

 

It isnt deep for sure - that is why Virtanen is so vitally important.   He can play tough but isn’t hurting you with penalties or POS moves on regular basis.   

 

Interesting to see what the summer brings.  :)

I think we need a more hard nosed forward but i caution that we need to draft D before we worry about that. We can sign an forward with some grit as the likely hood of a player being a bust when they are expected to be energy players is less likely.

I dont mind Archie in a fourth line role. he isnt going to get you 30 goals but he doesnt seem to hurt us defensively. It all depends on who else we have in the pool.

Jake has a very important role to play on this team going forward. i have cautioned we dont want to Neely this guy.

I agree this year at the draft and camp are going to be important to the development of this team for sure. Draft picks aside I want to see what we have on D.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.