The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What if the unthinkable actually occurs ...

8 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm still appalled that Vegas gets a sweetheart deal from expansion, I'm even more shocked that the NHL says that if Seattle gets a team they will get the same expansion style draft.

If I'm any team in the NHL from Vancouver and Buffalo until the last expansion I'd be choked. Look at the Capitals setting for records for the most loses (8-67-5) 21 points. 

This BS of "well they paid more", that is crap. Houston Texans paid $700 million in 1999 and they didn't get any preferential treatment on an expansion draft in the NFL. 

This is just more evidence what a joke the league head office is. 

I think it's weird that new teams are supposed to suck inherently. Why can't expansion teams be good? Because past teams were bad? Maybe the system isn't broken now, but was broken in past expansion drafts. Not to mention the talent level of today's players are far higher than anytime in history. Today's "cast off" players are no slouches. It's disheartening to see a brand new team outperform ours, but it's nice to see them doing well cause they were supposed to suck. Everyone likes the underdogs. The team of cast offs playing their way into the playoffs. Interesting storyline at least.

I expect things to fall off a bit for Vegas, as they don't have a ton of prospects in the cupboard aside from Glass. They'll be strong for a few years, but I expect them to be a middle of the pack playoff team next year.

They literally got the 9th best player on every team idk how that's the league gifting them a good team. How can you say that when almost every player on that team is having career years?????

Stop pretending you knew William Karlsson was a 40 goal scorer 

7 hours ago, MikeyBoy44 said:

Times are different and not comparable at all to earlier expansions. Teams' worst players were a lot worse than today's teams' worst players.

Times definitely were different.  Couldn't find expansion rules for 1970, but...

1972: 2 new teams.  each team gets 21 players.  Each existing team protects 2 goalies and 15 skaters, with rookies not needing protection.

1974: 2 new teams,  each team gets 24 players.  Each existing team protects 2 goalies and 15 skaters, with rookies not needing protection (I presume re: rookies).

1979: weird one with WHA teams coming in.  Still, each existing team still protected 2 goalies and 15 skaters.  Unsure if rookie protection required.

Starting in '91, there was minimum experience levels required in exposed players.  I didn't see anything like that in previous expansion drafts.

1991: another oddball, with Min splitting into SJ.  When it came to the expansion draft, existing teams protected 2 goalies and 16 skaters.

1992: 2 new teams.each team gets 21 players.  Existing teams protect 2 goalies and 14 skaters.

1993: 2 new teams, each team gets 24 players.  Existing teams protect 1 goalie, 5 D, 9 forwards.  All Rookies and some sophomores were exempt.

1998: 1 new team, getting 26 players.  Existing teams protect either 1 goalie, 5 D, 9 forwards, or 2 G, 3 D, 7 forwards.  All Rookies and all sophomores were exempt.

1999: 1 new team, getting 26 players.  Existing teams protect either 1 goalie, 5 D, 9 forwards, or 2 G, 3 D, 7 forwards.  All Rookies and all sophomores were exempt.

2000: 2 new teams, each getting 26 players.  Existing teams protect either 1 goalie, 5 D, 9 forwards, or 2 G, 3 D, 7 forwards.  All Rookies and all sophomores were exempt.

Vegas had the highest level of talent available due to the smallest protection lists, plus the most number of players to pick up.  Most of the earlier expansions allowed protecting 2 goalies and about 3 full lines worth of players.  Vegas had a whole extra line of players to choose from, plus better goalie talent since only one goalie could be protected.

Also, since this was the first expansion in the salary cap era, it is arguable that some better players were exposed because of their contracts rather than their lack of quality.  Vegas' cupboard got stocked much better than in any previous expansion, with some 2nd and 3rd liners, rather than being chock full of 4th liners in previous drafts.  They have obviously done well with what they got, even overachieving, but the bar was set pretty low for them, and the same will happen for Seattle.

I see Vegas has team of depth players. Depth gets you deep in the playoffs but does it get you past California? This team won't make it past those teams, even with them aging. 

Let us not forget how fleury is in the playoffs, let alone without Sid or Geno. 

On 2018-03-21 at 12:54 AM, P0RKCH0P said:

I see Vegas has team of depth players. Depth gets you deep in the playoffs but does it get you past California? This team won't make it past those teams, even with them aging. 

Let us not forget how fleury is in the playoffs, let alone without Sid or Geno. 

Depth players don’t score 40 goals. 

I don't think Vegas is stacked, they have just found a way to utilise the players they got. No point in saying they are stacked now when almost nobody seeing the players they got thought they would run riot.

Go look at the draft positions of their players other than Fluery there is not one player drafted in the top 10. And yet....................

2 William Karlsson 53
3 David Perron 26
4 Reilly Smith 69
5 Erik Haula 182
6 James Neal 33
7 Colin Miller 151
8 Nate Schmidt Un
9 Alex Tuch 18
10 Cody Eakin 85
11 Shea Theodore 26
12 Deryk Engelland 194
13 Brad Hunt Un
14 Tomas Nosek Un
15 Pierre-Edouard Bellemare Un
16 Brayden McNabb  66
17 Luca Sbisa 19
18 Ryan Carpenter Un
19 Ryan Reaves 156
20 Oscar Lindberg 57
21 Tomas Tatar 60
22 William Carrier 57
23 Tomas Hyka 
24 Jonathon Merrill 38
25 Philip Holm Un
26 Vadim Shipachyov Un
27 Marc-Andre Fleury 1st
28 Jason Garrison Un
29 Stefan Matteau 29
30 Oscar Dansk 31
31 Dylan Ferguson 194
32 Maxime Lagace Un
33 Malcolm Subban 24

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2018 at 10:04 AM, alfstonker said:

I don't think Vegas is stacked, they have just found a way to utilise the players they got. No point in saying they are stacked now when almost nobody seeing the players they got thought they would run riot.

Go look at the draft positions of their players other than Fluery there is not one player drafted in the top 10. And yet....................

2 William Karlsson 53
3 David Perron 26
4 Reilly Smith 69
5 Erik Haula 182
6 James Neal 33
7 Colin Miller 151
8 Nate Schmidt Un
9 Alex Tuch 18
10 Cody Eakin 85
11 Shea Theodore 26
12 Deryk Engelland 194
13 Brad Hunt Un
14 Tomas Nosek Un
15 Pierre-Edouard Bellemare Un
16 Brayden McNabb  66
17 Luca Sbisa 19
18 Ryan Carpenter Un
19 Ryan Reaves 156
20 Oscar Lindberg 57
21 Tomas Tatar 60
22 William Carrier 57
23 Tomas Hyka 
24 Jonathon Merrill 38
25 Philip Holm Un
26 Vadim Shipachyov Un
27 Marc-Andre Fleury 1st
28 Jason Garrison Un
29 Stefan Matteau 29
30 Oscar Dansk 31
31 Dylan Ferguson 194
32 Maxime Lagace Un
33 Malcolm Subban 24

Kinda refutes all the chatter about how only teams who have top 3 picks win Cups (or get close).   Good coaching and strong sense of "team" can do wonders.   

I think Vegas has had the right opponents in the playoffs as well which always helps.  Two slower and declining California teams and a nervous Jets squad that despite their record (in my opinion, go easy on me Jets bandwagoners) has been punching above their weight class.

If they ran into a team built like Tampa or Pittsburgh we could be having a much different conversation here.

On 3/18/2018 at 11:57 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm still appalled that Vegas gets a sweetheart deal from expansion, I'm even more shocked that the NHL says that if Seattle gets a team they will get the same expansion style draft.

If I'm any team in the NHL from Vancouver and Buffalo until the last expansion I'd be choked. Look at the Capitals setting for records for the most loses (8-67-5) 21 points. 

This BS of "well they paid more", that is crap. Houston Texans paid $700 million in 1999 and they didn't get any preferential treatment on an expansion draft in the NFL. 

This is just more evidence what a joke the league head office is. 

they paid top dollar and look at what they got. seattle will have the same thing it will be interesting to see how Vegas navigates this summer and what roster they have for next season

Archived