The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Realisic 2 top 5's?

Assuming that we draft 2nd OA, what do you think it would take us to grab 3rd or 4th OA as well?  If Buffalo and Edmonton are slotted in the 3rd and 4th spot, who do you see us trading away to get these spots?  Is it even worth the gamble?   3rd and 4th are likely expensive.

Tanev, Jake, 2nd for 4th OA?

Jake, Lind, Goldy, 2nd for 3rd OA?

To rebuilding teams, 3rd OA and 4th OA are worth a lot more than what we can offer for example, how much value does Tanev bring to another rebuilding team? Realistically, the only asset they would accept would start with Juolevi and up.

Jake is a project at this point. So is Goldy. Lind is currently projected as a middle 6 player.

45 minutes ago, khay said:

To rebuilding teams, 3rd OA and 4th OA are worth a lot more than what we can offer for example, how much value does Tanev bring to another rebuilding team? Realistically, the only asset they would accept would start with Juolevi and up.

Jake is a project at this point. So is Goldy. Lind is currently projected as a middle 6 player.

Year 13 into the rebuild hahaha. They aren’t so much a rebuilding team as they are a mismanaged team that has no idea what it’s identity is. They’re the only team that would move a high pick this year out of everyone. Obviously not number 1. But 2- whatever could be up for grabs from the oilers as long as someone. is willing to give them nhl ready d men now. Maybe take a bad contract (lucic) what would another young forward or a dman that’s 3-4 years away do for them either than waste good years of McDavid and draisatl. But who knows they’re a sinking  ship they might just pack up and leave Alberta with the flames

Just now, Bure1010 said:

Year 13 into the rebuild hahaha. They aren’t so much a rebuilding team as they are a mismanaged team that has no idea what it’s identity is. They’re the only team that would move a high pick this year out of everyone. Obviously not number 1. But 2- whatever could be up for grabs from the oilers as long as someone. is willing to give them nhl ready d men now. Maybe take a bad contract (lucic) what would another young forward or a dman that’s 3-4 years away do for them either than waste good years of McDavid and draisatl. But who knows they’re a sinking  ship they might just pack up and leave Alberta with the flames

I was talking mostly about Buffalo but lol at Edmonton. Yes, year 13 into their rebuild.

Lets not get greedy, but try net a pick in the 18-25 range. If we draft 2nd or 3rd for instance that is likely another forward so we can grab a mid to late 1st and grab a dark horse D-man. Can seemingly find elite D-men anywhere in the draft. That's where your scouts earn their money.

With that said when was the last time a team drafted twice in the top 5? Last I can recall it was the Sedins. Would be pretty interesting to see Canucks draft twice in the top 5, especially if this draft is as deep as advertised. Seriously doubt it though. Looking at the teams slated to draft top 5 right now I can't imagine any of them shipping out their top 5 pick not for what we are willing to part with.

As mentioned, it's just not going to happen with a rebuilding team.  It has to be a team that is going to go for it, or feels they are close but need to add some pieces. It is probably best to focus also on the teams where expectations are high and they just aren't meeting those expectations as the GMs are in the hot seat to perform and get their team winning.  Chiarelli in Edmonton is a prime example of this, Snow for the Islanders IF the plan is to keep Tavares, or Bergivin in Montreal if they plan to try to contend while they still have Price.  Since I know less about the Eastern teams, I could see Edmonton giving up a high pick in return for a package involving Tanev - as they badly need better D. 

I'm not sold we'll pick as high as 2nd, but acquiring a 3-5 pick would require giving up youth as, because others have said, teams with picks that high are generally rebuilding, so they'd be interested in our young guys, which I'm hesitant to get rid of.

I'd rather just keep our 5th and do our best with it.

4 hours ago, whytelight said:

Assuming that we draft 2nd OA, what do you think it would take us to grab 3rd or 4th OA as well?  If Buffalo and Edmonton are slotted in the 3rd and 4th spot, who do you see us trading away to get these spots?  Is it even worth the gamble?   3rd and 4th are likely expensive.

Why does everyone always want to dilute our depth?

One thing that has become apparent from Canucks in the last few years. JB's ability to find talent passed the first round is unmatched in the history of this team.

I see 2 big reasons why we are down where we are right now.

#1. Gillis was trading everything he could find, to try and buy us another shot at the cup with the established (aging) core.

#2. Gillis handed out NTC's and NMC's to the aging core like they were tic tac's. Finally, we're nearly out from under all those and able to make moves as we need.

Let's stay the course and let JB do his job of accumulating some good high end talent as well as a really good supporting cast and build deep with lots of talented kids.

What you're proposing is just to keep diluting us to where we have to continually sign 30 year olds to fill in roster spots that should be used for 19 - 22 year olds, as they prove that they are ready to step into the league.

Very unlikely anyone moves out of a top 5 spot. Unless you are willing to move Bo/Brock caliber players it won`t happen, and I doubt strongly that Tanev alone would get that done. JB needs to hit his picks for the team to find those gems. Also a little lotto luck won`t hurt.

"IF" it were possible to get another early 1st round pick, I think that it would most have to involve Tanev and or Tanev +

My thought is that after the Lottery selection and everyone knows where they are going to pick, that there could be an opportunity get another 1st round pick......................

I think Edmonton and the Islanders are the most likely teams that would consider a trade, but not for peanuts

Edmonton...............Tanev and Sutter at 50% (3 yrs @ $2,185) for their 7-OA and Lucic (5 yrs @ 6 million)

NYI..........................Tanev for their 2nd 2018 1st

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Why Edmonton does this. Edmonton needs to start being competitive and it is their defense that is letting them down, they have seen enough of Tanev to know he is their fix, Sutter gives them a defensive veteran presence, and can fill in on any of lines 2, 3, or 4. This deal helps Edmonton prepare for McDavid's contract, while adding much needed pieces. ( I think Edmonton is getting to the point of doing something like this..........Tanev's contract makes it easier)

Why Vancouver does this.............this moves them up a year in their rebuild, Tanev and Sutter are replaceable through free agency, Lucic still provides secondary scoring and muscle for our up and coming rookies..............this takes the place of signing Evander Kane. Note* Lucic could also be flipped with cap retention and would have many suitors.

Vancouver would then have options of taking 2 high end Dmen in a Dman rich draft, and or split the picks and add to the forwards as well as the defense.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

New York Islanders has an embarrassment to draft riches this year, and has to convince Tavares, they are serious about contending, all the while having to up Tavares's new contract to a 10 to 12 million mark, and resigning their 2 UFA defensemen.......Tanev's cheap contract and higher end defensive skills, shows Tavares, the Islanders are serious.

Vancouver does this, to pick up a 2nd defensemen in the first round.......Dobson, Smith and Woo are all sitting in and around the 12 to 18 spots, all would be great additions, and along with our own first round pick, would solidify our defensive prospects and allow us to concentrate on forwards in the 2019 forward rich draft.......

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So along with our very high second, which could be moved into the late first, with out too much difficulty, would allow us to really fortify our defensive future................my dream case scenario would be Benning picking Boqvist/Bouchard + Dobson/Smith/Woo + Miller...........could you imagine

Maybe a little "pie in the sky"..........but in the spirit of the post...........what the heck!

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

"IF" it were possible to get another early 1st round pick, I think that it would most have to involve Tanev and or Tanev +

My thought is that after the Lottery selection and everyone knows where they are going to pick, that there could be an opportunity get another 1st round pick......................

I think Edmonton and the Islanders are the most likely teams that would consider a trade, but not for peanuts

Edmonton...............Tanev and Sutter at 50% (3 yrs @ $2,185) for their 7-OA and Lucic (5 yrs @ 6 million)

NYI..........................Tanev for their 2nd 2018 1st

Why Edmonton does this. Edmonton needs to start being competitive and it is their defense that is letting them down, they have seen enough of Tanev to know he is their fix, Sutter gives them a defensive veteran presence, and can fill in on any of lines 2, 3, or 4. This deal helps Edmonton prepare for McDavid's contract, while adding much needed pieces. ( I think Edmonton is getting to the point of doing something like this..........Tanev's contract makes it easier)

Why Vancouver does this.............this moves them up a year in their rebuild, Tanev and Sutter are replaceable through free agency, Lucic still provides secondary scoring and muscle for our up and coming rookies..............this takes the place of signing Evander Kane. Note* Lucic could also be flipped with cap retention and would have many suitors.

Vancouver would then have options of taking 2 high end Dmen in a Dman rich draft, and or split the picks and add to the forwards as well as the defense.

New York Islanders has an embarrassment to draft riches this year, and has to convince Tavares, they are serious about contending, all the while having to up Tavares's new contract to a 10 to 12 million mark, and resigning their 2 UFA defensemen.......Tanev's cheap contract and higher end defensive skills, shows Tavares, the Islanders are serious.

Vancouver does this, to pick up a 2nd defensemen in the first round.......Dobson, Smith and Woo are all sitting in and around the 12 to 18 spots, all would be great additions, and along with our own first round pick, would solidify our defensive prospects and allow us to concentrate on forwards in the 2019 forward rich draft.......

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So along with our very high second, which could be moved into the late first, with out too much difficulty, would allow us to really fortify our defensive future................my dream case scenario would be Benning picking Boqvist/Bouchard + Dobson/Smith/Woo + Miller...........could you imagine

Maybe a little "pie in the sky"..........but in the spirit of the post...........what the heck!

IMO any trade with Edmonton that involves lucic is a really bad idea. 

6 hours ago, whytelight said:

Trading Virtanen could be about the worst move the Canucks could make and be something that haunts the organization for more than a decade.   If you get his /60 production up to just a shooting percentage that is "average" and his hits remain the same, he is a 20-25 goal scorer who punishes the opposition and can play with speed few possess.   You don't trade that away - you try desperately to draft that.

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:27 AM, VegasCanuck said:

Why does everyone always want to dilute our depth?

One thing that has become apparent from Canucks in the last few years. JB's ability to find talent passed the first round is unmatched in the history of this team.

I see 2 big reasons why we are down where we are right now.

#1. Gillis was trading everything he could find, to try and buy us another shot at the cup with the established (aging) core.

#2. Gillis handed out NTC's and NMC's to the aging core like they were tic tac's. Finally, we're nearly out from under all those and able to make moves as we need.

Let's stay the course and let JB do his job of accumulating some good high end talent as well as a really good supporting cast and build deep with lots of talented kids.

What you're proposing is just to keep diluting us to where we have to continually sign 30 year olds to fill in roster spots that should be used for 19 - 22 year olds, as they prove that they are ready to step into the league.

Wrong there, the one's he did hand out the players (25/26) signed for millions less and he was able to control the cap so they were staggered as they came to an end. Benning handed out MORE, MORE clause contracts in 3 years than Gillis did in 8 years. And the one's Benning handed out handcuffed the team much more because they were higher than market value and capped out the team.

You mention depth, what depth? Something that may be in the future? Maybe?

You have to trade quality to get quality, someone will win and someone will lose, the Canucks are the worst team over the last three years and the lineup hasn't changed all that much.

We will have to wait to see the lottery results but teams like Edmonton and Buffalo HAVE to show improvement now, not 2 or 3 years from now and so they may be inclined to trade their #1's for established players that they need.

The Canucks can afford to wait a few more years as they are just starting to rebuild, Edmonton's window is open now and Buffalo has to move off the basement.

The Canucks should be looking to trade vets THIS year, Tanev would get a #1, Edler would get a #1, Horvat and Boeser would get multiple #1's and more.

On 2018-03-19 at 9:13 AM, whytelight said:

Tanev should be enough, he's a proven defenseman who can help a team for at least eight years, more than the average NHLer.  (Unless he's so damaged he won't make it) Edmonton desperately needs someone like Tanev so that's a smart play, but they may be wary given what they got in return for Hall.  Buffalo not so sure.  They are a mess too. 

Its more likely a team looking to push themselves to become a contender would be interested in Tanev.  He's cheap, and when he plays an elite defensive defenseman.    TO comes up alot because it makes sense, Lindgren would be the prize ... plus maybe their third to fill our picks up.  I'd be fine with that.  Or if we could pry Sanheim out of PHI, or Hanifn or Slavin from CAR, or maybe Honka and Dallas first pick....there is a deal out there no doubt.  Theodore?  

Archived