The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Tyler Bozak

GMJB has stated he intends to use free agency to fill any roster holes next season. While I personally would rather see young guys given a chance to succeed, if free agency is his way to go then the first thing the Canucks will need is a centreman. First of all, this signing is assuming the Sedins don’t return. If Henrik is back, then you don’t need Bozak. 

Gagner has been moved back and forth between centre and wing and I think Green prefers home on the wing. When dowd is in the line up, he rarely breaks 10 mins. Sutter is a solid bottom 6 guy but you definitely can’t count on him to generate offense. Pettersson might be a replacement for hank, or he might spend his first year on the wing to get accustomed to the NHL (or even still, he may be back in SHL for another season). Gaudette will probably make the team next year but there is very little chance Green will gift him anything more than 4th line minutes unless he really blows the doors off at training camp. 

Basically, outside of Horvat, the Canucks have no certainty for a 2nd line centre next year. So let’s look at Free agents available instead. 

I believe JB had previously stated interest in Backlund, but he has re-signed with Calgary. After him, who’s the best FA centre available? Tavares is probably too expensive, and I’m having a hard time thinking of anyone else. Bozak (unfortunately) is the BPA. He’ll probably have a heavy price though. 4-5 mill cap hit for 3-5 years. Might be too much for the Canucks, but given the LE signing 2 years ago, I wouldn’t put it past JB to pull the trigger. 

Other options for centre depth depth could be trading for a guy like Sam Reinhart or RNH, but I doubt the Canucks have the assets to pull that off. 

To me, the obvious choice for JB is going after Bozak, if he intends to fill centre depth need via free agency. 

6 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

GMJB has stated he intends to use free agency to fill any roster holes next season. While I personally would rather see young guys given a chance to succeed, if free agency is his way to go then the first thing the Canucks will need is a centreman. First of all, this signing is assuming the Sedins don’t return. If Henrik is back, then you don’t need Bozak. 

Gagner has been moved back and forth between centre and wing and I think Green prefers home on the wing. When dowd is in the line up, he rarely breaks 10 mins. Sutter is a solid bottom 6 guy but you definitely can’t count on him to generate offense. Pettersson might be a replacement for hank, or he might spend his first year on the wing to get accustomed to the NHL (or even still, he may be back in SHL for another season). Gaudette will probably make the team next year but there is very little chance Green will gift him anything more than 4th line minutes unless he really blows the doors off at training camp. 

Basically, outside of Horvat, the Canucks have no certainty for a 2nd line centre next year. So let’s look at Free agents available instead. 

I believe JB had previously stated interest in Backlund, but he has re-signed with Calgary. After him, who’s the best FA centre available? Tavares is probably too expensive, and I’m having a hard time thinking of anyone else. Bozak (unfortunately) is the BPA. He’ll probably have a heavy price though. 4-5 mill cap hit for 3-5 years. Might be too much for the Canucks, but given the LE signing 2 years ago, I wouldn’t put it past JB to pull the trigger. 

Other options for centre depth depth could be trading for a guy like Sam Reinhart or RNH, but I doubt the Canucks have the assets to pull that off. 

To me, the obvious choice for JB is going after Bozak, if he intends to fill centre depth need via free agency. 

Cool. Think this is the wrong forum for this.

If we don't re-sign the Sedins, I'd be ok with Bozak for 1 year but that's about it.  Once Pettersson comes on and I will assume he's going to be a center, we don't need another.  We'll have Pettersson, Horvat, and Gaudette/Sutter down the middle and won't need him.  He's getting older now, and at BEST he's a 2nd line center - probably closer to a 3rd line center overall.

I like the combination of Gaudette, Granlund, Sutter, and Pettersson competing for the 2nd/3rd line center spots.  Add in Gagner and I don't see a real benefit in bringing in Bozak unless he's willing to take a 1 year deal.  I'd far prefer the money spent shoring up our defense to make things easier on Demko.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

I like the combination of Gaudette, Granlund, Sutter, and Pettersson competing for the 2nd/3rd line center spots.  Add in Gagner and I don't see a real benefit in bringing in Bozak unless he's willing to take a 1 year deal.  I'd far prefer the money spent shoring up our defense to make things easier on Demko.

Yeah this is what I would like too. I hope the Leafs sign Bozak so that JB isn’t tempted to go after him. I just think that, based on this management groups comments and history, they will go after Bozak if he becomes an FA. I’m just trying to figure out what that might look like lol.

Hmm, maybe? I believe the Sedins will re-sign if the Canucks need them (if the prospects aren't ready), so I'm not sure what Benning intends to do regarding more UFAs. They've still got Gagner for 2 more years. But is he a #2C? I don't think so, and more likely a winger. They could use some help here (#2C) and I'm not convinced yet that Pettersson will even make the team next year. And even if he does, will they gift him the #2C spot right away? I don't see them rushing Elias.

Cs

Horvat

?

Henrik/Granlund/Sutter

Gaudette/Gaunce/Dowd

1 minute ago, Canadian Clay said:

Yeah this is what I would like too. I hope the Leafs sign Bozak so that JB isn’t tempted to go after him. I just think that, based on this management groups comments and history, they will go after Bozak if he becomes an FA. I’m just trying to figure out what that might look like lol.

Given the amount of guys who are almost ready, I trust our management group to not do anything stupid.  Forward isn't where the holes are and Benning knows that as well as everyone.

29 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

he'll probably want at least 2.... which wouldn't be bad for transitioning off the Sedins and giving support to a guy like Gaudette who won't be able to step into 2C duties right off the hop. 

It wouldn't be the worst move if it was kept to 2 years, and if Jim could move a current roster veteran at the draft. 

I'd be happier with overpaying Filppula on a 1 year Vanek-type deal tho.

1 hour ago, Canadian Clay said:

Ah dang my bad. I’m on my phone and though I clicked on proposals. If a mod could locked or move this that would be great

It's funny, CC..I was pondering Bozak the other day for next yr...

FO monster, isn't he? Played some jr in Victoria, as well.

***Tanev to Fleas, at draft!*** & Granlund.

Return: Martin, Dermott, Kapanen & 2019 1st R pick

make a former Leafer-line: Leipsic - Bozak - Kapanen (cos' we NEED some youth & speed)

I am a fan of bozak as a 3rd line centre i.e Sutter type of player

but we need scoring from a centre behind Horvat

i think players who could hit the market around the draft are rnh, Johnson, coyle, and others could hit the trade market would make a good fit

17 minutes ago, billabong said:

I am a fan of bozak as a 3rd line centre i.e Sutter type of player

but we need scoring from a centre behind Horvat

i think players who could hit the market around the draft are rnh, Johnson, coyle, and others could hit the trade market would make a good fit

Great, what do you purpose trading given that none of those teams will want to take back salary? 

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

You'd like Benning to give away our picks/prospects for a bandaid solution?

Baertschi + could probably get a middle 6 centre from somewhere. could probably get 40-50 points over a full 82 season, and will be cheap to re-sign. Ateam looking to clear cap without losing to much scoring from their 2nd/3rd line may be interested. not sure what you'd have to add to make it happen. maybe something like

to VAN

RNH

to EDM

Baer 

Hutton

Gadjovich?

Idk how fair that is but given chirelli's recent deals for Hall and Eberle and how starved that team is for cap space i'd bet you could come up with something along these lines

19 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

Baertschi + could probably get a middle 6 centre from somewhere. could probably get 40-50 points over a full 82 season, and will be cheap to re-sign. Ateam looking to clear cap without losing to much scoring from their 2nd/3rd line may be interested. not sure what you'd have to add to make it happen. maybe something like

to VAN

RNH

to EDM

Baer 

Hutton

Gadjovich?

Idk how fair that is but given chirelli's recent deals for Hall and Eberle and how starved that team is for cap space i'd bet you could come up with something along these lines

I think the Oilers would want Tanev.  That’s more like the Eberle for Larsen deal too.  Would we do that trade?  I think JB would.

Archived