The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

School Shooting In Great Mills Maryland

SabreFan1

Looks like the school cop in Maryland did his job this morning and actually saved the students he was supposed to protect, unlike the school cop(s) in Parkland Florida.

The shooter is dead and the two victims are in the hospital.  One in critical condition and the other in good condition.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/shooting-reported-great-mills-maryland-high-school-n858186

Two students at a Maryland high school were shot Tuesday after a classmate opened fire in the hallway just before the start of classes, authorities said.

Great Mills High School remained on lockdown after the shooting was "contained" when a school resource officer "engaged" the gunman, St. Mary's County Sheriff Tim Cameron told NBC Washington.

The shooter was injured and taken to the hospital, where he later died, officials said at a news conference. He was not immediately identified.

Why do I feel this is only go to fuel the 'we need more guns to fight guns' argument instead of a call for gun control.  Oh well, glad the officer did his job and prevented numerous casualties.

Just now, Tre Mac said:

Why do I feel this is only go to fuel the 'we need more guns to fight guns' argument instead of a call for gun control.  Oh well, glad the officer did his job and prevented numerous casualties.

Because we have a real life caricature as our president in the US and a bunch of self serving greedy monkeys in Congress.

15 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its so sad that this is just a normal week in the US. How did this ever get normalized? I think I'm in the fatalistic camp on this now, I just don't see how it will ever change. 

I'm not for heavy handed gun control, but I would like more common sense in the laws.  The biggest being people with diagnosed medical mental issues should be barred from ever owning a gun.  If you have violent behavioral issues, you lose your right to own a gun for a determined amount of time by a state judge.  It won't stop gun crimes, nothing will, but it will lessen them.

5 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Yeah, you stick it to those entitled kids man!

Nope, if I was sticking it to them, which is illegal depending on which stick you use, I'd have called them names and belittled their intelligence.

I was hoping they were right, but unfortunately not.

3 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

I'm not for heavy handed gun control, but I would like more common sense in the laws.  The biggest being people with diagnosed medical mental issues should be barred from ever owning a gun.  If you have violent behavioral issues, you lose your right to own a gun for a determined amount of time by a state judge.  It won't stop gun crimes, nothing will, but it will lessen them.

I am.

Guns are a heavy handed issue so to dabble just won't do much.  I don't think anything will do "much" on an immediate basis, but people don't "need" guns.  If you're a hunter who feeds him/herself or the family, then only.  And, the burden of proof of that should be "heavy handed".  

Logs of gun use, ammunition, etc.

Will it get the illegal guns out?  No.  But it will quickly identify them as such and it's a start.  Weed them out (or at least try).

People JUST DON'T NEED GUNS.  So the fact that they have them is a problem.  They are used for one thing and one thing only.....injuring/killing.  People NEED cars...they are transportation.  People need knives (for cutting/cooking).  Things that serve a purpose that are instead used to kill are different in my view.

Guns make it too easy....stand from afar, don't even really need to aim if your aim is to kill anyone and everyone.  You have to get up close and personal with a knife (or even a car).

This part:

If you have violent behavioral issues,

would be great, except when it's kids doing the killing, these issues may not have surfaced or been documented/addressed.  They're giving a full on demonstration in real time. 

There's just not time to wait and assess.

6 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

People JUST DON'T NEED GUNS. 

Some people who live off the land in the North, for example, or who hunt for food are fine by me owning guns but that is about 0.1% of the population.   Rest of population, agree with you entirely.   

14 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Some people who live off the land in the North, for example, or who hunt for food are fine by me owning guns but that is about 0.1% of the population.   Rest of population, agree with you entirely.   

In Canada it’s closer to 8.4%. In Alberta only last year, 445K people applied for a license. 

8 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

In Canada it’s closer to 8.4%. In Alberta only last year, 445K people applied for a license. 

Albertas population is like 4 million.  That's 10% of the entire population applying in only 1 year

23 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I am.

Guns are a heavy handed issue so to dabble just won't do much.  I don't think anything will do "much" on an immediate basis, but people don't "need" guns.  If you're a hunter who feeds himself or the family, then only.  And, the burden of proof of that should be "heavy handed".  

Logs of gun use, ammunition, etc.

Will it get the illegal guns out?  No.  But it will quickly identify them as such and it's a start.  Weed them out (or at least try).

People JUST DON'T NEED GUNS.  So the fact that they have them is a problem.  They are used for one thing and one thing only.....injuring/killing.  People NEED cars...they are transportation.  People need knives (for cutting/cooking).  Things that serve a purpose that are instead used to kill are different in my view.

Guns make it too easy....stand from afar, don't even really need to aim if your aim is to kill anyone and everyone.  You have to get up close and personal with a knife (or even a car).

This part:

would be great, except when it's kids doing the killing, these issues may not have surfaced or been documented/addressed.  They're giving a full on demonstration in real time. 

There's just not time to wait and assess.

Canada has roughly 3 guns per every 10 people with a population of 36 million people.  Guess what those numbers are in the US.  The genie is already out of the bottle here in the US.  We have hundreds of millions of guns to go with hundreds of millions of people.  Banning them would just immediately take them out of the hands of people looking to protect themselves against criminals who will always have access to a gun for the foreseeable future no matter what.  I'm not willing to shift power to criminals for the next few decades that it would take to get guns to become a rarity here.

Yes that means that innocent people will continue to die.

Archived