The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

School Shooting In Great Mills Maryland

SabreFan1

5 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I am.

Guns are a heavy handed issue so to dabble just won't do much.  I don't think anything will do "much" on an immediate basis, but people don't "need" guns.  If you're a hunter who feeds him/herself or the family, then only.  And, the burden of proof of that should be "heavy handed".  

Logs of gun use, ammunition, etc.

Will it get the illegal guns out?  No.  But it will quickly identify them as such and it's a start.  Weed them out (or at least try).

People JUST DON'T NEED GUNS.  So the fact that they have them is a problem.  They are used for one thing and one thing only.....injuring/killing.  People NEED cars...they are transportation.  People need knives (for cutting/cooking).  Things that serve a purpose that are instead used to kill are different in my view.

Guns make it too easy....stand from afar, don't even really need to aim if your aim is to kill anyone and everyone.  You have to get up close and personal with a knife (or even a car).

This part:

would be great, except when it's kids doing the killing, these issues may not have surfaced or been documented/addressed.  They're giving a full on demonstration in real time. 

There's just not time to wait and assess.

Disagree. The times in history where leaders took guns from the people did not work out well for the people. 

Do you think Canada has a gun problem?

39 minutes ago, Hypocritical Cranium said:

Both parties right? 

That's what "In Congress" means.  If I meant just Republicans or Democrats, I would have said as much.

As much as I dislike having Trump as President, I don't disagree with everything he says and does.

52 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

If I'm not a farmer and drive a lifted truck am I still a man?

Sure, assuming you don't use a gun to make you feel like one.     My point was to the guy assuming all farmers needed guns and any farmer who didn't was obviously not a "real" farmer.   If you want to bring in all truck drivers, that's not my call.

51 minutes ago, Hypocritical Cranium said:

Wolves, cougars, bears, coyotes etc don't run from dogs or or fences. I call BS on any family who owns a farm and doesn't own a gun. I have never met a farmer without a gun and I deal directly with them almost daily. 

Good for you, then your BS is contradicted by reality.   There are PLENTY of farms that don't have guns.    I grew up on one.

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Sure, assuming you don't use a gun to make you feel like one.     My point was to the guy assuming all farmers needed guns and any farmer who didn't was obviously not a "real" farmer.   If you want to bring in all truck drivers, that's not my call.

I'm just messing with you. I have guns but I don't use them to feel like a man.

7 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Looks like the school cop in Maryland did his job this morning and actually saved the students he was supposed to protect, unlike the school cop(s) in Parkland Florida.

The shooter is dead and the two victims are in the hospital.  One in critical condition and the other in good condition.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/shooting-reported-great-mills-maryland-high-school-n858186

Looks like he did his job, unlike the Parkland guy/guys.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I have no idea how may "head of cattle" they have but I could ask I imagine - never really thought about it.   I know one of the farms, near Drumheller, and the one I have been too most does only crops (canola now for about 10 years) but they have chickens/sheep/goats nearer the house and dogs do just fine keeping any animals away. 

I know the drum area extremely well especially around hussar and standard. in fact I was just hunting moose there last November. I’ve likely talked to your family.  That area is also known to get the odd cougar. It would be extremely dumb for them to not have a firearm and I highly doubt they don’t not even just for protection but to be able to put there dogs down humanely if they get attacked and are suffering. I’ve had to do that with two dogs. And yes we have fences. 

Just like with hockey discussion, someone doesn't agree with you and you automatically go into full Richard mode.   I could give a crap about what you believe or don't believe but just because anytime someone has information that doesn't fit your view of the world (in this case, farmers need guns), you go full Richard.   

You made a broad statement without the slightest of clue of what you are talking about in typical rob fashion. Nothing irritates me more than someone who know nothing’s about are area but yet feels so inclined to make stupid statement.  It would like me trying to tell you about playing hockey in Germany. 

Speaks volumes about a few things - that's on you. 

Yes it does speak volumes, it’s not on me it up to you to get educated. 

Second, my family is PROUD of the non-gun thing just for the reason of being able to talk to the likes of you that feel they speak for all of anything (hockey people, farmers, idiots who carry guns).   It is far from something to be impressed with...and I am not.

You claimed it they have livestock and back it up with chickens and goats and farming canola. I’m glad they can get by.   

Oh, as far as I know, all of the farms have fences.   I have not driven the perimeter of all of them but can say, with confidence, they have fences.   You have farms without fences.   Cool story.   

What type of fence keeps out a coyote, wolf or cougar. As far as I know all ranches don’t have 14’ high chainlink fences. Sounds like you once again don’t have a clue of what your talking about. 

It doesn't matter how many innocent people are killed by guns each and every day.

It 's about the "MONEY".

One day Trump is calling people out that they are scared of the NRA,and the next day he was the one scared by the NRA and shut the hell up about it.

Even AMERICAN PRESIDENTS can't help their own citizens from being slaughtered needlessly.

JUST SO GREEDY POLITICIANS CAN GET RICH,

this is "murica".Seems like the hillbillys run the country.

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

I'm just messing with you. I have guns but I don't use them to feel like a man.

I don't feel messed with so not a problem :lol:

I am getting a kick from a few insisting that without their guns, farmers can't farm.   What a crock!    

I am far from a snowflake left-leaning urbanite - but I am very anti-gun as I simply don't get them in the context of our modern world.   They have a role in LE, subsistence hunting and some wildlife management but that's it.   No other legitimate role that one can argue that doesn't involve other far less violent options that all work just fine....that is, unless your goal is to kill someone/something.    The world has enough unnecessary death - why add to it?    

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I don't feel messed with so not a problem :lol:

I am getting a kick from a few insisting that without their guns, farmers can't farm.   What a crock!    

I am far from a snowflake left-leaning urbanite - but I am very anti-gun as I simply don't get them in the context of our modern world.   They have a role in LE, subsistence hunting and some wildlife management but that's it.   No other legitimate role that one can argue that doesn't involve other far less violent options that all work just fine....that is, unless your goal is to kill someone/something.    The world has enough unnecessary death - why add to it?    

I told you, I go out to my buddies acreage and shoot gophers regularly.B)

6 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

You claimed it they have livestock and back it up with chickens and goats and farming canola. I’m glad they can get by.   

That is one farm mate, one farm.   "Family" may be a stretch but it is extended and that involves about seven different properties among relatives.  For one example, I know another farm out there does cattle....I don't remember at all how many animals, something like about one per every two acres or something and I think they have several thousand acres.   I know they don't have guns - in fact I know they are very gun averse.   I am not aware of them every mentioning concerns about losses of cattle or even babies from dingoes or any other form of zombie attack or whatever the h - e - double hockey stick you think you need a gun to protect yourself from.   

As far as getting by, the new Federal government and the Alberta provincial government is freaking them out with how little they seem to understand how farming works let alone the impact of policies that take away key issues like income splitting and such.    I can say, with confidence, they are far more concerned with the "animals" in Ottawa and Edmonton/Regina than they are any stray coyote or cougar.   The only cougars I have ever seen in Alberta were in Calgary and Edmonton and were easy to avoid if you watched your alcohol intake.

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I told you, I go out to my buddies acreage and shoot gophers regularly.B)

Well, you and I differ there as I would find that to be offensive and cruel.   I get some find gophers to be a nuisance but I am sure they don't like us humans either and I don't feel we have a right to kill everything we don't like.    I do like the ignore button on this site - I use it.   I know you can't in real life but I wonder, given some on this site, if guns were available how many shootings may occur in the virtual world.   I hate to ponder that concept when I see some of the aggression from some.

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

That is one farm mate, one farm.   "Family" may be a stretch but it is extended and that involves about seven different properties among relatives.  For one example, I know another farm out there does cattle....I don't remember at all how many animals, something like about one per every two acres or something and I think they have several thousand acres.   I know they don't have guns - in fact I know they are very gun averse.   I am not aware of them every mentioning concerns about losses of cattle or even babies from dingoes or any other form of zombie attack or whatever the h - e - double hockey stick you think you need a gun to protect yourself from.   

As far as getting by, the new Federal government and the Alberta provincial government is freaking them out with how little they seem to understand how farming works let alone the impact of policies that take away key issues like income splitting and such.    I can say, with confidence, they are far more concerned with the "animals" in Ottawa and Edmonton/Regina than they are any stray coyote or cougar.   The only cougars I have ever seen in Alberta were in Calgary and Edmonton and were easy to avoid if you watched your alcohol intake.

Couple things.

1) Saskatchewan has a good government

2) Avoid?? Why? :P

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Couple things.

1) Saskatchewan has a good government

2) Avoid?? Why? :P

They complain in Sask too but, agreed, Alberta kin complain a lot more!

Ryan, how old are you.   Cougars may be in my future but right now - they scare the beejeezus out of me.   

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Well, you and I differ there as I would find that to be offensive and cruel.   I get some find gophers to be a nuisance but I am sure they don't like us humans either and I don't feel we have a right to kill everything we don't like.    I do like the ignore button on this site - I use it.   I know you can't in real life but I wonder, given some on this site, if guns were available how many shootings may occur in the virtual world.   I hate to ponder that concept when I see some of the aggression from some.

Religion, guns, politics, makes for serious debate I guess. Just look @Jimmy McGill called me a snowflake and a liberal, imagine how angry I am.

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Shootouts aren't really that common.  Those using the guns generally aren't fired back on/at from the stories I see.

It sounds easy to point and fire, but when you're gripped by fear and a gun is already upon you, you actually have to grab yours and aim.  Too late?

That's just my initial thinking.

The power is already there...these daily shootings are proof of that.  

Don’t thieves pass by houses (in most circumstances) that have a nasty sounding dog barking inside and go to an easier target?  maybe a thief thinks twice about robbing a person if the thief suspects the person has a gun?   I certainly don’t recommend everyone packs a gun, but in some parts maybe that’s almost needed?

Archived