The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in two college defensemen

skategal

6 minutes ago, combover said:

BUT do they have any interest in Vancouver.

Vancouver not exactly a hot destination for many quality UFAs. 

I do  Hope we can nab a few dmen since the system is a bleak with d depth as it was 4-5 years ago.

Wouldn’t these college UFAs be looking for the best chance to make the team?  Maybe they see what Stecher did, and that motivates them to sign here?

Colton Poolman played with Boeser so maybe there's an inside track there.

Keeper tore up the Manitoba junior league.... thats good right? 

Obviously both Utica bound but always nice to get free prospects. 

47 minutes ago, combover said:

I do  Hope we can nab a few dmen since the system is a bleak with d depth as it was 4-5 years ago.

I would think a lot of young prospects  should be interested in Van - it's a team building around Brock and Bo - room  for players to prove themselves - opportunity - and hey - Van is a beautiful city - or I always thought so every time I was there

I can already see the annual free agent scramble beginning. Fans hear a certain player is available. Fans search stats and profiles and determine he'd be a great fit for Vancouver. Fans campaign for him to sign here, offering all kinds of speculative reasons why he should. Then when he signs with another team, well, he's a selfish jerk and never was any good and fans hope he fails miserably for blowing Vancouver off. Rinse and repeat. Happens every year.

poolman's brother was drafted by winnipeg and they have played together all the way through hockey. i could see him choosing winnipeg if they call.

keeper is a physical 2 way rd-man, 6'2" 194.  needs to be more in control of his emotions. 

2 hours ago, combover said:

For young players?   It is likely one of the top destinations...in fact, given your awesome city and reputation for being one of the best places to live on the entire planet, that only helps add to the fact that as a hockey place for young players, few are better right now.   Young players want to go where a team is on the build and has openings.   The Canucks have those and in particular on the back end.   They also want to go where a team develops its young players - the growth of Virtanen and Boeser over the year would be noticed - particularly with Boeser.   Further, seeing an undrafted Dman from their school getting top four minutes with Vancouver in just his second season has to help the cause too.

Signing older FAs is harder for a rebuild team as they are looking for playoffs and cup potential whereas for the young ones, they want EXACTLY what Vancouver has to offer.

Archived