The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Vegas Golden Knights

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think they're probably leaning towards coming back for one more year, but don't want to create a distraction for the team during the season. (pros)

Yes, we cannot have a distraction as the team is focused on driving its way down to the bottom of the league at breakneck speed...

:unsure:

Problem is that the longer they don't tell management the more the latter are handcuffed from building this team.  They owe it to the present and future success of the team to make a decision sooner than later.  No player or players are greater than the team, and it's arguable that with the playoffs lost there are no distractions and having something like their pending retirement decided now could actually be a positive thing in an otherwise bleak ending to yet another poor season.

Tossing a jersey or wearing a bag is the ultimate expression of unhappiness. That they had a jersey and are sitting in an emptying building watching a team that has been losing for 3 years indicates that they are hard core fans that have stuck it out for a very long time.

Yes it may/could be that those that do have changed allegiance but it does "scream" that the club is losing the hardcore fans.

They pay $250 for seats, $40 for parking, 2/3 hours travel, $8 a beer and $200 for a jersey and then they throw it on the ice, that is a massive statement. Ditto with just not wanting to identify with the product being displayed, especially for season ticket holders that are paying maybe 4 g's for seats.

If it did happen, it took 4 years, that is tolerance way beyond most Canadian teams.

And Leipsic is not faster than half the team, he doesn't knock people off the puck. 

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yes, we cannot have a distraction as the team is focused on driving its way down to the bottom of the league at breakneck speed...

:unsure:

Problem is that the longer they don't tell management the more the latter are handcuffed from building this team.  They owe it to the present and future success of the team to make a decision sooner or later.  No player or players are greater than the team, and it's arguable that with the playoffs lost there are no distractions and having something like their pending retirement decided now could actually be a positive thing in an otherwise bleak ending to yet another poor season.

They are probably willing to wait and see how  the draft goes,  and how management builds this team through  free agency, trades etc before making a decision. 

4 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Tossing a jersey or wearing a bag is the ultimate expression of unhappiness. That they had a jersey and are sitting in an emptying building watching a team that has been losing for 3 years indicates that they are hard core fans that have stuck it out for a very long time.

Yes it may/could be that those that do have changed allegiance but it does "scream" that the club is losing the hardcore fans.

They pay $250 for seats, $40 for parking, 2/3 hours travel, $8 a beer and $200 for a jersey and then they throw it on the ice, that is a massive statement. Ditto with just not wanting to identify with the product being displayed, especially for season ticket holders that are paying maybe 4 g's for seats.

If it did happen, it took 4 years, that is tolerance way beyond most Canadian teams.

And Leipsic is not faster than half the team, he doesn't knock people off the puck. 

A true hardcore fan won't through a jersey onto the ice.  

5 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

They are probably willing to wait and see how  the draft goes,  and how management builds this team through  free agency, trades etc before making a decision. 

The Sedins' decision will impact free agency.  Benning wants to have their decision before - he already hoped to have an answer at the TDL so he could plan.

5 hours ago, smithers joe said:

the team knows what they have to do, how to play. they just don't have the horses right now. the boys are trying. they are just outplayed by better teams. not all these players will be on this team next season. i say, thank you canucks for going out there, trying to win for us with a depleted line up and few goal scorers. 

You are correct they are being outplayed by better teams but I wouldn't say that effort is there from every player. Virtanen and Liepsic for example have been playing hard throughout this but Hank ? I am not seeing all the little things being done by the whole team and that is disheartening to see.

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Well I wouldn't know. I never have, I'm too concerned for the guys who are pulling on the jerseys for my team to cr-p on their effort.

We will get who we are meant to get in this draft unless it is fixed and that is very unlikely imo.

There is no need to cheer for a tank - you have no influence on the result, none of us have, so you might as well cheer on your team. Would you look Bo or Dorsett or Stech in the eye and say you don't mind the team being beaten, while you wear your Canucks jersey?

Yes I would.

Losing right now for a higher percentage of getting Dahlin is for their own good.  You get a guy like Dahlin and all of their careers improve moving forward.

5 hours ago, smithers joe said:

the team knows what they have to do, how to play. they just don't have the horses right now. the boys are trying. they are just outplayed by better teams. not all these players will be on this team next season. i say, thank you canucks for going out there, trying to win for us with a depleted line up and few goal scorers. 

Nobody thanks me for going to work everyday, for a fraction of what the Canucks make. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I wish Green would at least experiment with more shifts with the twins split up for the rest of the season. Henrik is still decent enough to be a fill in 2C until someone like EP or Gaudette are ready, but he needs two speedy line mates to cover his defensive liabilities. If it were any other two players we would have seen it by now. I'd be happy to see them back if they were put on separate lines 5 on 5 so we're not hamstrung with a line that never quite has the right RW partner since Burrows. 

Good points for sure. They are just so dam slow together making them a huge defensive liability. 

20 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

A true hardcore fan won't through a jersey onto the ice.  

How much are your season tickets? That is true hard core. How many jerseys do you own? Autographs? Words don't mean much without actions, step up and help fill the empty seats, but the merchandise, paint yourself blue and standup in the games.

I've been around since the team was a hope, I don't have to cheer every bad move and decision and I certainly am not required to "stay happy" when the team is losing.

To me "participation" is not the goal, neither is a single nights entertainment, it is a season and the ultimate goal is the grail.  When therewas decades ahead it was easy to stand back and wait, later I found I couldn't get that hour, day or year back and I am running out of days, years and decades. And still the same old messages over and over with only two GM's that produced what they said within 3/4 years.

Vegas = 1 year, can't be done, can't build a team in one year and yet.....oops

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

So many don't though.

The season ticket holders (that I know) understand and accept.  They don't expect and then abandon.  

The ones who like to scream the loudest, often, are gifted the seats.  I know, because I recently received 60 lower bowl seats in a contest I won for our school.  That's a large chunk of seating and the people who wanted tickets weren't all "fans" of the team or the game.  I made sure they went to those who were.

There are many corporate STH that just randomly give out the tickets...I hear of "no one wanting them", which sort of speaks volumes in the climate of that particular office.  Fairweather.

I know this is painful, but you go for so many reasons other than just winning if you're a fan.  Currently, I am excited about the young players and the energy they're bringing.  Some are already giving up on them?

Sometimes, it's even to see players on the other team as part of the overall experience.  Hockey fan.

We have a lot of fans who don't even pay attention when they're there...they're a real treat to be seated by.  Now, I generally try to have fun, but it gets annoying when they are too self absorbed in selfies to remove the phone from over their heads.  We had a few last game...leaning against the rails and obstructing the view...NOT to see the game, but to lean in to talk to one another across the guy in the middle.  One in a big, puffy coat with a fur lined hood that impeded the view.  But he looked good, so isn't that the point?  

We aren't losing "hardcore fans".  We're weeding out some of the other ones.  

I hate to sound bitter but, as a fan who snaps up those tickets when the others go away, that's the time to support your team if it is your team.  When the going gets rough.

1 hour ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

They owe it to the present and future success of the team to make a decision sooner than later.  No player or players are greater than the team...

If they want them back, how is management supposed to know what to do with the roster until they declare their intentions?  JB is hopefully firm with them when he needs to be -- "I've got a job to do here, and if you don't say anything (crap or get off the pot) we're moving on without you."

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

That's what I was thinking too, I would rather get lucky for a change and move up rather then finishing dead last and STILL losing out on #1. That would hurt more.

I'd rather slide down to 4th instead of sliding down to 5th again.

Archived