The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Vegas Golden Knights

-Vintage Canuck-

5 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

And I'm back, because I do feel strongly about some of this.

You can't put a cost on things like this.  When you support a team, no one forces you to do any of these things.  As a single Mom with little extra income to dispose of over the years, I found a way to do it without spending hundreds.  All that stuff isn't about "the team" or their fault. 

You can sit in the rafters, wear a hat that you got for free during an event, refrain from drinking at the game, take transit, etc.   That's how I made it work.  (I also have some truly wonderful friends who have provided tickets at times, so want to acknowledge that part too).  If you want to be there, all that other stuff isn't necessary.  But sure, if you want lower bowl seats, to eat & drink at the game, drive right to the door fully decked that's your deal...it's just that those aren't "costs" that you have to incur to participate.  

There is somehow this sense of entitlement that some of those who CAN spend like maniacs have.  These are choices you've made that you can't pin on the team.  No one has to buy a $200 jersey or beer to watch the team.

There are "thrifty" ways to do this if you really want it.  

Throwing a jersey has to be one the dumbest statements ever.  It's so ridiculous and just screams of waste and attention seeking.  Throw it to a kid (at least) and make the journey somewhat positive, even if making a statement.

Season ticket holders shouldn't ever expect to "win".  They should "cheer" to win.

In a half full glass you should be happy that you are in a place of good fortune and can make these choices.  The rest is all gravy.

We have had injuries during a period when this team was starting to roll....it's a setback.  And, eventually, it caught up.  There are only so many holes you can fill before the raft takes on water.  

It's exciting to see the young kids we have coming up through the ranks.  If you're not on board with that...if it's only "wins" that interest you, then it's just likely doomed from the start.  I get the whole "long time with nothing" deal that frustrates some.  I've been there (too).  But I look back with nothing but good memories, because there have been many.  It's just what you take out of it all.

OK, I'll shut up now (maybe, no promises).

This is well said.   Some people can only be fans if they win.   That's their issue and life must be eternally frustrating for them.

When I was very young a now retired NHL player told me about fans and what he liked about them.   He said "true fans will cheer for you when you win, but will cheer harder for you when you are down and need a boost".   That is what real fans do.    

Those who don't want to stick with a team as it goes through an inevitable down cycle are not, in my books, real fans.   Fairweather fans are fine but in the end, they are missing out.   You cannot know true joy in life without getting through some muck.

6 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

They outhit the Knights almost 2 to 1 and outshot them.   How is that playing "soft"?   

Lets be realistic here, a hit from Hank or Boucher or even Stecher is not going to influence a game one way or another. I bet the players that hit them probably don't even remember it as a hit. :lol: A hit by Gudbranson or Virtanen on the other hand................. Well that might get recognized.

19 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Lets be realistic here, a hit from Hank or Boucher or even Stecher is not going to influence a game one way or another. I bet the players that hit them probably don't even remember it as a hit. :lol: A hit by Gudbranson or Virtanen on the other hand................. Well that might get recognized.

Virtanen had six hits to lead the forwards.   He has been leading forwards from both teams in hits more games than he has not lately and his hits/60 continues to climb into league leaders (tied for 10th right now).

18 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

And I guess you think a hit from a Sedin is still considered a "hit". :lol: 

Where did anyone mention a Sedin in any of this? :lol:  You do in consecutive posts here that had nothing to do with them and didn't even remotely mention them.  You have a fixation buddy.   

Did one of them run over your dog?   

37 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

I think for a lot of people that still means fights.

Don Cherry anserwed the toughness question this way.  When asked if there was anyone on the Big Bad ?Bruins tougher than Stan Jonathan, Cherry replied Jean Ratelle.  The reporter was totalling confused, because Ratelle was a Lady Bing candidate.  Cherry said the toughest players are often the elite skilled guys, like Ratelle, who are the targets of hits, slashes, and generally nasty stuff.  He said Ratelle was tough because no matter how much abuse he took, he kept on playing the same way.  I think the Twins are tough like Ratelle.  

9 hours ago, Stelar said:

If this is the last season of the Sedins, shouldn’t there be some sort of announcement so fans can say a proper goodbye to them during the last few home games? It would be odd to have no recognition and have them retire once the season is over.  

they might announce it after the season ends or before the last 1-2 home games, or do an off season farewell game dedicated to them

5 hours ago, Rabbit said:

This season Canuck is bad, but should not bad liked these few games.

I don't mind win or lose, but care about the effort of the players.

The whole team was soft last night, and easy to giveaway, especially the Capitan.

The defenses always be non-existent.

Really hope to play more young players in the rest of games, and let Sedins taking more rest.

I love Sedins, but feel pain for their falling.

Good for both the team and Sedins, they should retire after this season. 

2 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Agree.  It does piss me off (and concern me) when Daniel talks about how players should be trying harder to earn jobs for next year and/ or to prove they deserve to be on the team.  He and Hank are the highest paid players and are C and A... Do they have any concept of how soft, predictable and ineffective they have become?  Their 5v5 game is brutal even with referred deployment and without Boeser, the PP had nose-dived.  I really hope someone is able to have a heart-tp-heart with them and get them to see it is time to hang them up.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

They outhit the Knights almost 2 to 1 and outshot them.   How is that playing "soft"?   

59 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

58 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

LOL - really?

54 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

52 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

And I guess you think a hit from a Sedin is still considered a "hit". :lol: 

30 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Virtanen had six hits to lead the forwards.   He has been leading forwards from both teams in hits more games than he has not lately and his hits/60 continues to climb into league leaders (tied for 10th right now).

Where did anyone mention a Sedin in any of this? :lol:  You do in consecutive posts here that had nothing to do with them and didn't even remotely mention them.  You have a fixation buddy.   

Did one of them run over your dog?   

Hahaha! You crack me up buddy. You are constantly trying to prove me wrong. I think you have the fixation not me. :wacko: 

I put some quotes from other posters to refresh your memory so I am not the only one discussing them AND, actually you had brought up the teams(I think that includes the Sedins and their registered hits) had outhit the Knights 2-1.

18 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Actually our attendance numbers aren't that bad.

We're 17th out of 31. 

Even if we're middle of the pack, attendance is near capacity. Winning in this market will pack the building every year. 17th is not a good look for a Canadian team with the passion that we have for our team.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

This is well said.   Some people can only be fans if they win.   That's their issue and life must be eternally frustrating for them.

When I was very young a now retired NHL player told me about fans and what he liked about them.   He said "true fans will cheer for you when you win, but will cheer harder for you when you are down and need a boost".   That is what real fans do.    

Those who don't want to stick with a team as it goes through an inevitable down cycle are not, in my books, real fans.   Fairweather fans are fine but in the end, they are missing out.   You cannot know true joy in life without getting through some muck.

This is well said too.  I am up to my neck in muck as a Canuck fan since day 1 and I don't mind.  :)

21 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I put some quotes from other posters to refresh your memory so I am not the only one discussing them AND, actually you had brought up the teams(I think that includes the Sedins and their registered hits) had outhit the Knights 2-1.

LOL.   You are indeed, hilarious.   So if any player on the team is discussed, it is fair game for you to weigh in on your concerns about Sedins?    OK - that is pretty funny Sparky.   

You quoted a discussion about team hits in a game - none of the quotes even remotely mentioned the Sedins until you popped up.

Do you see them in your sleep?   Have you sought professional help?   :lol:

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Don Cherry anserwed the toughness question this way.  When asked if there was anyone on the Big Bad ?Bruins tougher than Stan Jonathan, Cherry replied Jean Ratelle.  The reporter was totalling confused, because Ratelle was a Lady Bing candidate.  Cherry said the toughest players are often the elite skilled guys, like Ratelle, who are the targets of hits, slashes, and generally nasty stuff.  He said Ratelle was tough because no matter how much abuse he took, he kept on playing the same way.  I think the Twins are tough like Ratelle.  

Haha OK Alf taking Don Cherry's words to say players such as the Sedins are TOUGH! Oh my yeah that's what he meant. :lol: He cannot say anything bad about any Bruin even if he tried. Nice try Alf.

6 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

LOL.   You are indeed, hilarious.   So if any player on the team is discussed, it is fair game for you to weigh in on your concerns about Sedins?    OK - that is pretty funny Sparky.   

You quoted a discussion about team hits in a game - none of the quotes even remotely mentioned the Sedins until you popped up.

Do you see them in your sleep?   Have you sought professional help?   :lol:

Yeah Ok bud. Smoke another one now K! ::D

Arizona - Buffalo 4:1, means we are not falling to last (yet), but at least establish second last.

TEAM                  GP    PT    ROW    GD

29. Arizona         73     61     23        -52
30. Vancouver   73     59     25        -53
31. Buffalo          73     58     22        -68

I thought it was a better game than they usually played seeing them live last night.

Felt markstrom got alot better after the second goal which had lots of bounces just like the first goal.Vegas plays well disciplined hockey but theu have a tough time keeping the puck in the zone.The reffing last night was utter garbage.

They had alot of media during the game which was really weird but very crudly done.seems like they have absolutely no respect for the visiting team whatsoever.there fans are super super cocky.

3 hours ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

I also don't understand why every single slight against our players must be met with a beatdown. That's not how the sport is played anymore.

1 hour ago, krizzel said:

Arizona - Buffalo 4:1, means we are not falling to last (yet), but at least establish second last.

TEAM                  GP    PT    ROW    GD

29. Arizona         73     61     23        -52
30. Vancouver   73     59     25        -53
31. Buffalo          73     58     22        -68

Why on earth is Buffalo so bad still?  They picked 2 OA in 2 consecutive years:  2014 (Reinhart), 2015 (Eichel).  Inadequate D, broken culture?  They've missed the playoffs 6 consecutive years.  Not as bad as Edmonton's 10.

Archived