The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks up the creek without an OAR? [Discussion]

I just read this.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/ben-kuzma-more-complete-goldobin-doesnt-want-to-lose-wow-factor

and had a brain bubble when I hit the part about Kovalchuk returning to the NHL and how stoked Goldy was that it could be" with the Canucks". After I finished laughing I actually considered it. 

"If" The Canucks indeed manage to secure Svechnicov in the draft would it not make sense to consider Kovalchuk? Especially transitioning from the Sedins. Kovalchuk could be the key to unlocking Svechnikov, Goldy, Tryamkin.

POP! 

It makes sense to have more than one Russian on the team, but only to make them feel more comfortable. The Canucks have been doing that with Swedish players for years. Goldobin is the only Russian player the Canucks have on the team, I can see why he would want a Russian legend on the team as well. I'm not sure Kovalchuk would be a good fit though. He wants to win a Cup, why would he want to come to Vancouver? He'll also want term and big bucks. For a player that's already bolted back to Russia, this is a big risk. Maybe the Canucks get a Top 3 pick and draft Svechnikov? As for Tryamkin, I think he only comes back if the Canucks still have his rights by the time they're contenders.

6 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

Yes. Let's draft a Russian then spend the next 3 seasons worrying about how he's going back to the KHL because he's not playing enough.

Three years of material right there for the media hacks in this town.

Speaking of which, how’s Nichushkin doing? 

20 hours ago, 6string said:

I thought Kovulchuk was on record for a cup contending team so he can complete the triple crown, Olympic, Worlds and Stanley Cup?

Yup. He won't want to come here. I'm guessing Washington if they can afford it.

Archived