The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seattle joining Pacific Division (Will shift 1 team out. ARZ best bet?)

Rush17

With the pending Seattle franchise confirmation.  One of the teams in the Pacific division would likely have to be shifted to bring balance to the division team totals.  The most likely candidate would be the Arizona Coyotes.  geographically speaking Edmonton or Calgary would be the closest to the central division as a whole.  But Given the rivalry between the Alberta franchises, it makes little to no sense to move them.  Vegas could be argued as another option given they are somewhat inland but the rivalry they are trying to build with the close by California teams make zero sense for them.  This leaves Arizona as the most likely team to be shifted to the central division.  After all, ARZ is close to the Dallas Stars.  

If this is going to happen.  How do you guys feel this will help our squad and division? and how it will impact the other teams in the central? (Pacific would have 7 teams and Central 5 unless one moved)

Pacific Divison would likely shape out:

vancouver-canucks.png Vancouver Canucks

calgary-flames.png Calgary Flames

edmonton-oilers.png Edmonton Oilers

2.png Seattle Franchise

san-jose-sharks.png San Jose Sharks

vegas-golden-knights.png Vegas Golden Knights

anaheim-ducks.png Anaheim Ducks

los-angeles-kings.png Los Angeles Kings

Central Divison would likely shape out:

winnipeg-jets.png Winnipeg Jets
minnesota-wild.png Minnesota Wild 
chicago-blackhawks.png Chicago Blackhawks
st-louis-blues.png St Louis Blues
colorado-avalanche.png Colorado Avalanche

nashville-predators.png Nashville Predators
arizona-coyotes.png Arizona Coyotes
dallas-stars.png Dallas Stars

Tell me what you guys think~  Curious if anyone has any alternative thoughts of who may go if not ARZ.  :D Thanks folks!

Here is current alignment map from the Vegas Expansion.

NHL-alignment-map-2017.png

Edit: Added photos for easier digesting of information.

Man that Pacific would be tough to win. 

I don't think the AB rivalry would necessarily keep Edmonton from being moved to the Central, it would still continue regardless of what western division they were in. 

Where's Vegas? 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Man that Pacific would be tough to win. 

I don't think the AB rivalry would necessarily keep Edmonton from being moved to the Central, it would still continue regardless of what western division they were in. 

Where's Vegas? 

Lol good question. i forgot to add Nashville and Vegas.  Added them.

Edmonton could be moved I suppose.  But ARZ doesn't really have a natural rival in the Pacific.  Perhaps an Arizona/Texas rivalry could be built upon in a central division.  It just seems weird having a "west coast" city in the central division.  

2 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I don't know how the final decision would be made but I could see Edmonton wanting to move to the central possibly it, might end up being an easer division to get a playoff spot in. 

1 minute ago, mll said:

Time zone played a role last re-alignement.  

Arizona doesn't use daylight saving so it would be more logical to move Edmonton over to not have more than a 1 hour difference within the division.

Move Edmonton and Calgary to the Central and add Seattle and Colorado to the Pacific.

The travel in the central would definitely be a bigger challenge for all those teams.  It might actually help our squad stay healthy having less travel to ARZ. It may not seem like a lot but we go to ARZ what like 3 times a season?  or 4?  cutting that out would make a big difference even if its small in the grand stage of things.

Added logos for easier digestion. Wish we had a map of NA showing the team logos at each teams location.  If anyone knows of one please share!

8 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Move Edmonton and Calgary to the Central and add Seattle and Colorado to the Pacific.

That would be my guess too.  I really don't think they want a 2 hour difference within the same division.  

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I know it's easier said than done, but I would love to see this happen sometime in the future:

• Expansion to Seattle
  • Relocate Carolina to Houston
  • Relocate Arizona to Quebec City
  • Bonus: Go back to the old Division names

This would be perfect.

I like your logos and photoshop work. :) 

We know the league likely wouldn't move a franchise before the expansion is complete.  Or would they? I would think it shows their product isn't top notch if teams are moving all over. then again the arrival of Seattle may be ideal to make a move if it were to be in the same offseason.

7 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I know it's easier said than done, but I would love to see this happen sometime in the future:

• Expansion to Seattle

This would be perfect.

NHL-Relocation-Map-Houston-and-Seattle.p

I don't get why they don't lump Dallas, Houston, Nashville, St  Louis, Tampa, and Florida together.  Then shift Colorado back to the Pacific and move Chicago, Mini, and the peg to the east.  time zones i suppose. but travel wise it would save players long travel schedules. 

23 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I would jump for joy if Colorado returned to our division.  They were fun to play against and I have enjoyed our games as of late. We would just have to many teams unless like you say "edmonton/calgary move divisions.

7 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

• Expansion to Seattle

This would be perfect.

NHL-Relocation-Map-Houston-and-Seattle.p

And boom!

4 minutes ago, khay said:

Arizona is the best bet to move. Also, I think it would be a good idea to move Arizona to Houston to build rivalry between Dallas and Houston.

I'm not at all opposed to a Texas rivalry, but I struggle to believe they can afford to have a hockey team come in after the billions of dollars of damage they experienced by the hurricanes a couple of months ago. In addition, Texas is a HUGE football state. I question how a 2nd hockey team would be in terms of attendance, especially if Arizona doesn't land Dahlin.

I think the West can afford to move Arizona to the East if they are committed to the idea of a Seattle team.

52 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Edmonton could be moved I suppose.  But ARZ doesn't really have a natural rival in the Pacific.  Perhaps an Arizona/Texas rivalry could be built upon in a central division.  It just seems weird having a "west coast" city in the central division.  

They had a West coast city (Vancouver) in the Eastern Conference at one time so anything is possible. The Atlanta Flames were originally placed in the Western Conference as well.

40 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

I'm not at all opposed to a Texas rivalry, but I struggle to believe they can afford to have a hockey team come in after the billions of dollars of damage they experienced by the hurricanes a couple of months ago. In addition, Texas is a HUGE football state. I question how a 2nd hockey team would be in terms of attendance, especially if Arizona doesn't land Dahlin.

I think the West can afford to move Arizona to the East if they are committed to the idea of a Seattle team.

Sounds reasonable regarding Houston sustaining a hockey team.

But moving Arizona to the East? Do you mean relocate to an eastern city or just place the team in Eastern conference? If the latter, I don't think that's a good idea. If relocating to an Eastern city, then one of the central eastern teams like Detroit or Columbus can move back to the Western conference to have 16 teams on each conference.

Archived