The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

In a defence Heavy Draft (proposals)

I have been thinking about our prospects and when they will be ready to challenge for a playoff berth and the process in the years afterwards.

First, my statement.............we are prospect poor on the defensive side of the puck and need to make major moves towards that end. Timing will be crucial.

Secondly, it is possible to replace any of our current defensemen through free agency..........the question for management is more, do they want to?

Educated assumption................Vancouver picks 1st OA to 5th OA

Proposal #1

Tanev to NYI after the Lottery selection............................2018 1st (least of the 2) + 2018 2nd (best of the 2)...............this is less than what Calgary paid for Harmonic by 1- 2nd rounder

Proposal #2

Vancouver (at Draft day) trades their 2018 2nd (33 OA) + Baertschi to Phili/CBS/Ana/Minni/Toronto............for a 17 to 25 OA

Now I know this is a "Pie in the Sky" proposal, but as I said, this is a deep draft for defensemen............let us fill our defensive needs in one draft, so that they can mature now, and so that we are not half full on our defensive prospects.............go for forwards next draft, because they generally take less time to mature, and we have a much better offensive cupboard already, so we will be away ahead of the game 2 or 3 years down the road........looking at our 2018 picks.................I suggest we would have loaded up!

2018 1st -5th OA (Van).................................Dahlin/Boqvist/Bouchard

2018 12 OA (Islander - Calgary's).................Dobson/Hughes/Wilde

2018 (Estimate Average) 20th OA.................Smith/Woo/Miller

2018 40 OA (Islanders)...............defenseman

2018 63 OA (Van).......................defenseman

I say load with Dmen, and screw the argument that we could not do it.......NYI need to send a message to Tavares......Tanev does that

Tanev can be replaced with Carlson.............4 yrs at 7 million per....Limited NTC

Kane to replace Baertschi..................as offensive and much bigger............will be able to protect our young prospects..............4 years at 7 million....no NTC

We may never (in this prospect group) have an opportunity to do this again, so I suggest we do it, and get it over with............this will probably be the best group of Defensive Draftees in along time, with the depth going into the mid second round.................let's get ahead of the curve

Now, I expect to get flamed on this................but I will say this..............our prospects are small, Tanev and Baertschi are small, we need to get bigger and more talented, and fill our defensive coffers..........this proposal does this

Also note* this does not touch any 2019 picks and in fact may allow us to move defensive players later on....aka Pouliot/Stecher/Hutton/MDZ/Edler all of which could play on most teams in the 4/5/6 spots

Islanders probably say no. A hefty price to pay to hopefully resign Tavares who I think would leave anyway. But I could see tanev to Toronto for there 1st and Liljegren or rasanen. With those two 1sts and one of those prospects still get 3 d in the system and keep our high 2nd round pick. Which could be a player that slips through the cracks. And although he’s small I’d love to see jb go after merkley. Only problem is from what I’ve seen he’s projected to go as high as 9 and as low as 2nd round hard to guage where you could get him.

@janisahockeynut  You shouldn't get flamed.  I think a lot of people are thinking something similar is what should happen.

I don't think that your proposals will happen.  Management is going to be very careful after this free fall

1.  Tanev is a very important player and will be invaluable for future development.  He makes every player he is paired with better

2.  33 OA + Baertchi to move up 5 to 8 spots is rich imo (but would depend on the actual player available and would be a draft floor move if it happened imo).  But, Baer is an important piece in the medium term.  He may not be a core piece or may eventually be seen as expendable as a supporting piece but they are going to need him over the next couple of years especially when the Sedin's retire.  He puts up points at a little over a 0.5 ppg rate which is just fine for a 2nd line winger.

Bigger picture, defensive prospects are thin but not quite that bleak.  I'm going to name Pouliot as a prospect because he is still in the process of rounding into form.  There's Juolevi, Briesbois and Chatfield.  Thin yes, not empty.

Having said all that, if nothing happens, I would like to see at least 2 of the Canucks top 3 picks as defensemen and at least 4 of 6 is likely 

3 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

@janisahockeynut  You shouldn't get flamed.  I think a lot of people are thinking something similar is what should happen.

I don't think that your proposals will happen.  Management is going to be very careful after this free fall

1.  Tanev is a very important player and will be invaluable for future development.  He makes every player he is paired with better

2.  33 OA + Baertchi to move up 5 to 8 spots is rich imo (but would depend on the actual player available and would be a draft floor move if it happened imo).  But, Baer is an important piece in the medium term.  He may not be a core piece or may eventually be seen as expendable as a supporting piece but they are going to need him over the next couple of years especially when the Sedin's retire.  He puts up points at a little over a 0.5 ppg rate which is just fine for a 2nd line winger.

Bigger picture, defensive prospects are thin but not quite that bleak.  I'm going to name Pouliot as a prospect because he is still in the process of rounding into form.  There's Juolevi, Briesbois and Chatfield.  Thin yes, not empty.

Having said all that, if nothing happens, I would like to see at least 2 of the Canucks top 3 picks as defensemen and at least 4 of 6 is likely 

I do not disagree with you about Tanev being important, but I am growing tired of his injuries and think that when you compare........

Carlson + 2018 1st + 2018 2nd..............it is much greater than Tanev............worlds apart.............so that is why Tanev should be moved

as to where.................I think Tavares will stay in NYI, because I just think there are not that many teams that are competitive and can afford him under their cap and when everything is equal, Tavares was drafted by NYI and I think there is a discount there where somewhere.......I think he stays, especially now that it has been suggested the cap will raise.........you just don't let a asset like that walk.................would we?

But.either way, thanks for the support!

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

I have been thinking about our prospects and when they will be ready to challenge for a playoff berth and the process in the years afterwards.

First, my statement.............we are prospect poor on the defensive side of the puck and need to make major moves towards that end. Timing will be crucial.

Secondly, it is possible to replace any of our current defensemen through free agency..........the question for management is more, do they want to?

Proposal #1

Tanev to NYI after the Lottery selection............................2018 1st (least of the 2) + 2018 2nd (best of the 2)...............this is less than what Calgary paid for Harmonic by 1- 2nd rounder

Proposal #2

Vancouver (at Draft day) trades their 2018 2nd (33 OA) + Baertschi to Phili/CBS/Ana/Minni/Toronto............for a 17 to 25 OA

Now I know this is a "Pie in the Sky" proposal, but as I said, this is a deep draft for defensemen............let us fill our defensive needs in one draft, so that they can mature now, and so that we are not half full on our defensive prospects.............go for forwards next draft, because they generally take less time to mature, and we have a much better offensive cupboard already, so we will be away ahead of the game 2 or 3 years down the road........looking at our 2018 picks.................I suggest we would have loaded up!

I say load with Dmen, and screw the argument that we could not do it.......NYI need to send a message to Tavares......Tanev does that

Tanev can be replaced with Carlson.............4 yrs at 7 million per....Limited NTC

Kane to replace Baertschi..................as offensive and much bigger............will be able to protect our young prospects..............4 years at 7 million....no NTC

We may never (in this prospect group) have an opportunity to do this again, so I suggest we do it, and get it over with............this will probably be the best group of Defensive Draftees in along time, with the depth going into the mid second round.................let's get ahead of the curve

Now, I expect to get flamed on this................but I will say this..............our prospects are small, Tanev and Baertschi are small, we need to get bigger and more talented, and fill our defensive coffers..........this proposal does this

Also note* this does not touch any 2019 picks and in fact may allow us to move defensive players later on....aka Pouliot/Stecher/Hutton/MDZ/Edler all of which could play on most teams in the 4/5/6 spots

Tanev has played fewer and fewer games games each year and has missed 35 - 40% of Canucks' games over the past two years. I know he is a good player when he plays but why would a GM give up a lottery pick 1st and a 2nd round pick for a 28 year old with that type of injury history? I know I wouldn't give up anything close to that to acquire Tanev.

You must be making the assumption that the Sedins will not be back next year if you are going to spend their $14M on Carlson and Kane. How are we going to afford Boeser's new contract? And if we get hit with the potential salary recapture for Luongo retiring?

If we get Dahlin I think our defensive woes will be over pretty quick......

2 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Tanev has played fewer and fewer games games each year and has missed 35 - 40% of Canucks' games over the past two years. I know he is a good player when he plays but why would a GM give up a lottery pick 1st and a 2nd round pick for a 28 year old with that type of injury history? I know I wouldn't give up anything close to that to acquire Tanev.

You must be making the assumption that the Sedins will not be back next year if you are going to spend their $14M on Carlson and Kane. How are we going to afford Boeser's new contract? And if we get hit with the potential salary recapture for Luongo retiring?

If we get Dahlin I think our defensive woes will be over pretty quick......

I can't argue you with your thinking.....it is a question that gets brought up on a regular basis ( aka injuries)

As for the difference in the Sedin's and Kane and Carlson........Baer is in for a raise, and Tanev is 4 +, so I don't think the difference should scare us off............

But I brought this up so we could discuss, and your points are important, and I should be able to answer them.....hopefully I did????

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

I can't argue you with your thinking.....it is a question that gets brought up on a regular basis ( aka injuries)

As for the difference in the Sedin's and Kane and Carlson........Baer is in for a raise, and Tanev is 4 +, so I don't think the difference should scare us off............

But I brought this up so we could discuss, and your points are important, and I should be able to answer them.....hopefully I did????

You haven't convinced me that we won't have cap issues. Boeser is going to likely be in the $7.5 to $8.0M range, we will likely have to pay Demko a reasonable salary during that 4 year period with Kane and Carlson, replace Baer and Tanev with perhaps lower salaries, pay Pettersson big bucks and hopefully Dahlin as well. We could also get hit with an $8M salary recapture penalty that would devastate us. You might be able to get away with one of Carlson or Kane but not both for four years.

I think if you can land a 1st round pick for Tanev you take it and run... Not that Tanev is a bad player or not worth more... We are desperate!

Trading an undrafted asset for a shot at a top player makes too much sense when you consider where we are in our current arc.

As for loading up on defensemen it's not a bad idea BUT if you have the chance to draft a true #1 center with that second 1st rounder we HAVE to draft him.

We need a #1 center as much as we need a #1 defenseman. People might say Petterson is a center but will he be able to win draws in the NHL?

1 hour ago, Canucklehead73 said:

We need a #1 center as much as we need a #1 defenseman. People might say Petterson is a center but will he be able to win draws in the NHL?

Why wouldn't he be?  We have Malhotra to teach him?  If size is your concern, Little, Giroux, and Derek Ryan are all in the top 10 for faceoff percentage this season.  All are around the same size Pettersson will be playing at once he fills out, or smaller.

1 hour ago, Canucklehead73 said:

I think if you can land a 1st round pick for Tanev you take it and run... Not that Tanev is a bad player or not worth more... We are desperate!

Trading an undrafted asset for a shot at a top player makes too much sense when you consider where we are in our current arc.

As for loading up on defensemen it's not a bad idea BUT if you have the chance to draft a true #1 center with that second 1st rounder we HAVE to draft him.

Again, this is a defense heavy draft........I say don't fight it, and look to next year for another center, after you have collected all your defensive prospects.

No offense meant............:)

If OJ had turned out quicker we wouldn't be in this panic. I see our lack of depth at D but we get Try's rights in two seasons. Gud/Edler and Tanev will probably still be here -- add a more mature OJ next year---Salo trained nonetheless!.. Therefore, I say draft BPA (take at least 60% D) And go after a UFA Dman using some of the Sedin money this off season

btw I doubt we'll land Dahlin, Tavares or Karlsson. 

6 hours ago, Canucklehead73 said:

Fwiw McDavid, MacKinnon, Hischier are just above 40% in face-off wins.  

22 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Proposal #1

Proposal #2

I like the proposal. I'm down for focusing on drafting defensemen. I also think the trades are fair value. If we did swap our 33 and Baer, I'd be wanting to pick between 17 - 21.

I think your offers for the free agents is a bit low. Carlson likely be looking at 5 years 8 million a year. Other teams may be offering that as well so a 6th year may be required.

I really think Kane resigns in San Jose. He loves the locker room and he's been desperate for some playoff hockey. He's had trouble with both in the past. If he does sign with Van he'll likely look for either an extra year on the contract or an extra million per year. 

Here's hoping for Dahlin. Would instantly fill the biggest hole on our roster

55 minutes ago, HockeydownUnder said:

I like the proposal. I'm down for focusing on drafting defensemen. I also think the trades are fair value. If we did swap our 33 and Baer, I'd be wanting to pick between 17 - 21.

I think your offers for the free agents is a bit low. Carlson likely be looking at 5 years 8 million a year. Other teams may be offering that as well so a 6th year may be required.

I really think Kane resigns in San Jose. He loves the locker room and he's been desperate for some playoff hockey. He's had trouble with both in the past. If he does sign with Van he'll likely look for either an extra year on the contract or an extra million per year. 

Here's hoping for Dahlin. Would instantly fill the biggest hole on our roster

Thanks DU

My whole premise was based under the fact that not all draftees turn out and we will need 3 or 4 more besides Joulevi, so it is important to get as many dmen now, as we will never have enough otherwise.......I am thinking 1 dman will develop and play within a year, but the other 2 first will need 2 to 3 years, and the later ones 3 to 4........if we do it one at a time.........we will never be full.......they will just dribble in................not good enough for a team building for the playoffs

Next year, hey.......go all forwards............or at least have the flexibility to pick what ever you want

22 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Thanks CC

I don't disagree with your thinking

But I have tried to champion the notion that moving 1 good defenseman for another while picking up assets, is a good idea....

Now you may be thinking that Carlson doesn't want to come here, and you may very well be right......but I think we need to try

I don't think it is a secret when a players wants to move on for a bigger pay day......most times it is almost public information that he is willing to talk to a particular team

It won't come from Benning, but the agent may let everyone know............and no one in particular

There by avoiding any meddling charges by certain teams....

I don't think it is any secret that the Canucks already need to replace Dmen

Just my 5 cents worth

3 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Thanks CC

I don't disagree with your thinking

But I have tried to champion the notion that moving 1 good defenseman for another while picking up assets, is a good idea....

Now you may be thinking that Carlson doesn't want to come here, and you may very well be right......but I think we need to try

I don't think it is a secret when a players wants to move on for a bigger pay day......most times it is almost public information that he is willing to talk to a particular team

It won't come from Benning, but the agent may let everyone know............and no one in particular

There by avoiding any meddling charges by certain teams....

I don't think it is any secret that the Canucks already need to replace Dmen

Just my 5 cents worth

I don't think we can count on landing good free agents.  Who wants to come play for a team that is at bottom even if they have a decent prospect pool.  FA's want to win.  This is more of a last few pieces to the puzzle move imo.  

You can't move your best D and expect to replace him in free agency when you suck.

There's a limit to how far you can strip it down without becoming a shell of a team like the Sabres.  Listen to this interview from Sabres broadcaster Dan Dunlevy

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/dunleavy-when-you-accept-losing-to-become-better-it-comes-at-a-price-1.1035041

On 3/21/2018 at 11:03 PM, Hairy Kneel said:

If OJ had turned out quicker we wouldn't be in this panic. I see our lack of depth at D but we get Try's rights in two seasons. Gud/Edler and Tanev will probably still be here -- add a more mature OJ next year---Salo trained nonetheless!.. Therefore, I say draft BPA (take at least 60% D) And go after a UFA Dman using some of the Sedin money this off season

btw I doubt we'll land Dahlin, Tavares or Karlsson. 

Not so sure of that.   OJ's progress is matching the team's timing nicely.   If he had been in NHL this year, and certainly could have played in NHL but would it have helped his development, would that have made any difference to the prospect pool?   The Canucks next wave of playing playoff games will come when EP, OJ etc. are in the line up at same time and contributing at NHL level as they have at each level of hockey they have played.   That was not meant to be this year given their development paths so why rush it?

14 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I don't think we can count on landing good free agents.  Who wants to come play for a team that is at bottom even if they have a decent prospect pool.  FA's want to win.  This is more of a last few pieces to the puzzle move imo.  

You can't move your best D and expect to replace him in free agency when you suck.

There's a limit to how far you can strip it down without becoming a shell of a team like the Sabres.  Listen to this interview from Sabres broadcaster Dan Dunlevy

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/dunleavy-when-you-accept-losing-to-become-better-it-comes-at-a-price-1.1035041

Very true about the the shell but not totally true re. UFA.    Depends on age and what is in their background.   Younger UFAs are fine (e.g. MDZ) playing on a young and building team.   If you are older, Marleau for example, you have a very small window and want to win.   I think Carlson fits this for sure.    The younger guys, however, more want to play.    You can also get the Vanek's to come as well as placeholders.    I do agree you cannot gut a team and just do FAs ...you will overpay and end up with a Sabres.

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 4:51 PM, janisahockeynut said:

Proposal #1

Proposal #2

If its me, I am picking only defensemen every year.  Forwards are so replaceable and not genuine difference makers.  There are decent forwards available in free agency every year.  A dynamic first rate offense is driven by the defensemen.  Now if a generational talent like McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, etc...is available then draft the forward.  That requires a ton of luck, so again I would draft all D all the time. 

Archived