The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"Canucks Draft-Table" Game *Updated with final results*

TGokou

Congratulations! You are now a scout for the Vancouver Canucks and you get to have a say in who we draft. However you have to compete with the rest of the scouts (that's everyone else who chooses to participate) to get your voice in to select the player you want.

Unfortunately we were unlucky at the lottery and have been assigned #4th overall and Dahlin, Svechnikov and Zadina are now off the table. Who would you pick?

Here is how it'll work:

1. We reward your talent as scouts and we will be basing your voting power based on who you 'wanted' to select in the previous four drafts based on your opinion on draft day going back to  2014. In other words, you can't say you wanted Elias Pettersson if your opinion swayed a week after the draft, and you originally wanted Cody Glass. You also CANNOT choose someone that was drafted prior to the Canucks pick (ie. you cannot pick Barzal since he was drafted before Boeser) Be honest, people can check your post history ;-).

2. Here is how the voting power is calculated. In each of the previous four drafts, list who you wanted to pick and assign a score of 0-3.

If the player you wanted has met their potential (usually that means 1st line star forward: ie. William Nylander, Ehlers, Boeser, Keller, Tkachuk / 1st pairing D-man is very likely: ie Sergachev, McAvoy)

- Give yourself a 3

If the player you wanted is a tier below that, ie. Nick Ritchie, Travis Konecny, Jacob Chychrun (##If you wanted Juolevi, put him here as I still think he will be a 2nd pairing D man at the very least)

- Give yourself a 2

If the player you wanted has played at least 30 games but hasn't quite put it together (ie. Virtanen)

- Give yourself a 1

If the player has not played at least 30 games (not including the 2017 draft)

- Give yourself a 0

If you have NOT been around to have an opinion on previous drafts you will receive less voting power as you are more of a junior scout. Give yourself a 1 if you had no opinion that particular draft year on draft day.

##For the 2017 draft, since most playes have not played it will be based on their highest potential. I had to give some separation in voting power so here is how my very subjective scoring system will work.

If you wanted Pettersson or Vilardi - Give yourself a 3

If you wanted anyone else - Give yourself a 2

3. After listing the players and assigning the scores add the total up and choose the player you would like to draft this year: Remember you cannot choose Dahlin, Svechnikov or Zadina.

4. After a set day, (April 1st?) I'll tally up the scores and that is who we will draft ;-) Good luck!

2017 Elias Pettersson - 3

2016 Matthew Tkachuk - 3

2015 Travis Konecny - 2

2014 Nikolaj Ehlers - 3

Total 11 - Adam Boqvist

2014 - Jake Virtanen - 2

2015 - Travis Konecny - 2

2016 - Mikhail Sergachev - 3 (I never wanted Tkachuk from Day 1. For whatever reason, I just don't like the guy during my research and i was really hoping the Canucks not to draft him. Though he end up as a 3 by your standard but still i don't like him because of his personality.)

2017 - Gabe Vilardi - 2

Total: 9

2018 4th overall: Adam Boqvist (or trade down a few spots to draft Evan Bouchard)

2014-Ehlers or nylander a lot of people wanted this benning messed this up 3

2015-Travis Konecy 2

2016-Olli Juolevi 2

2017-Cody glass 2 unfair say Elias will be better then him off potential Glass has played 2 whl seasons and dominated 

total points-9

2018-4th overall Brady tkachuk has be

2014 - Ehlers (3)

2015 - I didn't make my own picks that year

2016 - Tkachuk (3)

2017 - I wanted to trade down to about 10th to take Lias Andersson (plus a pick to go with him).  Then, when Andersson was taken 5 to 10 picks higher than he was projected, I would have taken Owen Tippett (plus used the pick on Heponiemi or, if he was taken, Robertson or Hague).

Almost no one on this board had Pettersson as their pick, it'll be fun to watch everyone here claim they did now.

Fun idea. I must be the only person who doesn't target a specific player they want to draft each year. There's usually 3+ that I'd be equally happy to have.

Except Tkachuk, who I wanted and thought we'd for sure draft. Kinda glad we didn't now, but I am hoping to get his brother.

21 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

2014 - Ehlers (3)

2016 - Tkachuk (3)

2017 - I wanted to trade down to about 10th to take Lias Andersson (plus a pick to go with him).  Then, when Andersson was taken 5 to 10 picks higher than he was projected, I would have taken Owen Tippett (plus used the pick on Heponiemi or, if he was taken, Robertson or Hague).

Almost no one on this board had Pettersson as their pick, it'll be fun to watch everyone here claim they did now.

I would say I’m pretty much the same.

I  had to go back through some draft day threads to remember some of my picks which has been fun.

2017 Draft GDT comments were hilarious. Once Makar went everyone wanted Vilardi or Glass.

I posted this because there were so many good centers left but I did not really have Elias on my radar.

On 6/23/2017 at 4:34 PM, AV's Coin said:

Trade down. There is still Vilardi, Glass, Mittlestad, petterson and necas available.

Then Benning was on the phone and the boards were waiting in suspense. Once He picked Elias stuff hit the fan on these boards. LOL

2017 Mittlestadt - 2 (think he should be a 3 ;) ) Was thinking his hands, playmaking and scoring is what we needed. Happy with Elias!

2016 Sergachev - 3 wanted a defenceman. Happy with Joulevi.

2015 no one 0.  think I had a hunch it was Boeser but cant find the post and it was just a hunch. I wont take credit.

2014 Ehlers 3. Wanted some skill!

Total 8

Bouchard or Boqvist.

I think maybe Bouchard is safer, closer to be ready and maybe more complete D man but we already have Juolevi and Benning wants a power play guy.

Boqvist!

6 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

2014 - Ehlers (3)

2016 - Tkachuk (3)

Indeed. 

6 hours ago, Master Mind said:

Fun idea. I must be the only person who doesn't target a specific player they want to draft each year. There's usually 3+ that I'd be equally happy to have.

Except Tkachuk, who I wanted and thought we'd for sure draft. Kinda glad we didn't now, but I am hoping to get his brother.

Exactly.  Say your guys gone, like I wanted PLD, and reasonable expectation given most lists had him around five and he's taken early (what we missed on Mathews? But he was OUR guy)

Wait MT is still on the board!  He wasn't my pick because I never thought he'd still be around, does that make it everyone's pick by default? 

Who's homer that willa actually say Juolevi (not worth 2 points yet, not when Chychrun, Sergechev and McAvoy actually play in the NHL and play well when they do) as their pick going in, or Chychrun or Sergechev, we should have been able to trade down and get at least two of these guys, which makes me think Juolevi was Vancouver's consultation prize (Benning all but said he was picking PLD before the draft, when MT fell on his lap ....let's just say if he had three or four guys he'd, he must have had Juolevi right at one or two.)

Its also a homer system that Juolevi ranks a 2 when he hasn't done anything yet at this point.  He's not a total bust or zero, so maybe a one. 

Ehlers is easy because JV was an off the board pick. 

Last year I was happy with Glass, Valardi and Mittelstadt.  Pettersson?  Naaahhh.  Glad Bennings picking and not me.

At four I would take Bouchard,  am ok with Boqvist or BT too, but Bouchard I think is going to be something special, and he's not small either.   Anything else is another WTF  Benning draft, which may go Juolevi or Pettersson.  

Fool's game.  I am not privy to all the scouting info so I just based it off of what TSN has their NHL comparison(in brackets) 

2018 - Sounds like Tkachuk is BPA???  ?

2017 - Glass (Mark Scheilfe) 0

2016 - Juolevi(Maata) Thought PLD would be available, after that we needed D 0

2015 - Barzal was long gone so I had no one in mind at 23.  I remembered hearing about him when he was 15. 0

2014 - Virtanen(Perry) 1

2013 - Horvat(Bergeron) 2

3/12

I adjusted the scoring, if they haven't played a game yet then they shouldn't be worth anything.  Horvat still has a bit to go to reach first line center. 

Hindsight, well there appear to be some honest answers in this so;

2014 - Ehlers, I went for the skill for replacing the Sedins, we had the Kessler replacement, Horvat and I don't like taking injured players, Virtanen

2015 - BPA - by consensus of 12 lists Boeser was listed at an average #25

2016 - BPA - Tkachuk - tough winger to play with Horvat

2017 - BPA - Cody Glass, I would have gone for the size, honestly would have missed Pettersson

2018 - BPA - In order - Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Tkachuk/Bouchard at #4 maybe Bouchard.

Of course IF, IF, Groot was still here that would make a difference in this draft if picking at #4.

The other thing here is also if these guys were drafted the following drafts would have been different because the team would be different in the standings, Ehlers and Tkachuk would have added quite a few more wins.

IMO if drafting in the top 4 for most drafts, take the BPA, size and consistently higher scorer. Needs change or should with each draft, 1rst runders would see the 9 games in the NHL to determine "where they are".

Open to different options but really wanted PLD. Nylander looked good also. This is a deep draft so unless JB has a player dialed in be willing to drop down to the 8-10 range. Otherwise I think Tkachuk at 6 ft 3 and around 200lbs is a safe bet and size we need IMO. (You never know, the Russian could drop, because, well, he`s Russian).

2017: G. Vilardi - 3 - My big three were Vilardi, Glass, and Mittelstadt, in that order.

2016: M. Tkachuk - 3 - I didn't have strong opinions here. I was really hoping for Dubois, but we didn't get the chance and I had no backups that I was really hopeful for, but I did assume we would pick Tkachuk if Dubois and Puljujarvi were gone.

2015: J. Roy - 0 - I wanted a puck-moving defenseman to fill our void on the back end. Hasn't played any NHL games, but he's a defenseman; he's still developing in the AHL and could turn out okay. 

2014: J. Virtanen - 1 - Wanted the big, fast, BC Boy who was a sniper.

Total 7 - Adam Boqvist - Things haven't changed much since 2015--we still need defensemen.

2014 - was heavily on the ehlers train --> 3

2015 - remember wanting  Kylington, ill take that L --> 0

2016 - sergachev without any doubt --> 3 ( side note im extatic about the Juolevi pick )

2017 - EP so that him and Dahlen could stay together (never expected him to blow up like he did though) --> 3

2018 - Praying for Dahlin, happy with Boqvist or Bouchard!

Total --> 9

Fun side note, in 2013, i was really hoping we would pick Nichuskin - who was said one day on TSN to be next Malkin-  and when we traded Schneider for just a high pick, i was freaking out and happy as can be. In hindsight I think i've gotten better at armchair drafting over the years, seeing as how our current core is Boeser and Bo. 

Archived