The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL GM meetings wrap: Vegas to be spared from a Seattle draft

Some interesting news:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-gm-meetings-wrap-vegas-spared-seattle-draft/

Vegas off the hook in possible Seattle draft

The GMs were informed that any potential future Seattle expansion draft will be conducted under the same conditions as Vegas, and there’s an interesting caveat: The Golden Knights aren’t likely to be part of the Seattle process at all, according to a source.

There’s no reason to expect them to be put in position to lose a player because they’re not going to be sharing in the $650-million fee the Oak View Group will be asked to pay if/when the NHL accepts its expansion application. That was part of the deal the league struck with Golden Knights owner Bill Foley when he was granted the 31st franchise.

I wonder depending on which players they could protect if they would rather give up a player (example Sbisa) in the expansion draft and take their proportion of Seattle's Expansion fee (est $21.6 million) to offset some of their own fee?

...the NHL is set to introduce new odds for next month’s draft lottery.

Pending NHLPA approval, GMs were told that the last-place finisher will now have an 18.5 per cent chance of landing the No. 1 pick – up from 18 per cent last year (when Vegas was introduced), but down from the 20 per cent chance the Toronto Maple Leafs enjoyed after finishing last in the 2015-16 season.

Woohoo! .5% better chance of winning the lotto if we come last. 

Nothing wrong with LTIR

Despite concerns raised by managers about how the long-term injured reserve provision was used by the Maple Leafs with Joffrey Lupul and Nikita Soshnikov, and Chicago with Marian Hossa, the NHL remains confident that the spirit of the collective bargaining agreement is being followed.

“We have the right to have an independent medical examination and we use that right liberally,” said deputy commissioner Bill Daly. “We’ve never had an issue confirming the condition.”

Lupul (back) and Hossa (skin condition) were each subjected to third-party medicals after failing physicals with their teams at the outset of training camp.

What ailments can Luongo come up with?

Potential record cap increase could be coming

Any GM facing a cap crunch left the Boca Beach Club feeling a little better about his situation. The NHL is projecting that the upper limit of next year’s salary cap will fall between $78 million and $82 million.

That’s a nice jump from the $75 million in effect this season.

More money for benning to sign free agents? oh noes!

If there was any doubt that the league conducts shady business...

That was part of the deal the league struck with Golden Knights owner Bill Foley when he was granted the 31st franchise.

Because it's completely fair to allow one team to not abide by the rules. :rolleyes:

23 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

If there was any doubt that the league conducts shady business...

Because it's completely fair to allow one team to not abide by the rules. :rolleyes:

In this case, I think the Knights would rather not be an exception. They are foregoing 20 million dollars.

It was more the case of the 30 owners being greedy.

In this case,I for one think we should absolutely stack Utica with all our rookies until the Seattle draft is over,then slowly bring the kids up to the NHL.

That is not shady at all, like it seems this deal is.

Vegas once again gets the league sweetheart deal,that to my knowledge no other franchise in history has been given.

UNFAIR! They are an NHL team so should have the same "penalties" as every other team when it comes to leaving some players unprotected. They're already the best team in the league (almost), and have a plethora of draft picks and prospects. The rich get richer.

I don't get what the fuss is about.  There's precedence here.  When the BJs and Wild entered the NHL, the Predators and Thrashers were exempt as the two newest franchises.  So this isn't something new the NHL is pulling just for Vegas.

1 hour ago, goalie13 said:

I don't get what the fuss is about.  There's precedence here.  When the BJs and Wild entered the NHL, the Predators and Thrashers were exempt as the two newest franchises.  So this isn't something new the NHL is pulling just for Vegas.

Exactly.  It has happened more than once, nothing to see here.  I wonder if it will also be like previous cases with expansions so close to each other, where teams that lost a goalie in the first expansion draft are exempt (or have the option to be exempt) from losing one in the second.

7 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Exactly.  It has happened more than once, nothing to see here.  I wonder if it will also be like previous cases with expansions so close to each other, where teams that lost a goalie in the first expansion draft are exempt (or have the option to be exempt) from losing one in the second.

Good call.  I'm sure Pittsburgh, Colorado and the Islanders would be in favour of that.

Just more evidence that the Knights will be Stanley Cup champs this year.  Give them the Cup through their sweetheart expansion deal, and then protect them from falling apart too quickly so that the desert expansion policies of Buttman look good.  Otherwise, how else could they expand to Mexico, the next big hockey hotbed in Buttman's mind ... I'm kidding ... I hope ... and, just as a side note, I have never been a fan of using spellcheck, but using my wife's smartphone and having Bettman turn into Buttman has been very satisfying, especially after hearing this news!        

A cap of 82 mill.lol. 

The poor teams will not be able to compete for top players just like in the 90’s  which was the part of reasoning for a salary cap. 

So team that finish low draft high will once again become farm teams for the rich when those players become ufa eligible.

not suprise with Vegas.

draft lottery is a joke and moving the odds up by .5 of a percent is idiotic.

nhl believes ltir is being used properly because it being used improperly by two of it pets. So again no suprise.

Two things I see out of this:

1) That is one less team to pick over the pieces that each team will leave out there...maybe a way to get rid of Eriksson's contract.

2) That much more room under the cap to absorb waiving Eriksson, without having to worry as much about the $$ being absorbed.

Couple of win-win scenarios to me!

I think it's a fair compromise, their entire franchise was contingent on them agreeing that they would not receive any of the 650 million dollar expansion fee by a Seattle franchise. No one had any clue what type of team Las Vegas would end up being, certainly no one expected them to be as good as they have been; the fact they are doing as well as they are and the outcome of this decision are purely coincidental, and not at all indicative of any kind of back room dealing or collusion. Like another poster said above, Foley would much rather have that 21 million expansion fee vs not having to give up a player in expansion.

I'm okay with the cap going up, but I will not feel sorry for the league if they try and be dicks leading up to the next CBA. If the cap keeps going up, the revenues are going up and the players should be getting their cut and less escrow.

18,18.5 and 20% are not at all much different, either way I am not holding my breath that the Canucks don't get moved down and lose the lottery. For a purely "statistical" process, the draft lottery has sure had an awful lot of statistical anomalies and deviations from what is expected to occur.

Archived