The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Talon forced to move Second-round pick Adam Mascherin (won't sign with Panthers before draft)

25 minutes ago, cdubuya said:

agree with your sentiment. I don't know the rule all too well other than the general gist, but it really doesn't seem like that tricky a loophole to close so as to keep everything fair for both parties. Think its a damn shame that Fla can lose a 2016 38th overall that quickly (with no compensation) just cause he won't sign a contract.

The compensation if he doesn't sign with Florida is a 2nd round pick. It is still a bad deal for Florida. Imagine if Boeser didn't sign with us and all we got was a 2nd round pick.

2 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

The compensation if he doesn't sign with Florida is a 2nd round pick. It is still a bad deal for Florida. Imagine if Boeser didn't sign with us and all we got was a 2nd round pick.

Look at the positives....

Without that compensation in place, there's no way Gillis would've got Ehrhoff from the Sharks for 1st round bust Patrick White (edit:  also added poorly tracking D prospect Rahimi).

4 hours ago, shiznak said:

I was hoping Benning would have drafted him a few years back, but unfortunately we didn't have a second round pick that year. 

I'd be willing to do Hutton for Mascherin, straight up or Bärtschi for Mascherin and a 3rd.

Two proven NHL players, for a tiny guy who may never make it, and refuses to sign with the team that drafted him.  

Wow.    Just wow.  

I'd send them a 3-4 pick.  Maybe.  

I prob wouldn't even do that.  

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Unless there's a verbal agreement by his agent that he'd sign for sure i wouldn't waste a pick on him. We might be able to get him for free anyway. 

He will be drafted so you will have to use a pick on him one way or another. Will be interesting to see where he goes in the draft. 

13 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

There is no compensation. You only get compensation for 1st round picks and the pick that you get is 30 picks (31 I am guessing now, with Vegas) after the original draft pick. So if you don't sign a 8th overall prospect, you would get the 39th pick in the upcoming draft. 

8 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Two proven NHL players, for a tiny guy who may never make it, and refuses to sign with the team that drafted him.  

Wow.    Just wow.  

I'd send them a 3-4 pick.  Maybe.  

I prob wouldn't even do that.  

If we had an extra one of those picks - I'd be more inclined to do it (though 'still on the fence' because of the reasons you stated).

1 minute ago, Toews said:

He will be drafted so you will have to use a pick on him one way or another. Will be interesting to see where he goes in the draft. 

true but I wouldn't want Jim to waste one on a guy that will just wait to go back to the draft anyway. I'm sure his agent could give a firm enough indication if this was a place he wanted to play. I'd prefer D in the 2nd round anyway tbh. 

I guess he must really not want to go to Florida since he has no control over where he'll end up in the next draft. 

2 minutes ago, Toews said:

There is no compensation. You only get compensation for 1st round picks and the pick that you get is 30 picks (31 I am guessing now, with Vegas) after the original draft pick. So if you don't sign a 8th overall prospect, you would get the 39th pick in the upcoming draft. 

You also have to make an effort to sign said player. (at least I think....) to be eligible for that compensatory pick.

20 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

That's not what the rule is. They can just sign with any team they want when they haven't been signed after 3 years of being drafted. Regardless of whether it was because of them or the team that drafted them. If they don't want to play with the team that drafted them they need to re-enter the draft. Currently the team that drafted them just gets compensated with a 2nd round pick.

That doesn't sound quite right, your statement kind of contradicts itself.  I agree that if the player doesn't sign in two years he goes back in the draft, but I have never heard anything about being UFA after 3 years.

If the player doesn't get drafted after re-entering the draft, then sure, he would be UFA.  But if he does get drafted after re-entering the draft, doesn't that team also get two years to sign the player?  And if they can't sign him either, then he becomes UFA?

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I actually agree with the rule in place.  The purpose of it is to give kids a chance to find other options if the team that drafts them decides not to signed them to an entry level contract.  This is typically for late round picks, for example, Kyle Pettit or Tate Olson Canucks 6th and 7throunder’s who we drafted and never gave a contract to.  The rule gives them options to still potentially find a path to the NHL, without that rule, their NHL career is over.   

John Gilmour was a 7th round pick for the flames in 2013.  In 2016, the flames decided not to offer him contract due to them being at the contract limit and not seeing a future in him.  The rule allowed him to see other options in which the Rangers gave him an offer.  Two years later he’s in the NHL.  

What I don’t agree with is the kids using this as a loophole to choose to where they want to play.   

I suggested a rule against college draftees waiting it out to free agency but it would also cover any drafted player. It would be something like a qualifying offer in a sense that if you don't offer one to a rfa you lose their rights. What should make draft rights any different.

Entry level contracts are capped anyways so make the "qualifying offer" a max salary entry deal with certain mandatory performance targets (awards, games, points). If that team submits that offer and the player refuses he becomes an RFA and at the end of his draft right window he is free to negotiate with any other team. However under the rules of the CBA the original team will receive compensation.

Its getting to be a bit much these days.

16 minutes ago, Toews said:

still its pretty pathetic if that player is someone like Boeser.

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

true but I wouldn't want Jim to waste one on a guy that will just wait to go back to the draft anyway. I'm sure his agent could give a firm enough indication if this was a place he wanted to play. I'd prefer D in the 2nd round anyway tbh. 

I guess he must really not want to go to Florida since he has no control over where he'll end up in the next draft. 

This reminds me that the Sens once drafted a player who refused to sign with the team and the Sens drafted him again in another draft. He never panned out, waste of two draft picks. 

Its not surprising to see fans echo the sentiment that if a team invests a draft pick in a player, that player is somehow beholden to that organization. Somehow the same standard doesn't apply to an organization where they can draft you but discard you at any moment when you don't live up to their expectations or say suffer a serious injury. Mascherin had a good season last year but it appears to me that Florida decided to wait it out regarding his injury and see if it was an issue before they gave him an ELC and it has cost them. I wonder if they rolled the dice on Mascherin in order to save some money.

3 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

That doesn't sound quite right, your statement kind of contradicts itself.  I agree that if the player doesn't sign in two years he goes back in the draft, but I have never heard anything about being UFA after 3 years.

If the player doesn't get drafted after re-entering the draft, then sure, he would be UFA.  But if he does get drafted after re-entering the draft, doesn't that team also get two years to sign the player?  And if they can't sign him either, then he becomes UFA?

You've 3 years to sign a player that you've drafted. If he doesn't sign then after 3 years he can sign an entry-level deal with any team. You're not technically a UFA. You still need to be an RFA on your new team and be signed to an entry-level deal but you can sign wherever you want.

2 minutes ago, Toews said:

This reminds me that the Sens once drafted a player who refused to sign with the team and the Sens drafted him again in another draft. He never panned out, waste of two draft picks. 

Its not surprising to see fans echo the sentiment that if a team invests a draft pick in a player, that player is somehow beholden to that organization. Somehow the same standard doesn't apply to an organization where they can draft you but discard you at any moment when you don't live up to their expectations or say suffer a serious injury. Mascherin had a good season last year but it appears to me that Florida decided to wait it out regarding his injury and see if it was an issue before they gave him an ELC and it has cost them. I wonder if they rolled the dice on Mascherin in order to save some money.

was that a 'grudge pick'? weird that they'd pick him again.

I don't have a problem with a player exercising his rights. Sure it sucks for the team and fanbase, but them's the rules. I can imagine the hatred if Guadette went back for another year and hit free agency but its his right to do so if he wants to, just like this kid. Thats why I think its really important to have guys like Benning that know how to treat young prospects and their families properly, Boeser and his family mentioned several times that they appreciated Bennings approach with them. Hopefully that goes the same way with Gaudette and guys like Rathbone. 

2 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

still its pretty pathetic if that player is someone like Boeser.

Blake wheeler played that game with Phoenix. They drafted him 5th overall in 2004, he refused to sign and became a ufa. Boston got him for free and the coyotes got a meesly 35th overall.

1 minute ago, peaches5 said:

You've 3 years to sign a player that you've drafted. If he doesn't sign then after 3 years he can sign an entry-level deal with any team. You're not technically a UFA. You still need to be an RFA on your new team and be signed to an entry-level deal but you can sign wherever you want.

That makes no sense.

You have two years to sign a player you have drafted.  If he doesn't sign within two years he is eligible to re-enter the draft.  There is no three year rule.

Just now, goalie13 said:

That makes no sense.

You have two years to sign a player you have drafted.  If he doesn't sign within two years he is eligible to re-enter the draft.  There is no three year rule.

what are you talking about? the college players do not re-enter the draft..

Archived