The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Talon forced to move Second-round pick Adam Mascherin (won't sign with Panthers before draft)

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

was that a 'grudge pick'? weird that they'd pick him again.'

Yup grudge pick is everyone's guess.

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't have a problem with a player exercising his rights. Sure it sucks for the team and fanbase, but them's the rules. I can imagine the hatred if Guadette went back for another year and hit free agency but its his right to do so if he wants to, just like this kid. Thats why I think its really important to have guys like Benning that know how to treat young prospects and their families properly, Boeser and his family mentioned several times that they appreciated Bennings approach with them. Hopefully that goes the same way with Gaudette and guys like Rathbone. 

Pretty much. At the end of the day these guys have a talent and the teams are in it for their own selfish reasons so a player has to look out for his interests too. If there was some bad blood or resentment there then obviously that is not an organization where you want to start off your career. Also considering everything I have heard about Florida and especially with how unceremoniously they fired Gallant. Zach Hyman is another player who refused to sign with them. Something doesn't feel right with Florida. 

4 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

That makes no sense.

You have two years to sign a player you have drafted.  If he doesn't sign within two years he is eligible to re-enter the draft.  There is no three year rule.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/nhl-doesn-t-have-an-ncaa-loophole-problem-it-s-just-business-as-usual

As the clock struck midnight on Aug. 15, a number of ex-college players became unrestricted free agents. Will Butcher, Blaine Byron and Alex Kerfoot had all been drafted by NHL teams, but decided not to sign with those franchises right away. That gave them the chance to be courted by every other team in the league.

It’s a pretty sweet deal if you think about it: all three got four-year educations (Kerfoot at Harvard, no less) and now they get to choose where they begin their pro careers. Jimmy Vesey did this before when he spurned Nashville for the New York Rangers, as did Kevin Hayes, who also joined New York even though Chicago drafted his rights.

Because of players like Vesey and Hayes, there are fans out there who believe the NHL has an NCAA “loophole” problem. The CBA states that college players can wait out their draft teams, so no one is doing anything wrong here – at least by the letter of the law. But is it really that big a problem?

I looked at the first two rounds of three recent drafts (2010-12) to see how many college-bound players signed with the teams that drafted them. I did not count players who were supposed to go NCAA but switched to junior, but those players (Jack Campbell, Jarred Tinordi, etc.) signed with their draft teams anyway. The result? There were 38 kids that signed with their draft teams and two – Hayes and Samuel Kurker (St. Louis) – that did not.

Now, it’s important to note that Butcher, Byron and Kerfoot were all late-round picks, which adds some complexity to the situation. Obviously they were projects when they were drafted and it is tough for the Avalanche, Penguins and Devils to watch these kids grow into potential pro talents for years without reaping the rewards.

On the other hand, players from major junior or Europe go through this all the time as well. Sometimes it’s player-based, like when goalie Frederik Andersen spurned Carolina, prompting him to be re-drafted by Anaheim two years later. Sometimes it’s team-based, like when Colorado punted on 2014 first-rounder Conner Bleackley, allowing St. Louis to draft the young center again in 2016 (Jarret Stoll was also drafted twice – Calgary to Edmonton!). And for those of you who think the Rangers get everyone, they actually lost defenseman Ryan Mantha to free agency when the OHLer signed with Edmonton after failing to come to terms with New York.

I’m not sure why the NCAA cases get more press, but here we are. I would speculate that it being mid-August, with nothing going on in the hockey world, plays a role, but we’ve also been talking about Butcher for months (national championships and last-place clubs will do that). Perhaps it’s because the level of competition in the NCAA dictates that younger players have a tougher time racking up points, compared to major junior, so the spotlight doesn’t shine on a player such as Butcher until he truly breaks through, as the Denver defenseman did in his junior campaign.

And hey: sometimes you just lose a guy. Hockey is a business and plenty of teams have mercilessly cut or waived players due to age or durability or any other number of reasons. There can be only some hurt feelings here.

Some teams have made sure they got their NCAA gems by going the extra mile. The Calgary Flames, for example, whisked Johnny Gaudreau off to the NHL in a private jet as soon as his Boston College career ended. Heck, they even signed his buddy Bill Arnold and got him on the plane, too. I’m not saying the Devils failed with Kerfoot – and we know Nashville did all they could before reluctantly trading Vesey’s rights to Buffalo (sorry, Sabres) – but I am saying that nearly every situation is different and various outcomes should be expected.

So don’t be afraid of your team’s NCAA prospects. Despite what the headlines may tell you, those kids almost always report – just like other hockey players.

4 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

what are you talking about? the college players do not re-enter the draft..

Who said anything about college?  This thread is about a kid who plays for the Kitchener Rangers.  Last time I checked, that's not a college.

A lot of strong opinions from people who obviously didn't read the article. He's not a college player, he will have to re-enter the draft, and there is no compensation for the Panthers if he does.

I have no problem with Mascherin exercising his rights. If something doesn't sit well about an organization, you don't have to pledge yourself to it for the next 7 years. Florida could have signed him earlier.

5 hours ago, Monty said:

Gotta love it when a prospect leaves an organization after they’ve spent hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in scouting that player, bringing him into the camps, meeting with management, coaches, and trainers.

What a stand up guy.

What I don't understand is if the player doesn't want to play for the team then why do an interview with them? I'm pretty sure all 1st/2nd round picks are interviewed beforehand. 

Just now, Xbox said:

What I don't understand is if the player doesn't want to play for the team then why do an interview with them? I'm pretty sure all 1st/2nd round picks are interviewed beforehand. 

A lot has happened in Florida since that draft.

3 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I actually agree with the rule in place.  The purpose of it is to give kids a chance to find other options if the team that drafts them decides not to signed them to an entry level contract.  This is typically for late round picks, for example, Kyle Pettit or Tate Olson Canucks 6th and 7throunder’s who we drafted and never gave a contract to.  The rule gives them options to still potentially find a path to the NHL, without that rule, their NHL career is over.   

John Gilmour was a 7th round pick for the flames in 2013.  In 2016, the flames decided not to offer him contract due to them being at the contract limit and not seeing a future in him.  The rule allowed him to see other options in which the Rangers gave him an offer.  Two years later he’s in the NHL.  

What I don’t agree with is the kids using this as a loophole to choose to where they want to play.   

I concur. 

4 minutes ago, D-Money said:

A lot has happened in Florida since that draft.

Was Gallant the coach at the time? That's all I can think of really. Mascherin goes from wanting to play for the Panthers to wanting nothing to do with them even if it ruins his image.

43 minutes ago, Xbox said:

Was Gallant the coach at the time? That's all I can think of really. Mascherin goes from wanting to play for the Panthers to wanting nothing to do with them even if it ruins his image.

Well, Florida has a lot of forward prospects coming up, including Heponiemi, Borgstrom, Tippett, Hawryluk, Ang. They also just traded for Vatrano. And they have a number of young cornerstones already in place up front, including Barkov, Huberdeau, and Trocheck. 

Florida may be one of the hardest teams for a prospect like Mascherin to crack in the entire league. So I can easily see him thinking it would be better for his career to go almost anywhere else.

4 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Two proven NHL players, for a tiny guy who may never make it, and refuses to sign with the team that drafted him.  

Wow.    Just wow.  

I'd send them a 3-4 pick.  Maybe.  

I prob wouldn't even do that.  

Hutton being proven, at what, being a healthy scratch? The fact that he can barely crack a team that sits in second last in the standing, should give you an understanding that his value has fallen.

Bärstchi is a flash-in-pan. There's already too many players alike him on this team. On top of that, he's a RFA after this season, which make him sorta expendable. 

3 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Hutton being proven, at what, being a healthy scratch? The fact that he can barely crack a team that sits in second last in the standing, should give you an understanding that his value has fallen.

Bärstchi is a flash-in-pan. There's already too many players alike him on this team. On top of that, he's a RFA after this season, which make him sorta expendable. 

Hutton has had a garbage season. Yup.  

His value has dropped.  Sure. 

But to the point of only being worth a hope and dream prospect,  nope.  

And Baer,  are you nuts?  Hahah

so because he is a little redundant on this team means he has zero value?

im very glad you don't run this team.  

He will resign and continue to be in our top 6.

You don't trade top 6 players for a shrimp kid that has a good chance of not even working out

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

Well, Florida has a lot of forward prospects coming up, including Heponiemi, Borgstrom, Tippett, Hawryluk, Ang. They also just traded for Vatrano. And they have a number of young cornerstones already in place up front, including Barkov, Huberdeau, and Trocheck. 

Florida may be one of the hardest teams for a prospect like Mascherin to crack in the entire league. So I can easily see him thinking it would be better for his career to go almost anywhere else.

That's a very good point. He probably doesn't want to be buried in the AHL.

3 hours ago, D-Money said:

A lot of strong opinions from people who obviously didn't read the article. He's not a college player, he will have to re-enter the draft, and there is no compensation for the Panthers if he does.

I have no problem with Mascherin exercising his rights. If something doesn't sit well about an organization, you don't have to pledge yourself to it for the next 7 years. Florida could have signed him earlier.

I am close family/ friend of a high 2nd round pick a few years back.

Have Heard nightmare stories of bad handling/mismanagement at sub-NHL levels.

If a kid has a rare opportunity to check out of an uncomfortable situation and into one that he thinks could be better, he should take that rare opportunity when he can.

18 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Hutton has had a garbage season. Yup.  

His value has dropped.  Sure. 

But to the point of only being worth a hope and dream prospect,  nope.  

And Baer,  are you nuts?  Hahah

so because he is a little redundant on this team means he has zero value?

im very glad you don't run this team.  

He will resign and continue to be in our top 6.

You don't trade top 6 players for a shrimp kid that has a good chance of not even working out

Hutton has had two subpar seasons. The only glimmering hope is he's still at the age where he can hopefully get it together, maybe somewhere else. His trade value is next to nothing.

Again, Bärtschi is set to become a RFA, and will probably be paid than more than what he should be (3-3.5). We gave up a 2nd round pick for him. So, Mascherin and a 3rd, isn't too far off from that value.

10 hours ago, Monty said:

Gotta love it when a prospect leaves an organization after they’ve spent hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in scouting that player, bringing him into the camps, meeting with management, coaches, and trainers.

What a stand up guy.

Would you work for some company you don't want to be a part of just because they've spend a ton of time and money trying to entice you?

Players don't owe organizations anything.

Archived