The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

VIDEO: With 9 games left, it's time for the younger players to step their game up

Canuck Clay

Good job Clay.

I like that you talk to each player directly...imagine if any of them see this! Do you think any ever will?

I hope that of the ten roster spots you mentioned some are traded creating more spots for the likes of Pettersson, Gaudette, Dahlen and the five (six) you called out (as well as any young signings or generational draft picks :rolleyes: that come along in the meantime). I am probably wishing for too much. 

Maybe Goldobin and Boucher have plateaued? Maybe there is too much expectation on them? AHL lifers maybe?Maybe they will always just sort of suck?Too bad. I had higher hopes for them. Their name plates on their lockers should be written on masking tape. 

8 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Goldy is a minus magnet. 

I don’t think he can change it either.

I'm rather disappointed in his play. He had a good offensive game against Chicago but to me he's been squandering a golden opportunity with all these injuries. We'll see if he can build on the Chicago game.

8 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I’m not sure Motte brings anything, at his size, worth saving a roster spot for.

Not when Granny, Baer, Leipsic, Goldy, Sedins and whoever else is already smurfy. 

Jake has been stepping it up. He has. He is projecting well. 

6'1" & 6'2" is smurfy? lol

Jake's two way game has shown improvement this season. His wildly unpredictable passing is concerning though. Like Goldy, he hasn't managed to seize the offensive opportunity all the injuries have created. Overall I'm still rather disappointed in his game.

I agree Motte hasn't done much to warrant a return next year.

Nice video but can you do less repetition and be more concise. We all got where you were going after a couple of minutes in. 

I agree with what you were saying, especially about Goldobin.

Not sure about Motte or Leipsic though as they are imo too small  - maybe there is hope for Leipsic if he passes more but I feel Motte belongs in Utica from what I've seen.

I cant't fault either on effort but we need to up the skill level combined with size on this team going forward.

Boucher is a bust imo. He is a player who will earn his crust in the AHL.

13 hours ago, 6string said:

Coach Green baffles me at times, we'll see how he invests into the future to close out the season.

???? Isn't having a top line of Virtanen, Horvat and Goldy something that is an investment?    At 22, 22 and 21 that would be one of the youngest lines anywhere in the NHL as a top line.

13 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Goldy is a minus magnet. 

I don’t think he can change it either. 

PS

Gutsy post.

So he was a plus player last night (and a second or two away from an additional plus with a change), had two nice assists and was pretty dynamic all night.

Perhaps you need to post more negative stuff about him to get him going.   Well done.

PS - your new avatar, did you ask her parents first or are you keeping it quiet for now :P

Interesting comments.  I think Goldy would do better on a more solid team where his lapses in defense would be compensated with better defensive play by those around him. I have liked Jake and Lipsticks play.  Like Rob Zepp has said over in Jake Virtanenès thread, his physical game has steadily gotten better and most of the other parts of his game have improved as well.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

So he was a plus player last night (and a second or two away from an additional plus with a change), had two nice assists and was pretty dynamic all night.

Perhaps you need to post more negative stuff about him to get him going.   Well done.

PS - your new avatar, did you ask her parents first or are you keeping it quiet for now :P

There was just something about having a teenage boy for the Avatar, if that’s what it’s called, that made me feel awkward. 

It wasn’t as not as bad as a Hutton winking at you or anything, though. 

15 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I’m not sure Motte brings anything, at his size, worth saving a roster spot for.

Not when Granny, Baer, Leipsic, Goldy, Sedins and whoever else is already smurfy. 

Only Motte and Leipsic are smurfy the other guys you listed are normal height and weight in the NHL they just aren't physical. I think they need to start scratching Motte i think i saw somewhere he needs to play 16 more games to be a waiver player. I think that they cut him off to be able to send him to Utica waiver free next season. 

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

???? Isn't having a top line of Virtanen, Horvat and Goldy something that is an investment?    At 22, 22 and 21 that would be one of the youngest lines anywhere in the NHL as a top line.

...and when was that actually assembled as a line, be date specific?

16 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

As far as our young guys go:  Motte is AHL depth.  Leipsic is Burrows/Dorsett incarnate.  Jake is full time NHLer, probably 3rd liner.  Goldobin is probably going to be traded.  Boucher is career AHLer.  I can see Granlund sticking for another 2 years.  Baertschi is trade bait.  Hutton is done here.  Stecher is going to get a 4ish year deal.

2 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

There was just something about having a teenage boy for the Avatar, if that’s what it’s called, that made me feel awkward. 

It wasn’t as not as bad as a Hutton winking at you or anything, though. 

Good point, I get that.   My dig was purely in jest as I know you are labeling the Canucks as "Leipsic on a pig" so I was merely having fun with you, I am pleased you took it that way.   In fact, I have been impressed how you always seem to take things quite well and don't mind some banter.   Well done.

Yup, I also find Hutton winking at me a tad creepy and am sure that is why it is there.   Not quite as creepy as that cartoon where rats are eating someone signature block that is used but creepy nonetheless.

The only avatars I find really annoying, and that is why the posters choose them, is of players they know troll the Canuck fanbase and then they choose a name that does the same and then continually slam the Canucks and their prospects and "act" like they are a true fan.   Gimme a friggin' break.   I KNOW you are a fan.   A very frustrated one and one that I disagree about the future of your team but I always enjoy your passion.

Cheers.   ::D

23 minutes ago, xereau said:

As far as our young guys go:  Motte is AHL depth.  Leipsic is Burrows/Dorsett incarnate.  Jake is full time NHLer, probably 3rd liner.  Goldobin is probably going to be traded.  Boucher is career AHLer.  I can see Granlund sticking for another 2 years.  Baertschi is trade bait.  Hutton is done here.  Stecher is going to get a 4ish year deal.

Why don't you include Horvat at 22 as a "young guy"?   Further, Baer has more to offer this team in my opinion but he has to stop getting hit by pucks and having freak injuries ala Salo (that separated shoulder was a freak play).   I also think Virtanen is a top 6 when all is said and done.   Having him on the ice for 18ish minutes at his current hits/60 would be brilliant and he can skate well enough to play with anyone in the league.   He has some work to do on polish with the puck but has demonstrated he has that skill and simply needs to go back to it as he continues to grow as a player.

46 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

Good topic

I would like Green play more of Jake, Goldy, Liepsic and Motte. They are our futures.

If possible, bring Patterson, Dahlen , OJ and Gaudette for getting some NHL experience.

Well, EP, Dahlen, OJ and Gaudette are all still in the middle of playoffs and most of them are likely in for deep runs so, at best, perhaps one becomes available for perhaps a game or two - not really a worthwhile situation.

Not entirely sure past Jake that the other three are your "future" but you need to give as many player auditions as you can and see what sticks.

Archived