The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Draft Poll (discussion)

Who do the Canucks pick in the following draft positions  

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

35 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Ya, the team already has 4 dmen under 6'

I kind of get loading up with the best Swedes we can get (Dahlin, Boqvist) given it could help with Pettersson, Dahlen, the Sedins (for now) and Edler available to help mentor and ease the transition.  But at some point we need to draft some larger bodies to play key roles, that's why I have BT as number three after the top two, the Bouchard at four.  Zadina would be fine too.    We already have one pint sized guy in Stetcher, if we go for an organizational need than I hope we avoid Hughes and Boqvist too.  I'd rather have Dobson, he will add some weight to go alone with his already elite skating for a bean pole, and be hard to play against.  I'm not gonna lose it if we do draft an undersized defenseman either, if he can run a pp and avoid the infirmary we'd be ahead in the long run.  

I'm torn with picking a defenseman even if we get the second pick, it would be lights out if we had LW Svecknikov playing with Boeser and Horvat.  Two snipers and a bulldog two way center...nice.  I think Pettersson and Dahlen will become the new Sedins within two or three years...That appears to be the plan anyways, hard to pass up on locking up two scoring lines, but we won't get a number one defenseman that can grow with our core unless we draft one.  Both have merits.

If we are lucky we could get a gem with our second pick too.  Last year Valardi who was a consensus top five (3) slipped to LA at I think 11, the year before Chychrun also slipped and McAvoy was picked late too.  Given we could end up DFL, our second won't be much different than Tampa or Vegas or whomever gets to the finals first.  

I hope Benning doesn't get off the phone until he can find a new home for Tanev, and use that to snatch a high end defenseman prospect and an extra draft pick (s) too this year.  Time to move on, select someone who can play right away and have Juolevi on the wings to come up as an injury replacement (AHL).  

Please take this with a grain of salt.  This list will likely change as we edge closer to the draft. I will need to see the team orders before finalizing my list.  Here is my start tho!  

Revised List:

1 ) Rasmus DAHLIN
2 ) Adam BOQVIST
3 ) Phillip ZADINA
4 ) Andrei SVECHNIKOV
5 ) Quinn HUGHES
6 ) Brady TKACHUK
7 ) Evan BOUCHARD

8 ) Oliver WAHLSTROM

9) Noah DOBSON

14 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Hey everyone

So here is my question

So who do the Canucks take in everyone of the top 5 positions? I would really like top 7, but the poll would only allow me 5 questions. You can put all 7 down if you would like.

My take is today, it is still possible that we could be in any of the first 7 picks (realistically) Mathematically it is more....but lets be real!

This will involve, who you think will be gone, and who you will pick from the remaining prospects........

I am going to try and do a poll on it too...so be patient, please.............

Just remember, there is a rumour out there that the Canucks would not have taken Hischier or Patrick at 1 or 2...........So maybe 2 and 3 are not so automatic

benning said, that had makar been available, they would have had a hard time making their choice. 

If I were the Canucks GM. Which I am sure many of you are glad I am not lol. 

I would Consider at:

1st Overall: Dahlin (I think Boqvist might be worth taking over Dahlin.  Dahlin has moves and is bigger yes.  Feel Boqvist could be the more dynamic long term. Dahlin likely is the better all-around defender)

2nd Overall: Boqvist

3rd Overall: Zadlina

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sportsnets-2018-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-march/

The glass is half full my friends....5 of this years’ top 10  are defensemen, most of whom can create offense. The only reason we won’t get one is if we draft 2nd or 3rd, and simply cannot pass on a dynamic scoring right winger, which would instantly add 2nd line scoring. 

Either way, one of our most pressing needs gets met this season. 

Remember, statistically we can expect to be bumped 2 spots, so (if that happens) it will be probability, not any kind of curse or bad luck. Let’s set our expectations on fourth or fifth and appreciate anything better than that is gravy. 

6 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sportsnets-2018-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-march/

The glass is half full my friends....5 of this years’ top 10  are defensemen, most of whom can create offense. The only reason we won’t get one is if we draft 2nd or 3rd, and simply cannot pass on a dynamic scoring right winger, which would instantly add 2nd line scoring. 

Either way, one of our most pressing needs gets met this season. 

Remember, statistically we can expect to be bumped 2 spots, so (if that happens) it will be probability, not any kind of curse or bad luck. Let’s set our expectations on fourth or fifth and appreciate anything better than that is gravy. 

Yeah wherever we land with our 1st we're getting something good. 

Based off that list I'll take a, "Why isn't anyone taking K'Andre Miller" moment with our 2nd, please.

I don't see how we pick Tkachuk over any of Boqvist, Hughes or Bouchard. I don't buy into the "BPA" theory in any draft outside of the top 3, there's just been too many players that if you re-did many drafts in a couple of years spots 4-10 the would change significantly. Plus Tkachuk isn't exactly lighting up the NCAA, and we need D far more than what he brings. 

On 2018-03-24 at 2:56 PM, Rush17 said:

Please take this with a grain of salt.  This list will likely change as we edge closer to the draft. I will need to see the team orders before finalizing my list.  Here is my start tho!  

Revised List:

1 ) Rasmus DAHLIN
2 ) Adam BOQVIST
3 ) Phillip ZADINA
4 ) Andrei SVECHNIKOV
5 ) Quinn HUGHES
6 ) Brady TKACHUK
7 ) Evan BOUCHARD

8 ) Oliver WAHLSTROM

9) Noah DOBSON

Nothing wrong with it.  Every site had a different take on everyone but Dahlin.  THN has BT as 3 for example, most have Svecknikov as 2.  Boqvist as low as 7, as high as 2.  All these guys have upside, this is going to be an above average draft (at least) IMO, and several of the top ten could see time in the NHL as 18 year olds.  We are going to get a good player no doubt.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Nothing wrong with it.  Every site had a different take on everyone but Dahlin.  THN has BT as 3 for example, most have Svecknikov as 2.  Boqvist as low as 7, as high as 2.  All these guys have upside, this is going to be an above average draft (at least) IMO, and several of the top ten could see time in the NHL as 18 year olds.  We are going to get a good player no doubt.

I’d say that Dhalin, Svenchikov, and Tkatchuk are NHL ready.  They will develop in the NHL.  The rest will need more junior, Euro, and AHL development.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I’d say that Dhalin, Svenchikov, and Tkatchuk are NHL ready.  They will develop in the NHL.  The rest will need more junior, Euro, and AHL development.  

What makes you say Tkachuk is NHL ready? His NCAA numbers haven't been amazing or anything.

3 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

What makes you say Tkachuk is NHL ready? His NCAA numbers haven't been amazing or anything.

Heard Button say it on the radio.  

I wouldn't draft Tkatchuk.  The talk here has me liking Svenchikov at two, and trading down if we draft three or lower.  

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Zadina too, he's got decent size and plays hard and create oddles of offense..  " He's the real deal, does everything hard, passes hard, skates hard .  You don't see natural goal-scorers like him very often anymore, but that's what he is.  He will be playing in the NHL next year." Scouts take.  THN.  Yes on BT, Svecknikov and Dahlin, probably opening night.

Bouchard and others too depending on who drafts them and how the season goes.

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Heard Button say it on the radio.  

I wouldn't draft Tkatchuk.  The talk here has me liking Svenchikov at two, and trading down if we draft three or lower.  

Honestly I think we'll draft wherever we fall. There are solid players throughout the top 10. If we're 3 I'd take Zadina. 4 then I'd take Boqvist.

4 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Honestly I think we'll draft wherever we fall. There are solid players throughout the top 10. If we're 3 I'd take Zadina. 4 then I'd take Boqvist.

I'd love to see Tanev moved to get another top 10 pick, however much of a dream that is.

Archived