The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edmonton Oilers - Are they broken?

Rob_Zepp

Would be curious to know what people think went wrong in Edmonton this year besides Talbot playing more like Talbot has historically played.    

One I will offer to get things started is their superstar captain who, IMHO, should be less focused on individual achievements and more focused on his team.   Perhaps it is a maturity thing but ANY player who talks about individual hardware as a "goal", particularly when your team has just been eliminated from playoffs, in my books is not showing the type of leadership that team needs.

McDavid driven to win Art Ross

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Who would have thought brinigng in a guy with serious character issues as "leadership" would lead to a young captain showing poor maturity?

Lucic is a huge problem there, on and off the ice.  With luck, he could be as bad there as Messier was here. 

Agreed, if they're smart they trade him away this offseason for a different bad contract.

Maybe Seabrook for Lucic or something like that.

Apart from McDavid and Draisaitl, they don't have much threat up front. Their defence still remains a problem with questionable goaltending. They would have been better off keeping Hall & Eberle and keeping their 2015 1st-round and 2nd-round picks which they ended up paying to acquire Griffin Reinhart. Imagine if the Oilers had a Hall & McDavid duo on the first line with Barzal & Eberle on their second line, but their GM has made too many bad decisions and I'm surprised he hasn't been fired yet.

I think with the success they had last season, they got cocky. Most of the players came into this season thinking that it was going to be easy. To make matters worse, certain important players underperformed including the goalie and key defencemen got injured. I guess the Oilers management should have added depth to their roster over the summer as they had little depth to withstand underperformance and injuries from their key players.  The management basically did nothing in the summer.

6 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

No D and some of the worst management I've ever seen.

Say what you want about GMJB's somewhat spotty trade record, but nothing he's done has even come close to the ineptitude of the Hall trade or the Reinhart trade.

Right forgot about the Reinhart trade. Is that the one where they gave up first round pick, which turned into Barzal?

Just one more 1st overall pick should fix it.

I mean, fire the coach again, don't draft a single player outside of the top 10 that makes the NHL again keep the same management group since 2007 and I am sure magicaly that things will happen overnight

1 minute ago, khay said:

Right forgot about the Reinhart trade. Is that the one where they gave up first round pick, which turned into Barzal?

To make matters worse, Griffin Reinhart was left exposed by the Oilers at the 2017 NHL Expansion Draft and was selected by the Golden Knights. They basically got nothing out of that trade, whereas if they had kept those picks, they could have drafted Mathew Barzal and Travis Dermott.

33 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Can you show some of these reports?  Proof that Lucic is a problem on and off the ice? 

The guy has a history of headshotting goalies, spearing guys in the balls, uttering death threats in the handshake line, and slamming an entire city for a minor bar scuffle.  You don't want a goof like that anywhere near developing players, especially not in a leadership role.  Add in the fact he's slow as hell and prone to stupid penalties due to his inability to take a clean hit like a man, and it's a recipe for disaster.

54 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Who would have thought brinigng in a guy with serious character issues as "leadership" would lead to a young captain showing poor maturity?

Lucic is a huge problem there, on and off the ice.  With luck, he could be as bad there as Messier was here. 

Lol

10 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Okay so, any legit info that points towards him being an issue on and off the ice?  Burrows did all of that stuff too, was he the source of our problems?  Was he bad in the room? 

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/lucic-to-cops-do-you-know-who-i-am

According to a police report of the incident, the Bruins [team stats] left winger was “highly intoxicated and hostile” after he and his galpal argued outside a Starbucks on Commercial Street shortly before 1:30 a.m.

Witnesses told police the 6-foot-4, 220-pound hockey player was yelling at his girlfriend, who was on the ground, and at one point threw her shoes and purse at her. However, the woman told police she was not physically assaulted and “was adamant about not being harmed,” the report states. Police “did not observe any visible injuries,” the report says, and Lucic was not charged.

As the officer continued to question Lucic, he “slammed his cell phone to the ground and yelled ‘Do you know who I am?’ ” the police report states. At which point, the officer asked for identification and Lucic produced an ID from Vancouver, Canada.

I'm not saying Lucic is definitively a bad guy, but usually good guys don't drop the "Do you know who I am?" line...

I definitely thought they would regress from last year.  Most of their top players had career years... you cant do that year after year.  Honestly I see Edmonton like Colorado the past few years. 

A couple moves to shore up their defence and a few chemistry players and bam... Talbot looks good again and they are in the playoffs.  Nurse is gong to be a beast and Mcdavid and Draisaitl are certified stars..

The big question is their management.  They need to get the right players around Mcdavid and Draisaitl.... without getting fleeced.

1 hour ago, khay said:

It was actually a 1st round pick and a 2nd round pick. The Islanders used the Oilers' 16th overall pick to take Barzal and used Edmonton's 33rd pick in a deal to move up and draft Anthony Beauvillier at number 28.

SUNRISE, Fla. -- The New York Islanders traded defenseman Griffin Reinhart to the Edmonton Oilers on Friday for the 16th and 33rd picks in the 2015 NHL Draft. The Islanders selected center Mathew Barzalfrom the Seattle Thunderbirds of the Western Hockey League with the No. 16 pick.

The Islanders, who were not scheduled to pick in the first or second rounds before making the trade, then sent the 33rd and 72nd picks to the Tampa Bay Lightning for the 28th choice. New York selected Anthony Beauvillier, a forward from the Shawinigan Cataractes of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.

Edmonton Oilers acquire Date New York Islanders acquire
Edmonton_Oilers.gif Griffin Reinhart
June 26, 2015
2015 1st round pick
2015 2nd round pick 

Archived