The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Sabres sign Mittelstadt

Hopefully he has success, more than just helping Buffalo win more than us. I am not really in the mindset of wishing failure on people, unless they are scumbags or something. Best of luck to him. Liking some of Buffalo's youngsters. Still keeping tabs on Reinhart cause I like him too.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

This guy seems like he has a very big BUSTAROO sign all over him.  

Actually no - he has elite offensive scoring potential all over him.

His recent standout performance at the WJC only confirms this. 

I'm no fan of the Sabres franchise but this kid's going to be good. 

20 minutes ago, PlanB said:

His numbers with UofM this year weren’t all that outstanding but if I’m not mistaken it wasn’t a very good team. He was awesome at the WJC though. 

3 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

His numbers with UofM this year weren’t all that outstanding but if I’m not mistaken it wasn’t a very good team. He was awesome at the WJC though. 

He almost scored at a point-per-game pace as an 18yo freshman at a major Division I school - he's going to be a very good NHL player in time imo.   Like you said,  his WJC performance was outstanding. 

10 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

He almost scored at a point-per-game pace as an 18yo freshman at a major Division I school - he's going to be a very good NHL player in time imo.   Like you said,  his WJC performance was outstanding. 

He paced only a little better than Shane Bowers while being an older freshman. Many believe Bowers projects as a bottom 6 guy. 

Not saying CM’s freshman year is anything to scoff at but it’s not exceptional by any means. That said, he’s produced at every level thus far and I expect that’ll continue. 

1 hour ago, PlanB said:

Noooooooooo.  BUST A ROO 

im okay with your opinion, but he’s way too weak and way too slow to play against men.  His game is offensive only.  He will do VERY POORLY.  

you may save my prediction.  

1 hour ago, Sean Monahan said:

Cody Hodgson was awesome at WJC.  Middlestadt (like Cody) is too slow, too weak, and way too offence only to succeed.  He’s another BUST A ROO in Sabre land.  IMHAO, of course:)

6 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Yep. I believe it won’t start the clock on his expansion draft status either, similar to Gaudette. Maybe @SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME or @Rick Blight or one of the other nerds on here can confirm that though. 

1040 this afternoon said AG would have to be protected now, they might be wrong, I am not sure but thats what they were chatting about today.

6 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I will be honest, prior to the draft, Casey Mittelstadt was one of the players I wanted the Canucks to select at 5th overall. Almost a year later, I'm happy we selected Elias Pettersson. I think most would agree that Pettersson wasn't on anyone's radar, as much of the focus was on Cody Glass and Gabriel Vilardi.

Still can't believe  that he fell into the kings lap at 11. I had him pegged to go #4 to the aves.

11 hours ago, Brobidus said:

This seems rushed. I've heard that his university is having problems with the hockey program. Seems like that might be the reason. 
Maybe he goes down to the AHL for a year or two like A. Nylander.

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

This guy seems like he has a very big BUSTAROO sign all over him.  I see him starting with the Sabres next year (for the team to sell tickets and save face) then getting sent to the AHL for being just too horrible defensively.  

10 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Watch the kid be a bust at the NHL level. Lawls :ph34r:

When I'm honest with myself... I know that probably won't be the case lol

As a couple others have mentioned this kid will not be a bust.

23 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

You think his season is more impressive than EP’s?

Not necessarily, Mittelstadt and Petterson were both very impressive this season, EP's season as a whole was probably more impressive given the records.  I've just always been a bit higher on Mittelstadt as a player and have some reservations on getting hyped about players before they come over to NA.  I've seen to many of our exciting prospects thrive in Europe and not be able to translate that here (not that I think that's the case with Petterson, I think he's going to be a gem too, but I have some tempered expectations).

CM was my pick going into last year for the whole year until Pettersson had the season he had in the Allsvenskan. I was a big supporter of his skill, and still think he will end up as one of the top 3 forwards from the draft. 

Hope the best for him. 

American team is looking deeeeeeeep for the next 10 years. 

Matthews

Eichel

Mittlestadt

Boeser

Hughes

Maybe Gaudette one day too

Archived