The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Adam Gaudette

1 minute ago, goalie13 said:

How so?  He wasn't under contract at the trade deadline.  No way to assign him to Utica's roster without a signed contract and he couldn't sign the contract until he finished his own season.

Perhaps you're right. Not sure of the rules for that.

Looking back, it seems none of the college signings who signed in 2016-17 played in the AHL that year, so I guess that's the rule. Still, I'm guessing Gaudette doesn't play in the AHL at all - he's a stud.

1 minute ago, goalie13 said:

But that all depends on how the next couple of years play out.

The other possibility is he is still developing after two full seasons and signs a bridge deal from which you get affordability for a few more years.  It can go either way.  I think Edmonton wrecked bridge deals by signing so many guys to long term big money deals before they really proved themselves.

Yep lots of different possibilities. Canucks could still be a bottom feeder and not have the need to be at the cap ceiling. Or gaudette my not be worth a big raise. I just think the overal idea is it’s better to have players bringing more value than their contrac hit. 

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Having a roster full of players getting paid below value is a bonus. If you have a $6 million player only making 950k it alllows you to spend those savings on other team needs. Hawks used to be the best at doing that. Lately it’s been the penguins. 

If canucks are competing in 3 years and only have 6 million available cap space. Would you rather have gaudette taking up all that cap or gaudette making elc + another $5 million player on the roster. 

A tad optimistic that Gaudette will be commanding 5m per in 3 years.

5 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

But that all depends on how the next couple of years play out.

The other possibility is he is still developing after two full seasons and signs a bridge deal from which you get affordability for a few more years.  It can go either way.  I think Edmonton wrecked bridge deals by signing so many guys to long term big money deals before they really proved themselves.

100% but very few people will understand this.

6 minutes ago, JoshuaGuy said:

A tad optimistic that Gaudette will be commanding 5m per in 3 years.

Thats what I was thinking...if he is worth 5 or 6 million in 3 years thats a really great problem to have.  We are talking Horvat calibre....Im not worried about burning year one of the ELC, it gives the fans some hope, and it entices the player to come here now rather than play hardball and gamble with the possibility he goes to free agency in a year

13 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Not for a forward, 7 would lookk good.

Umm 7 belongs to Jayson Megna. So that will be going to the rafters soon. 

And 88 looked pretty good on a certain forward in Philly. Wonder if his wearing of 8 has anything to do with Cam Neely being an idol.

4 hours ago, hiebskey said:

Right on!

Sorta sucks to burn a year of his ELC, but this way we guarantee he is a Canuck, and he adds some excitement to the last few games here!

I wonder where they play him in the lineup!?

Go Canucks Go 

This is the way I feel. I am very glad to have the assurance that he is now officially a Canuck. And, although he will burn a year off his entry level contract, he won't burn a year off off his expansion draft exemption. He is now a Canuck until age 27 as long as the Canucks want to keep him.

I am going to the game on Thursday, so I think I can take some credit for contributing to the karma that got him signed. ::D

If we apply normal league translation factors, there is every reason to expect him to make the team next year and score a decent number of points. While Boeser did better in the NHL than the normal NCAA translation factor would suggest, his performance is another example that a top NCAA player normally can translate into a decent NHL player right away. The current league translation factor for the H-East conference in the NCAA is 0.38. Gaudette has 1.58 points per game, best in the conference. And the closest non-senior (i.e. 3rd players or younger) is at 0.97 -- a big drop. Anyway, Gaudette's expected NHL ppg would be (.38)(1.58) = 0.60, which is a good second line level.

And having some extra depth at center will be a big plus. Based on league translation factors, Pettersson should also be able to have a good year on the Canucks, but is probably better on the wing right initially. 

With Gaudette, Pettersson, Leipsic, Goldy, Granlund, Gaunce and maybe Dahlen and Lind all pushing hard for spots on the Canucks next year, I do not see a lot room for the Sedins.

The Canucks need some team toughness, which makes me think that Archie or someone like him will be on the team, and Jake's physical play and improvement this year make him likely. And, barring trades, Horvat, Sutter, Baertschi, Gagner and Eriksson (sigh) will all be on the team. That adds up to 15 without the Sedins (or Motte or Boucher or Dowd), and I expect the Canucks to carry only thirteen forwards anyway. 

Still, if the Sedins want to come back, they will obviously get a chance to do so as long as their cap hit is reasonable -- which means some of the young guys would start in Utica -- probably Lind, Dahlen and at least two other guys from the above "top 15".

Archived