The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Put Thy $ Where The Mouth Is! ('18-19, good, or bad?)

Nuxfanabroad

Recently bumped a few old threads, cos' proof's in the pudding. I REALLY like 80~90% of Jimbo's work, & have frequently stated this. That they re-signed him to that 3 yr term seems pretty darn fair & accurate. Only flaws/possible gaffes I felt were going light on signing enough grit(past coupla' yrs)..seems this is finally being adequately addressed. Therefore, betting next yr's injuries decrease accordingly.

I've been reading a lot of pessimism regarding next season, but I don't agree. Not much time for a lengthy post, so I'll succinctly state: Next yr we're in the WC hunt(on par with Avs or NJ, this season).

I'd appreciate if any posters herein,  step up to the plate in agreement. I won't argue with any naysayers(all views entitled)..but I'm curious who has faith in the team, for next season.

Cheers!

Not gonna lie, thought this was going to be a stormy daniles v trump thread with that title.

In his first 14 months I was very down on benning.  Had NUMEROUS threads and comments showing how poor his drafting in the 1st round was and how it was going to be important on not missing with our 1st round picks.

Well...you know.  Virtanen, Boeser, Juolevi and Petterson.  I'd say he's actually done ok.

But since then he's taken a bottom 5 prospect pool and turned it in to a top 5 prospect pool in barely 2 full seasons.  He's shed almost $30 million worth of former managements cap and will have a ton of space at seasons end and a bunch of youth coming.

I'd say he's doing ok.

Now...of to that site where money for mouths and stuff

5 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I've been reading a lot of pessimism regarding next season, but I don't agree. Not much time for a lengthy post, so I'll succinctly state: Next yr we're in the WC hunt(on par with Avs or NJ, this season).

I'd appreciate if any posters herein,  step up to the plate in agreement. I won't argue with any naysayers(all views entitled)..but I'm curious who has faith in the team, for next season.

Nux I'd completely agree with you if you'd have said the season after next!  That's when we'll be competitive imo. 

Next season, no.  After JB completes his restock and rebuild, yes.  He was hired for his ability to evaluate young talent.  He's being given the necessary time to finish the job that he started.  Only good things can come of that.

6 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

With the Sedin's here we're going to be pretty soft again to play against and will get run down with injuries again. 

Goaltending is a huge question mark.

So no, another good draft year I think. 

HK..I was imagining the twins will hang them up. Seems rival vets are approaching it that way (?)

I honestly cant see us finishing in the bottom 10 next year. When we were healthy for the first half of the season we were a bubble team and in almost every game.  We only have 2 of our 4 top 10 picks in the line up.  Depending on where we end up drafting this year we will have 4-5 rookies( 2-3 top ten picks) starting next year. That is unheard of for the Canucks.    For the first time since the retool/rebuild younger players will be fighting for spots.  That's like a double bottom for me.

Our goaltending  will still be a big question mark(Demko is not as close as people think) but I think our current tandem will look better with next years D-core.  

Benning got an A++ from me last year because of two main things, Pettersson and Dahlen

If he can trade Tanev for a decent package at the draft then and A+this year.   Motte and Lipsec look like great additions at the draft.  

If Petterson is as good as Boeser or at least close this will be a playoff team.  If the team can draft Dahlin then this will be a playoff team.  The Pacific is a very weak division and very old.  There is plenty of opportunity to move up.  Markstrom seems to be turning the corner too at least in no-pressure regular season games.  I can garauntee that he will Dan Cloutier the playoffs if he ever gets there.  There is a lot of forward depth on this team now, and the quality would certainly be there if Petterson can be as good as Boeser.  Gaudette, Joulevi and Dahlen are wild cards.  I think Jake is at least two years away from being a top 6 player. I do think he will get there.  He doesnt look lost any more.  Not purposeful, but not lost.  If someone can teach him to deke on a breakaway, he could easily score 20+.  He gets as many odd man rushes per minute played as some of the fastest players in the game.  It's just that he lobs a wrister at the goalie on every one of them. 

If the Sedin's dont resign then I would say no as there wont be any 2ndary scoring and powerplay will suffer. 

So it all depends like always, but I like the odds that Petterson will come in and be a first line player right from the start.  If Dahlin then party on.  That guy is a revelation, and he plays a role that the team desperately needs more than anything.  Having a defenseman who can carry the puck out of the defensive zone for 25 minutes per night will make a monumental difference to the five on five socring rate.  It will also allow the forwards to cheat more on breakouts and be more effective.  It's a game changer and that is why if the Canucks dont get 1st overall.  I would sell the house outside of Boeser and Petterson to get him on the team.

Right now the kids I could see making noise in the pre-season are Pettersson, Gaudette, Dahlen and/or Juolevi. We could have surprise players too, but I don't see Green or Benning throwing more than 3 rookies into the squad. That might just be me being pessimistic. I love what Benning is doing, but we should expect another rough season ahead of us. Unless we get Dahlin, then I could see us potentially being a bubble team. I think the holes he fills for us is so great we could potentially make some noise. 1B Tanev/Dahlin, 1A Edler/Guddy, 3rd pair Del Zotto/Stecher/Juolevi. Not looking too bad. But we still have Markstrom, so that's not bueno.

I think with the question marks on the blueline and in goal we aren't a bubble team let alone a full on playoff team. We have a really solid looking forward crop of youngsters. Lind, Gadjovich, Pettersson, Dahlen, Gaudette will all be looking to make this team next year. Button said Dahlen is poised to push for a NHL spot. Gadjovich's physical maturity has me throwing his name in the hat, but thankfully he is AHL eligible next year and for that reason unless he's lights out I see him in the AHL. Same with Lind. But something about Gadjovich's physical maturity has me believing he can play in the NHL next season even if in the case of a few call ups. The way he scores goals should transfer nicely too. He doesn't blow past guys and out muscling smaller kids, he's not scoring cheesy goals on bad goalies. He crashes and bangs around the net. That transfers fairly well to the NHL. He's a man child. Skating is my only question mark for him.

56 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Recently bumped a few old threads, cos' proof's in the pudding. I REALLY like 80~90% of Jimbo's work, & have frequently stated this. That they re-signed him to that 3 yr term seems pretty darn fair & accurate. Only flaws/possible gaffes I felt were going light on signing enough grit(past coupla' yrs)..seems this is finally being adequately addressed. Therefore, betting next yr's injuries decrease accordingly.

Cheers!

I've been saying we be a playoff bubble team next year and everyone I say it to laughs at me... but I really believe 

Archived