The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Put Thy $ Where The Mouth Is! ('18-19, good, or bad?)

Nuxfanabroad

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Like many on this board, I think you are undervaluing what the twins brought to the team.  You are also assuming that Kane will be signed and that Pettersson will make the team and have a big season.  You seem to have a lot of that key injuries won't befall the team throughout the season (as they always seem to do). 

As it stands, the team has a very mediocre defence, goalkeeping, and there is nobody ready to step in and add to what the Sedins did point wise.  Vanek is gone and other than Boeser/Horvat/Edler, nobody on the team ended up with more than 30pts.  Besides Gaudette, the Canucks have no obvious prospects ready to make the jump to the NHL; including this years' picks.  Goldy?  Dahlen?  Longshots, but given the lack of offence they will probably get their chances.

So there are a lot of holes to fill and I don't know what JB will do. I'm hoping he stays the course; but he may try to shortcut the rebuild again.  The team really doesn't have much in the way of assets that would bring back a valuable player and I would hate to see him lose any future picks.

The team does play with a lot of heart, so maybe they have a better season, but still think they're a long way from the playoffs.

Next season's draft appears to be loaded with forwards and some good dmen as well, so I really don't mind if the Canucks pick up another awesome prospect.

And based on your response you’re undervaluing the team’s prospects, Pettersson was the MVP of his leagues playoffs (while picking up many other awards), Dahlen was the MVP of his league, Jake was a beast the last 10 games and has improved - in fact he was the most improved player last year, Goldy has figured it out and is ready to break out next year (you can quote me on that), Gaudette was a hobey baker winner - the experience this year will pay off in the long run, Hutton and Stecher will be better next year. 

I’ll be clear about this I was a fan of the Sedins until the last 2 years where it became  crystal clear that they had lost a step compared to the league. The team had even said that they owed it to them to keep trying to retool, not rebuild while they were here. I’m thankful for everything they have done for the franchise but it was time for them to exit stage right. 

I’ll agree on the defense and goalie being the weakness of this team but I think that they’ll make the changes necessary this offseason to improve the defense but it’s really about buying time for Demko to take over, I watched the AHL playoffs and he’s going to be the solution for the goaltending issues going forward, he’ll be the starter in 19-20

13 hours ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

And based on your response you’re undervaluing the team’s prospects, Pettersson was the MVP of his leagues playoffs (while picking up many other awards), Dahlen was the MVP of his league, Jake was a beast the last 10 games and has improved - in fact he was the most improved player last year, Goldy has figured it out and is ready to break out next year (you can quote me on that), Gaudette was a hobey baker winner - the experience this year will pay off in the long run, Hutton and Stecher will be better next year. 

I’ll be clear about this I was a fan of the Sedins until the last 2 years where it became  crystal clear that they had lost a step compared to the league. The team had even said that they owed it to them to keep trying to retool, not rebuild while they were here. I’m thankful for everything they have done for the franchise but it was time for them to exit stage right. 

I’ll agree on the defense and goalie being the weakness of this team but I think that they’ll make the changes necessary this offseason to improve the defense but it’s really about buying time for Demko to take over, I watched the AHL playoffs and he’s going to be the solution for the goaltending issues going forward, he’ll be the starter in 19-20

Sedins I already know what they can do in the NHL.  Team has lost 105 pts.

Pettersson looks like he will be an exceptional NHL player, but he may take a period of adjustment before he starts putting up +50pts.  Dahlen will likely spend time in Utica.  The Swe-1 league is lesser league than the AHL and he's had very little experience with the smaller ice .  I don't think he makes the team this year, but will have some NHL opportunities.  Demko is looking good in the AHL, but it's hard to say how long it will be before he can transfer that success into NHL success.

I agree that Jake has improved, but I don't see him putting up Sedin replacement points in the coming season.  Goldy will be 23yrs at the beginning of the season and I believe he will be waiver eligible.  He has improved (especially defensively) and I think he will be given more than a fair chance to stick with the team.  We know he can score, so if he continues to improve defensively and an be consistent he easily makes the team.  I don't see 2017 Daniel #s this season though.

With 3/5 of the team's top offensive players missing, guys like Eriksson, Grandlund, Baer,  Bo, Sutter, Brock, Virtanen, Goldy, Lieps and any newbie will have to stay healthy and add to their point totals.  For any significant improvement, I think JB would have to add to the team via UFA and/or trade; which could put the team in a precarious position later on.

Archived