The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Put Thy $ Where The Mouth Is! ('18-19, good, or bad?)

Nuxfanabroad

7 minutes ago, xereau said:

Sounds about right to me.  Markstrom cost us 10 games, at least alone, with his patented 1st shot 30 second goals.

I wouldn't lay it all on Markstrom, the other tall swede goalie has to take a chunk of responsibility for sure.

i wonder if a goalie coach change would help?

24 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

:lol:I have this land out in White Rock, it is nice and flat and sandy for only $1000 an acre but you have to come by when the tide is out to see it, the bridge comes with the land at a very reasonable price.:P

That was Spur1 opinion on the matter??? that is him putting in his word of mouth for next years season. Good on him, he's optimistic

Boy you must have gotten picked on when you where a kid or did no one ever pop you one when you shot your mouth off too much?

21 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

I wouldn't lay it all on Markstrom, the other tall swede goalie has to take a chunk of responsibility for sure.

i wonder if a goalie coach change would help?

Yep I think Nilsson is moved and Demko is part of the team.  We can not move forward with this tandem.  And yes, they both cost us, way more than 10 games combined.

1 minute ago, xereau said:

Yep I think Nilsson is moved and Demko is part of the team.  We can not move forward with this tandem.  And yes, they both cost us, way more than 10 games combined.

Does Nilsson have only one more year on his contract?  I sure hope we only signed him for two years, because he will not be traceable if there’s an extra year. 

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Does Nilsson have only one more year on his contract?  I sure hope we only signed him for two years, because he will not be traceable if there’s an extra year. 

One year remaining (2018-19).  Then UFA.

37 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

That was Spur1 opinion on the matter??? that is him putting in his word of mouth for next years season. Good on him, he's optimistic

Boy you must have gotten picked on when you where a kid or did no one ever pop you one when you shot your mouth off too much?

I would make them laugh. Then they were toast. 

48 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Lol ... I did get popped in the nose though a picket fence when I was 5 by my so called friends cousin who was 3 years older.  My friend told me his supposed nickname.... not. 

Learnt 2 lessons that day. 

16 hours ago, spur1 said:

I will bet a dozen hydration’s we make the playoffs next year. 

Laugh all you want so called Guardian. 

I highly doubt we make the playoffs next year, we still have to address what has been a poor Defensive effort this season, Marky has rebounded the last 4 games and if he can come back and play this way all season we have a chance to be a wild card.

As someone who has been critical of our defensive players this year, I am impressed bu this Sautner kid. Makes the smart play , moves the puck to the forwards and asnt seemed to get caught at the Other teams blue line too often.

Healthy we have a decent line up. Injuries will be part of the game next year also. When you only have a few players who can be difference makers and those are the ones that get hurt its tough to make the playoffs. Losing players like Lui or Gaunce or Biega doesnt hurt as much as losing Tanev, Boeser, Horvat etc. Next season the team should look a lot younger. How much younger depends on Henrik and Daniel.  Demko if not ready for the NHL should stay in Utica and gain confidence. Same for Petterson and Dahlen.

I predict we finish 20-25 next year, improved but no playoffs yet.

17 hours ago, spur1 said:

Lol ... I did get popped in the nose though a picket fence when I was 5 by my so called friends cousin who was 3 years older.  My friend told me his supposed nickname.... not. 

Learnt 2 lessons that day. 

spur1, my comment was directed at Guardian for his belittling comments

On 2018-03-29 at 10:25 AM, AbrasiveAjax said:

i feel we can win 10 games more next year.... just a hunch imho, 20 more points is possible 

20-21 overall in the standings next year.

Seems about right on track for the rebuild..

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 3:49 PM, CeeBee51 said:

If we are reasonably healthy next year we will be playing meaningful games in March. Injuries like this year...... not so much.

THIS.    If healthy, can ice a team that can compete with pretty much everyone and can win more than lose but not sufficient organizational depth yet to have another devastating year of injuries.   Having 3rd/4th line players playing top 6 minutes/scenarios and 6-9th Dmen playing top 4 for more than 1/2 the season is NOT going to work.

Canucks injury luck goes back to middle of the pack, next year can be substantively better.   That and combined SV% of goalies needs to be north of .914 or so.  

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:14 AM, TheGuardian_ said:

You know it is funny how many excuses get made for not being a good team, all these "reasons" for failure, but what is behind these reasons, when it comes right down to it, who is responsible? Where is the depth? Why can't the team withstand one or two players missing?

Responsibility for depth?   Empty cupboard at NHL and AHL level left for current management team.  You seem to want to ascribe blame to things, here you go.  That is where you start.

Oh, and third most man-games lost is not "one or two players".   Canuck injury situation this year is statistically abnormal and when you are missing 2/3 of your top line more games than they are together and same for having all your top 4 dmen together, that is not trivial.   This was not a team with sufficient depth yet (it is slowly coming, takes time to fill up an empty tank) to withstand what can only be termed "devastating" in terms of number of injuries and who they happened to.    Exchange Guddy and Tanev's time off with Hutton and Bulldog.   Exchange Baer/Horvat with Motte and Gagner.    Dorsett plays whole year.

10 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Responsibility for depth?   Empty cupboard at NHL and AHL level left for current management team.  You seem to want to ascribe blame to things, here you go.  That is where you start.

Oh, and third most man-games lost is not "one or two players".   Canuck injury situation this year is statistically abnormal and when you are missing 2/3 of your top line more games than they are together and same for having all your top 4 dmen together, that is not trivial.   This was not a team with sufficient depth yet (it is slowly coming, takes time to fill up an empty tank) to withstand what can only be termed "devastating" in terms of number of injuries and who they happened to.    Exchange Guddy and Tanev's time off with Hutton and Bulldog.   Exchange Baer/Horvat with Motte and Gagner.    Dorsett plays whole year.

Almost like trying to explain things to a brick wall, innit?:rolleyes:

13 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

A brick wall eventually says, "oh, I get it".   Therefore, not so sure your analogy works in this case.

You can bash and bash into the brick wall, it never gives nor budges, just leaves you exhausted and frustrated   

best to leave brick walls to themselves

I think they make it in, 3rd or 4th in the Pacific.  They were on track before the Bo/Sutter combined absences.  Ducks were sucking pretty hard without their top two centers as well.

I don't think Demko can step in and be a #1, but honestly, Marky's not that bad.  He can handle being #1 next year.  Considering how bad things have been this year, he is middle of the pack on GAA and Sv%, especially considering goalies with over 40 games played.  No one expects greatness from him, and he has held up.  I don't follow the Comets, so I can't say whether Demko is ready to make the jump, but it's always good to see the young'uns come on up.  Marky and Nilsson are pretty young for goalies.  Perhaps the year of experience will help for next season for either/both, especially reducing those painful first-shot goals we saw all too often.

As others have alluded to, injuries are the big disclaimer.  

IMO, they should be good enough to be ahead of Calgary, Edmonton, Arizona, and Anaheim.  Vegas will come down some, who knows how far.  Too crazy a year there.  Sharks I can see dropping some too.  Should be a busy off-season for them, with lots of contracts expiring.  Kings should still make the playoffs, but their age may hold them back from going deep.  Don't see the Canucks catching them.

I love the optimism in this thread. It's very needed and welcome.

Unfortunately, I'm with those that are calling for 2019-20 to be the beginning of our upswing.

Addressing our blueline should be management's number one priority this offseason.

I don't believe we will reach the playoffs until it is.

Archived