The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Put Thy $ Where The Mouth Is! ('18-19, good, or bad?)

Nuxfanabroad

These last 2 weeks have been great, character-building experiences for the young guys.

They could carry/maintain a phenomenal culture & mentality as the franchise moves forward. There's so much potential developing just beneath the surface.

I'm a little surprised more people aren't bullish towards a significant breakthrough in 2018~19.

• 3 weeks later...

The Nucks will make the big show in 2019. Injuries will have less impact given increased depth. The goaltending is the biggest question. I think the D will get some help this summer. Expect a young, fast, and gritty style of play with Horvat, Sutter, and 1 or 2 UFA additions providing leadership.

On 3/28/2018 at 3:46 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Therefore, betting next yr's injuries decrease accordingly.

There was your first mistake. Did that with this season and our injury season was worse than last, heh. Certainly hoping for a better injury situation, but we really shouldn't expect a solid team until the year after next anyways. Looking forward to next season, regardless.

If JB makes the right moves and upgrades our "D" along with signing Kane, then we have a good chance of making the playoffs if Petterrson, Dahlen, Goldy and Gaudette can push out some of the place holders. Need to fix the "D" though.

2 minutes ago, Pete M said:

If JB makes the right moves and upgrades our "D" along with signing Kane, then we have a good chance of making the playoffs if Petterrson, Dahlen, Goldy and Gaudette can push out some of the place holders. Need to fix the "D" though.

Expecting JB to make some big moves(draft; summer) for the blueline. Crafty b*gger, in country bumpkin-disguise.

3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Expecting JB to make some big moves(draft; summer) for the blueline. Crafty b*gger, in country bumpkin-disguise.

That's more likely to happen the following summer, given who's going to be available, but yes. Hopefully we draft one of the top d-men in this draft

I see 2018-19 much the same as this year (a bottom eight finish in the league - possibly worse than this season). I would be very surprised if we are knocking on the playoffs door come next March.  There will be a huge hole left by the Sedins (character on and off the ice; we won't be replacing their 100 points). We have nowhere near the depth to make a run at the playoffs next year (compared to the other teams that we will be chasing).  If we are lucky (and I mean really lucky), we might have a sniff of the playoffs in the 2019-20 season.  I like what Benning is doing and I feel there are lots of reasons for optimism but the players we expect to lead us are much too young to lead us into the playoffs next year.  I can see us making the playoffs in 2020-21.

On ‎2018‎-‎04‎-‎20 at 7:46 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Nice to see, if Anaheim & LA are falling back somewhat. Was Arizona for real? The Pacific might be trending into a weaker division.

All adds up to Van fighting to join the spring dance.

Yeah this division could be BAD especially if Doughty was to leave, I don't think he will.

I thought Vancouver was going to be a lot better this year.  No Sedins now?  Unless we land some big free agent or someone has a crazy breakthrough season, I see a similar result as this year. 

I have been kicking this around some........I think we should not sign any "BIG" UFA's  yet.........either sign a couple of UFA's 2 years from now, or not at all

I think we need to just use our cap space and collect picks for this year, as well as Jimbo moving a couple of wingers for more picks

This is an above draft year and I see no purpose in,  intentionally moving up....let's let Eriksson's years shrink a little, and fill the cookie jar up a little more.

Draft a *Dman and let's see if we can get a more mature Tryamkin back, and our Defence may not look as bad........

Let's see if Hutton improves, Granlund is traded or scores again, and Nilsson's contract run's out and Demko is playing on the big club

So 2019..........PLZ

* Side note...........I keep on looking at our Defense and keep on seeing that we need a #1 LHD, as it stands now. Maybe we should be drafting a LHD in 1st round, then RHD with our next 2 picks. (If Tryamkin comes back, are we really weak on RD or do we just lack depth that can be filled with 2nd and 3rd rounders?)

Just to explain myself

The original post, opens up the defense question, as it is our biggest need moving forward

LHD                                                             RHD

Edler        32   2/3                                        Tanev            28    2/3

MDZ         27   4/5                                        Tryamkin       23    2/3/4

Joulevi     19    2/3                                        Gudbranson  26    3/4/5

Hutton      25    4/5/6                                     Stecher         24    4/5

Pouliot      24    4/5/6                                     Biega            30    5/6

Sautner    23    4/5                                        Chatfield        21   5/6/7..?

McEneny  23    4/5/6/7...?                             2018 2nd rounder  3/4/5..?

Brisebois  20    4/5/6/7..?                              2018  3rd rounder  3/4/5..?

Rathbone  18    3/4/5/6..?

2018 1st Rounder..1/2..?

So, it totally depends on so many things..........is Tryamkin coming back? (hopefully JB has a idea), Does Jack Rathbone develop?, does Hutton develop?, What happens to Pouliot, Sautner, McEneny, and Brisebois? But when I look at both RHD and LHD, I see more talent on the RHD.......maybe it is just me.....but Benning will sure have to look at this carefully IMO.......I mean, you can fill with a UFA like MDZ did..............so maybe I am wrong???

But that is why I want them to wait until 2019 to ascend.............not saying tank, just saying don't go out and buy an old UFA to prop us up......we still need the defensive prospects, regardless of which side Benning picks to use our first on...

Thoughts?

9 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Just to explain myself

The original post, opens up the defense question, as it is our biggest need moving forward

LHD                                                             RHD

Edler        32   2/3                                        Tanev            28    2/3

MDZ         27   4/5                                        Tryamkin       23    2/3/4

Joulevi     19    2/3                                        Gudbranson  26    3/4/5

Hutton      25    4/5/6                                     Stecher         24    4/5

Pouliot      24    4/5/6                                     Biega            30    5/6

Sautner    23    4/5                                        Chatfield        21   5/6/7..?

McEneny  23    4/5/6/7...?                             2018 2nd rounder  3/4/5..?

Brisebois  20    4/5/6/7..?                              2018  3rd rounder  3/4/5..?

Rathbone  18    3/4/5/6..?

2018 1st Rounder..1/2..?

So, it totally depends on so many things..........is Tryamkin coming back? (hopefully JB has a idea), Does Jack Rathbone develop?, does Hutton develop?, What happens to Pouliot, Sautner, McEneny, and Brisebois? But when I look at both RHD and LHD, I see more talent on the RHD.......maybe it is just me.....but Benning will sure have to look at this carefully IMO.......I mean, you can fill with a UFA like MDZ did..............so maybe I am wrong???

But that is why I want them to wait until 2019 to ascend.............not saying tank, just saying don't go out and buy an old UFA to prop us up......we still need the defensive prospects, regardless of with side Benning picks to use our first on...

Thoughts?

Thoughtful with information.

Both sides of the defence look light IMO, but the left side appears weaker. I think Groot will come back, the management group just has to pay enough, if Hutton was worth 2.8 mil then 3.5 for Groot should be in the works.

Playoffs next year?

As some posters pointed out what LA and Anaheim do will affect how close this team gets to a WC spot.

It is another year where some players are talked about this year for next years draft so some tanking late in the season to get a lottery chance may take place. Funny that the tanking rules were supposed to eliminate tanking by a few teams but the opposite might be taking place with more teams tanking near the end of the season to get a lottery chance.

Losing the Sedins 100 pts and Vanek's 50+ will be daunting for the Canucks to overcome, there is a chance that if Pettersson plays between him, Bo and Boeser they could fill in for over half that.

It is purely guessing right now as the season hasn't finished, by July 15th more accurate assessments can be made, at this point I don't see a 25 point improvement next year so no to the playoffs. 

I was wrong this year in terms of expecting the Canucks to be in a wildcard spot but injuries and poor goal tending definitely hurt us this year.  I think if we can sign 1 solid UFA to help fill in for the sedin's and if Petterson and Boeser stay healthy we will be a wildcard team next year provided we don't lose our top 2 centres for any length of time like we did this year.  I'm really excited for the lottery and feel the NHL will reward the Canucks for not tanking with a 2/3 pick in the first round.  We will know more in just a few days how lucky/unlucky we are this year but after dropping so much each of the last 2 years it's about time for the Canucks to get a bit of a break.

Don't see us in the play offs next season, but lots depends on what JB does in free agency.

Management did say they may not spend to the cap next season in which case I doubt we will be play offs bound.

We will be seeing more youth on the team, and the future will be shining bright, but I think, they need a bit more seasoning before they can take us to the play offs. 

I expect us to be playoffs bound in 2 years.

But all depends on if management splash the cash in free agency.

Archived