The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2nd Best Dman in 2018 Draft

AK_19

Second Best Dman in 2018 Draft?  

342 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the Second Best Defenseman in the 2018 draft?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/22/2018 at 06:00 PM

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Jett Woo, y'all sheeple can play it safe picking a top 10 D-man B)

If Jett Woo falls, he's the guy I want the Canucks to snag in the 2nd round.

As for the first round, I'm really torn between Quinn Hughes, Evan Bouchard, and Ty Smith.

Hughes has the offensive edge that is hard to come by, he really has a number of gifts that the Canucks could use. Couple that with a breakthrough performance at the WJC and being the youngest player in the NCAA, it's hard not to like him. His downside is that he's small, so there's risk in his size. He'll need one more year in the NCAA before making the jump to the NHL.

Bouchard, on the other hand, is a big bodied "leader" of a defenseman. Puts up points, is big, is a leader, and is a fast riser in this year's draft. He did doubled his point total last year, this year too. I think he could make the jump to the NHL this fall.

I really like Ty Smith, feel like he's the "dark horse" d-man of this year's draft class. He's the type of guy to trade down for and get an extra pick or two. He has put up big names with Spokane this year. And will probably top out at 6'0. Needs another year to season in the WHL but he'll be close by for Canucks fans to watch if he is selected by us. Only downside is that he's a left handed shot.

Bouchard.  I'm not a fan of defensemen who can't play defense so a lot of these "offensive" guys with questionable hockey sense scare me.  We don't need a repeat of the Weber/Larsen debacle.  Bouchard's put up a ton of points while still playing a responsible game with size.  I'd be fine if we took him at any spot other than #1 overall.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Bouchard.  I'm not a fan of defensemen who can't play defense so a lot of these "offensive" guys with questionable hockey sense scare me.  We don't need a repeat of the Weber/Larsen debacle.  Bouchard's put up a ton of points while still playing a responsible game with size.  I'd be fine if we took him at any spot other than #1 overall.

Eating crow about “DuBust” as you called him heff?  ;)

3 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Bouchard has 33 more points than the highest-scoring forward on his team.

They trade lots of there very offensive forwards way for young prospect..You have to rebuild every 2-3 yrs and trade a good 19 yr old if your a avg team before trade deadline...They moved 3 very good older forwards....

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

19 goals as a rookie and doing a solid job at Centre with size to boot what is there not to like? 

Dubois is a horse. I can see why Lindenning was so high on him. When Columbus was awarded the 3rd overall pick Linden knew that they were going to go "off the board" to select him.

I'm glad that Juolevi's development is going well though. He's taken major strides with TPS Turku this season. 

Just like to say that I am hoping we get a defenseman with some size as well as skill,our team seems to have their defensemen on the injury list alot.

So,to put up with the size of players in the western teams we sure could use some size and skill and  strength.Not too many small NORRIS TROPHY WINNERS,which the Canucks certainly could use about now.

I'm assuming the question is actually "which dman should the Canucks take, assuming they don't get Dahlin and teams ahead of them all take forwards?", so I picked Bouchard. 

That's not to say he's necessarily the 2nd best dman available--every team's needs are different--but he's definitely the best dman that fills a need in the Canucks' system.  The Canucks already have too many undersized dmen and I don't think their needs are served by drafting another one.

1 hour ago, Pears said:

We currently don’t have a top RD in the system so if we pick 4th that should be what we draft imo. 

Benning was pretty clear last draft that he wants a RHS PMD/PPQB, but if the best-available D is a LHS does he not take him?  I think he has to.

We're likely to finish in the 4-6 range with a worst-possible pick of #9, so if Boqvist and Bouchard (both righties) are gone, who does that leave in the top-10?

RHD: Dobson, Wilde

LHD: Hughes, Smith

None are likely NHL-ready, so whether college or junior they will need at least a year or two of development.  All these guys are good skaters and have offensive upside, but the LHD are small and the RHD larger.  I think that the interviews will be the deciding factor if they're close, but the RHD factor might be the quantitative thing to tip the scale in the end if all else is relatively equal.

12 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I don't get that Boqvist is ranked 2nd, there is not much out there to see and his stats aren't great.

My defence man list;

1. Bouchard

2. Dobson

3. Wahlstrom

4. Boquist

5. Hughes

You sure did your research there. Boqvist arguably has the highest ceiling out of the any of the defenseman you've listed. He's the right handed powerplay defenseman that Benning has been looking for.

8 minutes ago, pluralsight said:

You sure did your research there. Boqvist arguably has the highest ceiling out of the any of the defenseman you've listed. He's the right handed powerplay defenseman that Benning has been looking for.

As I posted, it is hard to find anything terribly positive video or stats and he has been free falling in the rankings and I do look at over 10 scouting lists.

Besides I thought Gudbranson or Stecher were Benning's RH guys? They aren't using two dmen on the PP anyway so it is not so big a deal, not as big a deal as player's size.

If they did pick Boqvist then I expect him to stay in Europe for a couple of years. This year he is hardly playing at all and is a defensive liability, decent offensive skill and very small, may get to 6' but the Canucks already have 5 dmen 6' and under, they need size.

31 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I don't get that Boqvist is ranked 2nd, there is not much out there to see and his stats aren't great.

My defence man list;

1. Bouchard

2. Dobson

3. Wahlstrom

4. Boquist

5. Hughes

Hes a forward

Best at what?

In 2010, Guddy went first and then McIrath and then Fowler at 12th. 

The best offensive Dman in the draft is Boqvist, a smallish, Dman who looks closer to EP than he does to anything else and compares to Karlsson.

Bouchard is a bearded teenager who does everything well and has leadership abilities. 

How soon do you want your kids making an impact? 

JB drafted OJ and EP knowing they were smallish, young, kids who wouldn’t be an immediate impact for some time. I could see him taking a run at Boqvist for those reasons, or maybe he wants the NHL core in place as soon as next year and so he drafts the physically mature Bouchard.

One thing I trust is Benning’s Drafting, overall. 

I trust him to pick the guy they think is best. I’m just a amateur observer, where as these guys are seasoned professionals. Personally, I like Boqvist because of his projected ceiling. I don’t have enough first-hand knowledge of him, his team and the league to judge him against his peers and competition like I can with Bouchard, who looks every bit an NHLer already. The difference in their ceilings is something best left to JB’s Team to decide. 

Lots of google-warriors here, but seriously, has anyone actually scouted all of these guys?

Sitting in front of a computer and spouting off opinions about players we’ve never seen play seems quite redundant. I watch quite a bit of the WHL, but not much of the rest unless it’s highlights and the Memorial Cup for the CHL kids.

Is there anyone who is actually working as a scout who has been overseas and into the NCAA ranks who can compare all of these picks with something more than a regurgated scouting-report opinion? That would be more valuable than reading through a bunch of hacks, guessing, like myself here. 

2 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Best at what?

In 2010, Guddy went first and then McIrath and then Fowler at 12th. 

The best offensive Dman in the draft is Boqvist, a smallish, Dman who looks closer to EP than he does to anything else and compares to Karlsson.

Bouchard is a bearded teenager who does everything well and has leadership abilities. 

How soon do you want your kids making an impact? 

JB drafted OJ and EP knowing they were smallish, young, kids who wouldn’t be an immediate impact for some time. I could see him taking a run at Boqvist for those reasons, or maybe he wants the NHL core in place as soon as next year and so he drafts the physically mature Bouchard.

One thing I trust is Benning’s Drafting, overall. 

I trust him to pick the guy they think is best. I’m just a amateur observer, where as these guys are seasoned professionals. Personally, I like Boqvist because of his projected ceiling. I don’t have enough first-hand knowledge of him, his team and the league to judge him against his peers and competition like I can with Bouchard, who looks every bit an NHLer already. The difference in their ceilings is something best left to JB’s Team to decide. 

Remember Benning's statement that he preferred European skill, that may tip the scales.

Have you noticed that Benning was criticised for being soft and small when played at 6', he was more a skill player, the defence now has 4 players playing that are 6' and under, more likely 5 considering how those stats are often exaggerated, sort of like 5'11 1/8" equals 6' or 6'1/4" equals 6'1".

5 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Is there anyone who is actually working as a scout who has been overseas and into the NCAA ranks who can compare all of these picks with something more than a regurgated scouting-report opinion? That would be more valuable than reading through a bunch of hacks, guessing, like myself here. 

Not anymore and I was in western Canada.

Archived