The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2nd Best Dman in 2018 Draft

AK_19

Second Best Dman in 2018 Draft?  

342 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the Second Best Defenseman in the 2018 draft?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/22/2018 at 06:00 PM

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I don't get that Boqvist is ranked 2nd, there is not much out there to see and his stats aren't great.

My defence man list;

1. Bouchard

2. Dobson

3. Wahlstrom

4. Boquist

5. Hughes

not a defenceman 

If the draft goes according to form, these so called 2nd best D will all be available if the Canucks hold their 5th position in the draft.  The way they've re-jigged the draft lottery, it is less likely for teams with lower seedings to jump to the top 3 like happened last year.

2 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

If the draft goes according to form, these so called 2nd best D will all be available if the Canucks hold their 5th position in the draft.  The way they've re-jigged the draft lottery, it is less likely for teams with lower seedings to jump to the top 3 like happened last year.

Excellent point CC.  As a result of picking fifth, JB will get to select the Dman he believes to be second best.  That’s a really good position for our team to be in.  Heck, maybe we even win the lotto this time? 

Hughes and Boqvist have very high offensive potential but are smaller. Bouchard and Dobson both put up great points and have more projectable frames. 

Does anyone know why Boqvist has struggled so much in the SHL? 1 point in 18 games, also a -7 in regular season. His U20 numbers are great, but is this reason for concern? Liljegren scored 5 points in 19 games the year before his draft season and matched that the following year with mono. Also has better size than Boqvist.

Looking at recent draft picks from respective leagues, Bouchard looks to be a really good prospect as his numbers look a lot better than guys who are doing well in the NHL. 

29 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Evan Bouchard had 87pts (25G 62A) in 67 OHL games from the backend this year.

A scouting report on possible Canuck Evan Bouchard. #Canucks

DZt090WVQAI7Cmg.jpg

Seeing someone born in the year 2000 who looks like that makes me feel so old. 

2 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I don't get that Boqvist is ranked 2nd, there is not much out there to see and his stats aren't great.

My defence man list;

1. Bouchard

2. Dobson

3. Wahlstrom

4. Boquist

5. Hughes

why would hughes and wahlstrom be on your list when you like to go all chicken little when it comes to NCAA draft picks signing with us?

Wahlstrom.

Revised;

1. Bouchard

2. Dobson

3. Boquist

4. Hughes

Why Boquist ahead of Hughs?  Hughs plays on NA ice, and shows well.  Boquist is IMHAO the Littlegren of this draft.  He’s likely to bust out of NA hockey, much like Philip Larsen.  I agree with your list, except I would not have Boquist on it.  I would select Miller ahead of Boquist. 

I think the availability of the D is going to depend on who drafts above us. I dont see Edmonton taking a forward this year if there is a strong D candidate available. Same with Arizona. If we end up drafting 5th and lets say those teams are 3-4 above us. I can see where they pass on the Svechnikovs and Zadinas to take the D. I really like a D man with our first pick. there are a lot of good ones in this draft.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why Boquist ahead of Hughs?  Hughs plays on NA ice, and shows well.  Boquist is IMHAO the Littlegren of this draft.  He’s likely to bust out of NA hockey, much like Philip Larsen.  I agree with your list, except I would not have Boquist on it.  I would select Miller ahead of Boquist. 

I’m still waiting to hear why you keep calling Liljegren a busy, when after his first year in The AHL, he showed to be a solid prospect.  

I understand this is your schtic of the week, but I’d just like to low where it all comes from.   

Boquist is 5’11 170 lbs, and one of the youngest in the draft. He is going to get a good amount heavier, and maybe taller. 

Bigger than Hughes too. 

I just want to know what about them makes you trash talk them so much?

please use facts to support. 

I like Bouchard too. He seems like an awesome choice. He just doesn’t have the  skills that the other two have.  

I wouldn’t be upset with that choice at all. 

15 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

I’m still waiting to hear why you keep calling Liljegren a busy, when after his first year in The AHL, he showed to be a solid prospect.  

I understand this is your schtic of the week, but I’d just like to low where it all comes from.   

Boquist is 5’11 170 lbs, and one of the youngest in the draft. He is going to get a good amount heavier, and maybe taller. 

Bigger than Hughes too. 

I just want to know what about them makes you trash talk them so much?

please use facts to support. 

I like Bouchard too. He seems like an awesome choice. He just doesn’t have the  skills that the other two have.  

I wouldn’t be upset with that choice at all. 

Philip Larsen really turned me off of drafting these light framed D from the Euro leagues.  I want our D to be offensive minded puck movers, but heavier bodied guys, who can play the game on NA ice.  I see nothing from Liljegren that indicates he’s even as good a prospect as our little Subban was.  

Plus, if we are going to have a top team after the rebuild, we cannot miss on this Dman.  

3 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Bouchard. At his size injuries are less.And he can handle bigger forwards in the crease. Would help in clearing for the PK.

Fairly good offensive stats. 

Probably gone by the time we choose.

I tend to agree that Bouchard will be the second Dman selected.  I’m just hoping the teams that pick before us select the forwards.  Then (fingers crossed) Bouchard is still there when we pick at five or six.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I tend to agree that Bouchard will be the second Dman selected.  I’m just hoping the teams that pick before us select the forwards.  Then (fingers crossed) Bouchard is still there when we pick at five or six.

My top 5 for our first pick. 

Dahlen 

Svech

Zadina

Bouch

Wahlly

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Dahlen 

Svech

Zadina

Bouch

Wahlly

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Dahlen 

Svech

Zadina

Bouch

Wahlly

I’m really hoping we get into the top three or four.  Then JB gets to pick the Dman he believes is second to Dahlin.  (I’m fully expecting that Dman to be Bouchard)

1 hour ago, canucklehead44 said:

Hughes and Boqvist have very high offensive potential but are smaller. Bouchard and Dobson both put up great points and have more projectable frames. 

Does anyone know why Boqvist has struggled so much in the SHL? 1 point in 18 games, also a -7 in regular season. His U20 numbers are great, but is this reason for concern? Liljegren scored 5 points in 19 games the year before his draft season and matched that the following year with mono. Also has better size than Boqvist.

Looking at recent draft picks from respective leagues, Bouchard looks to be a really good prospect as his numbers look a lot better than guys who are doing well in the NHL. 

Boqvist has only played average of 7 minutes per game during the regular season and only 4 min during the playoffs. That is like us complaining that Virtanen was only getting 7-8 minutes of icetime per game and expecting him to put up points earlier in the year. It is less a factor of him struggling and more a factor of the coach wanting to play his top guys to win. 

58 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

It is not that re-jigged the bottom three only get .5% better odds

27 minutes ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

why would hughes and wahlstrom be on your list when you like to go all chicken little when it comes to NCAA draft picks signing with us?

Wahlstrom was an error, he isn't a dman. Chicken little on NCAA? My major concern with NCAA draft picks is they could and are allowed to playout their eligibility and become free agents like Vesey did. One other thing is that in some cases they have reached their limit on improvement.

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I put Boqvist ahead because of size and all those scouts must have seen a lot more than is available on the internet, be it stats or video of him playing, the highlights that I have seen I don't find all that impressive so the scouts must have seen something not available.

?

what after you made a mistake and then revised it?

your special man. it's a humble man that admits a mistake.....................good for you for being human

Archived