The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Canucks interested in Tyler Bozak

Funny, I've been kind of focused on the sadness of the Sedins retiring and the end of an era etc., but it never hit me that this frees up $14 million next year lol. I was a bit concerned that Pettersson would be forced into a top role right away because they'll need to replace the Sedins' points. Pettersson and Dahlen may need a year in Utica first. I don't mind the idea of adding Bozak and Neal.

Neal - Horvat - Boeser

Baertschi - Bozak - Gagner

Leipsic - Gaudette - Granlund

Eriksson - Sutter - Virtanen

Goldobin

It helps, a little. Maybe Benning frees up even more cap space and rosters spots with trades (Baertschi, Granlund, Gagner, Gaunce) and adds a big name player too (Kane, Tavares). It sure will look like a different team next season, with the Sedins gone and some new faces. 

I don't think we are necessarily hurting down the middle that we need Bozak. Bo, Sutter, Gaudette, Gagner, Dowd, MacEwan, Granny played it for a bit this year, not sure if Gaunce is pretty much done at center but he can play it too. Pettersson if he bulks up enough shouldn't get torched playing center in his rookie season especially if deployed the way we deployed the Sedins this year. Not a great bunch but for a rebuilding team it'll suffice.

Losing the Sedins is a hard pill to swallow, but I think they can only be replaced from within. Lets not overpay on 28-32 year old UFAs. The only big fish I'd accept on a long term big ticket contract is Tavares, and I highly doubt he comes here unless he was really impressed with Boeser and became best friends with him at the all star game. 

35 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Funny, I've been kind of focused on the sadness of the Sedins retiring and the end of an era etc., but it never hit me that this frees up $14 million next year lol. I was a bit concerned that Pettersson would be forced into a top role right away because they'll need to replace the Sedins' points. Pettersson and Dahlen may need a year in Utica first. I don't mind the idea of adding Bozak and Neal.

Neal - Horvat - Boeser

Baertschi - Bozak - Gagner

Leipsic - Gaudette - Granlund

Eriksson - Sutter - Virtanen

Goldobin

It helps, a little. Maybe Benning frees up even more cap space and rosters spots with trades (Baertschi, Granlund, Gagner, Gaunce) and adds a big name player too (Kane, Tavares). It sure will look like a different team next season, with the Sedins gone and some new faces. 

I don't know if it's good idea to sign 2 30 year olds. In my opinion, 30+ year olds UFAs aren't worth it unless they are elite players like Hossa, Tavares, etc.

4 hours ago, khay said:

Tavares. 7x12 mil.

No to Bozak.

I worry about what Boesers next contract would look like if he goes on to score 45g playing with Tavares but I guess that's a damn good problem to have. But paying one guy that much sets up a huge payroll/depth issue. In the future maybe not immediately.

Bozak would make some sense. This team would need a second line Centre. Also more importantly he seems to have a personality and character that would mesh well in our room. 

Pettersson Horvat Boeser

Baertchi Bozak Goldobin

Leipsic Motte Virtanen

Granlund Sutter Archibald 

Gaunce Gaudette 

Edler Gudbranson 

Del Zotto Tanev 

Juolevi Stetcher

Hutton Biega 

12 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

Bozak would make some sense. This team would need a second line Centre. Also more importantly he seems to have a personality and character that would mesh well in our room. 

Pettersson Horvat Boeser

Baertchi Bozak Goldobin

Leipsic Motte Virtanen

Granlund Sutter Archibald 

Gaunce Gaudette 

Edler Gudbranson 

Del Zotto Tanev 

Juolevi Stetcher

Hutton Biega 

EP has been playing RW most of the year. Plus I think Gaudette would be given a chance at C before Motte. You also forgot Loui E.

What about:

Loui-Bo-Boeser

Jake- Free Agent/trade C - Pettersson

Goldobin/Leipsic-Gaudette-Virtanen

Granlund-Sutter-Archie

Gaunce 

Baer to me is the most tradable asset in terms of potential return and role. 

We might be able to go after a trade for a veteran C as well, a package of Hutton and Baer might be the basis of a trade for a 2C. 

For me, I say go for the top guys and pass on the middling guys.  If we don't get top guys, then sign cheap leftovers like Vanek and Jokinen types to fill spaces on 1 year deal who can get moved/waived in case more kids are ready than is realistically probable.

Our roster looks horrible even if we re-sign our main RFAs.  Imagine this season without the Sedins and Vanek, and that is what you are looking at next year.... that would be a historically bad team.  I think there is no question we add some players to boost the lineup.

Kane, Neal, Tavares, Carlson are all good targets.

Without reinforcements:

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Leipsic-Sutter-Virtanen
Dahlen-Petterson-Eriksson
Goldobin-Gaudette-Granlund

Motte/Archibald-Gagner

Edler-Stecher
Del Zotto-Tanev
Juolevi-Gudbranson
Hutton-Pouliot
Biega

Even signing a bunch of Top UFAs we still have four rookies in the lineup and a large chunk of our roster 24 or under.  

bozak on a 3 year term, provide some mentorship a long with, Louis Ericksson, to lead the Petterssons,Gaudettes that are coming in.   Ideally I want our team to phaze in sooner rather then later our future one 2 punch of Horvat and Pettersson anchoring our top 2 centre spots.  If we bring in Tavares, then one of Horvat and Pettersson will not end up playing centre.

3 hours ago, c00kies said:

The way I see it, Sutter is like our Bozak, so we don't really need him too. Get a player like JVR or a d-man, but no more fringe pieces.

Bozak is good defensively, since when?

Doesn't go against the opposition's top line, doesn't kill penalties, one of the lowest defensive start time on the team.

Archived