The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Jonathan Tavares to test UFA

http://mynhltraderumors.com/nhl-rumors-john-tavares-new-york-islanders-3/2018/04/01/

I feel like this deserves its own thread... especially since the Sedins have now announced their retirement.  It's not really fit for proposals and you know Tavares is Benning/Green's type of player.  With a possible top 5 pick this year and likelyhood of Dahlen, Petterrsson and Juolevi cracking the roster I seriously think Canucks can be a front runner for this stud.  Sources have said he wants to join a contender which Vancouver definitly is not.... until he is signed.  

He becomes the captain of a young up and coming team with 2-3 stars on ELC's for teh next 1-3 years.  So lets say we end up with a top 3 pick and land Zadina.  Or we sign Kane in the off season because we get Dahlin 1rst overall or Bouchard in the number 5 spot.  Any way you slice it with a top 5 pick this year and signing Tavaras we are sitting pretty for the next few years.  

Zadina/Kane  JT  Boeser

Dahlen  Horvat Petterrsson

Eriksson  Sutter Virtanen

Sven  Gaudette  Ganger

Edler Stecher/Dahlin/Bouchard

Tanev OJ

Gudbranson Biega

Markstrom Demko

I hope he isn't interested here lol.  I pray Benning is smart with all this cap space because it'll disappear quickly if it gets blown on players like Eriksson and Gagner.  With the increased cap space, lots of team will have the cap to sign and overpay for Tavares. 

6 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

If Tavares can get the same money elsewhere, I cannot see any scenario where he would want to go to a rebuilding team.  He has been on one his entire career.

The long-shot thinking is that maybe if we get Rasmus Dahlin, Tavares changes his mind. Last time he was here, he talked up about how he thinks Vancouver is a beautiful city.

6 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

He'd be wasting a not insignificant part of his prime here sadly - his career trajectory and our rebuild aren't aligned very well.  

He could accelerate the rebuild though. I don't think JT would pick Vancouver, nor do I expect it. There are reasons why he would pick Van though

1. A chance to be the Franchise Player on a Canadian Team. What other team can offer that? Montreal perhaps, but they are in way deeper **** then we are and the market is way more hostile.

2. Vancouver is a dope city

3. If by the fat chance that we win the lottery, he would be joining a very talented young core that includes Bo, Dahlin, Brock, Thatcher, and Elias. Is there a more attractive young core than that one? Toronto maybe, but I don't think he would go to the 6 to be the 2nd line center on Toronto, even if it is his hometown.

4. Buddies with Sam Gagner. I doubt it would a factor, but it is a possibility that he would want to play with him

Only way I’m okay with gettin JT is if we also get Dahlin in the lottery. Otherwise, I personally believe it’s a waste of cap space for us, and time for JT. 

Build through the draft. Supplement through FA/trades. Canucks won’t be ready to compete (for a few years), without a game changer in net, and on defence. 

27 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

He'd be wasting a not insignificant part of his prime here sadly - his career trajectory and our rebuild aren't aligned very well.  

Need to consider what stage our rebuild is in.  Going somewhere like Montreal would be far worse, as they have yet to even start.

With young blue-chip players coming in and lots of capspace available, this team with Tavares would take a SIGNIFICANT jump forward next year, in the order of a 2016 Leafs or 2017 Avs/Devils.

We have 14 mil in cap incoming. Just sayin' :ph34r:

Realistically not many contending teams can offer north or 8-9mil. Maybe some smarter, more astute posters can dig up the cap situations of contending teams for next year and tell me. I am just assuming not many teams could offer him 10ish mil in Free Agency. We could. Beautiful Province, future looks bright here with arguably the best young player in Pettersson, if not the second best young player, not in the NHL in our system (hell we could have both of them if the lottery plays our way this year). Not saying our chances are high, but gotta say we are a dark horse team. We could potentially offer him the most dollars and as far as rebuilding teams go I'd say we have one of the better prospect pools outside of D-men. We could be a playoff team as early as 2 years from now WITHOUT Tavares so adding him would potentially put us in the playoffs next season.

All in all I really doubt he comes here. Unless he thinks Dahlin, combined with our young kids and him we could be a playoff team next year. Which is a bit of a stretch. If he can get Stamkos dollars on a contending team he'll take it over 10mil with us. IMO. As far as free agents go we never net the biggest fish. I can only recall Hamhuis, and he was a hometown guy at a hometown discount.

Honestly, with the amount of cap space we’ll have, I don’t see a scenario where we don’t at least offer Tavares a contract. We can easily give him what he wants and he’d immediately become our best player. 

2 minutes ago, Pears said:

Honestly, with the amount of cap space we’ll have, I don’t see a scenario where we don’t at least offer Tavares a contract. We can easily give him what he wants and he’d immediately become our best player. 

Bo is our best player.  Tavares is a very good one way centre, but I wouldn’t want us to sign him.  He’s too expensive and too old for our next core.  

38 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

He could accelerate the rebuild though. I don't think JT would pick Vancouver, nor do I expect it. There are reasons why he would pick Van though

1. A chance to be the Franchise Player on a Canadian Team. What other team can offer that? Montreal perhaps, but they are in way deeper **** then we are and the market is way more hostile.

2. Vancouver is a dope city

3. If by the fat chance that we win the lottery, he would be joining a very talented young core that includes Bo, Dahlin, Brock, Thatcher, and Elias. Is there a more attractive young core than that one? Toronto maybe, but I don't think he would go to the 6 to be the 2nd line center on Toronto, even if it is his hometown.

4. Buddies with Sam Gagner. I doubt it would a factor, but it is a possibility that he would want to play with him

Tryamkin is that you? 

4 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

We have 14 mil in cap incoming. Just sayin' :ph34r:

Realistically not many contending teams can offer north or 8-9mil. Maybe some smarter, more astute posters can dig up the cap situations of contending teams for next year and tell me. I am just assuming not many teams could offer him 10ish mil in Free Agency. We could. Beautiful Province, future looks bright here with arguably the best young player in Pettersson, if not the second best young player, not in the NHL in our system (hell we could have both of them if the lottery plays our way this year). Not saying our chances are high, but gotta say we are a dark horse team. We could potentially offer him the most dollars and as far as rebuilding teams go I'd say we have one of the better prospect pools outside of D-men. We could be a playoff team as early as 2 years from now WITHOUT Tavares so adding him would potentially put us in the playoffs next season.

All in all I really doubt he comes here. Unless he thinks Dahlin, combined with our young kids and him we could be a playoff team next year. Which is a bit of a stretch. If he can get Stamkos dollars on a contending team he'll take it over 10mil with us. IMO. As far as free agents go we never net the biggest fish. I can only recall Hamhuis, and he was a hometown guy at a hometown discount.

I don't know if I'm smarter or more astute, but cap friendly has all the info. 

For sure it would cap crunch almost all of the current contenders or potential contenders. Chicago e.g., wouldn't be able to do it. San Jose could tho. 

We can easily include him now, we have $21 million in cap room next season, and a whopping $41 million the year after.  

But.... Toronto has 25 mil, Winnipeg 19.... the man has options if playing in Canada is important to him. 

I was joking about the childhood friend thing with Gagner but thats the kind of personal relationship that can really help. If JT trusts Gagner's opinion that could go a long way. 

I think it is a 100% chance that we put serious feelers out to him and all the top free agents.

We have several years of kids coming through the pipeline on cheap ELCs, but not many of them likely top end players.  You never hurt yourself by getting the top guys, you only hurt yourself by overpaying for middle of the road guys (like Eriksson).  After this draft we have easily 5 years worth of prospects coming onto the roster at a rate of 1-2 per year, enough to replace veterans with expiring contracts at a cheap rate that will offset some UFA signings.

We are at the point where we have to start getting better or risk having to overpay our kids coming off their entry deals and end up in a bad cycle of drafting high and losing players without getting noticeably better.

Tavares, Kane, and Carlson should definitely be targets.. we could afford all three probably realistically.

Our roster even assuming some of the kids are ready to come in looks pretty thin without the Sedins, we will have to sign some veterans to fill it out.

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Leipsic-Sutter-Virtanen
Dahlin-Petterson-Eriksson
Goldobin-Gaudette-Gagner
Archibald-Motte

Edler-Stecher

Del Zotto-Tanev
Juolevi-Gudbranson
Pouliot-Biega

My stand on Tavares all depends if we win the lottery or not. If we win and draft Dahlin, I don't see any reason not to offer him 10M. Having JT and Dahlin would make us an instant playoff contender, without derailing the development of our prospects. We could even add a player like Neal or Green, on a short term deal.

Archived