The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Jonathan Tavares to test UFA

39 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Taveres isn’t going to sign a 1 year deal.  That puts him at risk.  What if he gets injured and can’t resume his career?  He’s signing for big dollars and max term with a team he thinks is going somewhere.  

I would say that you are most likely right!

I'm not sure whether the league would allow a team to sign him to a 1 year July 1st and then sign him to an 8 year extension 30 days later. I'm not sure if anyone thought to put something in the CBA protecting against that.

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

I'm not sure whether the league would allow a team to sign him to a 1 year July 1st and then sign him to an 8 year extension 30 days later. I'm not sure if anyone thought to put something in the CBA protecting against that.

Depends on the team that tries to pull it off :ph34r:

47 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I would say that you are most likely right!

There are rules against it.  Just like when Vancouver signed Gudbranson to a 1 year extension last season.  They had to wait until Jan 1st (I believe) to sign him to his new 3 year extension. 

Yes please:

Petterson - Tavares - Boeser

Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen

Granlund - Sutter - Leipsic

Motte - Guance - Archibald

Gudbranson - Edler

Hutton - [Dahlin (here's hoping)]

Del Zotto - Pouliot

(Tanev traded)

Markstrom

Demko

That's a team good enough to win at least a round of playoff hockey.

On 2018-04-23 at 2:15 PM, VegasCanuck said:

So, I had posted earlier in this thread and my number was really a little high overall. I think he will sign for something closer to Stamkos range of 8.5 - 9.5 million if he's convinced its the right team and the right plan.

Reading through, I'm just wondering, not endorsing this course of action, but how many guys would do this:

Sign JT to a 1 year, 14 million dollar contract with a NMC. That gets him to Vancouver and rewards him really well for 1 year while we make a case that he should stay here long term and that we have the core coming together that would give him a really strong shot at his name on the cup.

Early January, 2019, if both sides are happy with the direction of the team and that we are moving in the right direction, JT signs an 8 year extension, around 72 - 76 million range, cap hit in the 9 - 9.5 range with a NMC for the first 3 years, and NTC where he can name 20 teams that he won't authorize trade to, for the final term.

Since he can only sign for 8 years with the team that he currently plays for, this approach would give him 9 total years and almost 90 million to play in Vancouver.

Again, not endorsing doing this, just curious as to how many here would do that if JT was receptive.

We can easily carry the 14 million next year considering they are expecting the cap to go as high as 80 million, that would give us around 26 million in total space to play with.

This approach would allow us to bundle a couple of other players to upgrade our defense talent level.

Thoughts?

I don't really want to sign him to the 7 year term it would require to get him here, let alone 9 years :lol:

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I don't really want to sign him to the 7 year term it would require to get him here, let alone 9 years :lol:

I really don't see him signing outside of NYI or Toronto. I think its about 80% chance that he's with that laughs next year.

5 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I really don't see him signing outside of NYI or Toronto. I think its about 80% chance that he's with that laughs next year.

Vegas, Nashville, San Jose are all solidoptions before Toronto IMO. Can't see him signing with he Leafs (or the Leafs signing him). They'd be FAR better off spending their $ on Carlsson.

12 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Could the Leafs afford 25 million in Cap on two centers though?  They need D.  I see them waiting until next summer and going for Doughty. 

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Could the Leafs afford 25 million in Cap on two centers though?  They need D.  I see them waiting until next summer and going for Doughty. 

Either way, they will have some major salary cap issues in the next couple of years.  Good times coming!

On 4/25/2018 at 8:36 PM, Tystick said:

Yes please:

Gudbranson - Edler

Del Zotto - Pouliot

(Tanev traded)

Markstrom

Demko

Thats what Im talking about.  We need a top 6 center as bad as a top defencman.  With Olli coming up and another top defender this year(via draft) we just need a top 6 center.  With Pettersson coming next year and Tavaras... we make the playoffs

On 4/26/2018 at 4:36 AM, Tystick said:

Yes please:

Gudbranson - Edler

Del Zotto - Pouliot

(Tanev traded)

Markstrom

Demko

giphy.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Not a wise signing to hope for as when we are on the hook for Luongo’s recapture penalty, we’d have to trade off enough capspace to take that 8-9 Million  hit. 

No way Tavares comes to a bottom 5 team either... he’s spent most of his career playing on one. 

1 hour ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Not a wise signing to hope for as when we are on the hook for Luongo’s recapture penalty, we’d have to trade off enough capspace to take that 8-9 Million  hit. 

No way Tavares comes to a bottom 5 team either... he’s spent most of his career playing on one. 

We can’t plan around a possible recapture penalty that probably won’t happen.

Pretty much any veteran NHLer has enough miles and dings  on their body that they could medically retire.  I fully expect Luongo will end up on the injured reserve at the end of his career when his actual salary is small .... possibly even after being traded back to Vancouver.

9 hours ago, Provost said:

We can’t plan around a possible recapture penalty that probably won’t happen.

Pretty much any veteran NHLer has enough miles and dings  on their body that they could medically retire.  I fully expect Luongo will end up on the injured reserve at the end of his career when his actual salary is small .... possibly even after being traded back to Vancouver.

LA kings have a recapture penalty on their books for Mike Richards.  https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/kings  

They offered every team an out with a compliance buyout - NYR bought out the recapture contract of Brad Richards.  Buffalo used theirs on Ehrhoff.  The changes to the CBA were approved by both the NHLPA and the Board of governors - i.e. the owners accepted the introduction of a recapture penalty.  

With so many doubting Hossa's equipment allergy not sure Luongo would want to put himself in a similar situation.  He would have to waive his NMC and say he is too injured to play.  Florida are also better off for him to retire early - their recapture cap hit is negligible.  Trying to circumvent the CBA can also result in the loss of draft picks - independent doctors examined Hossa.  Florida could buy him out - that would be the ideal scenario for Vancouver - but that's a 4.3M to 4.9M buyout cap hit for Florida though.

13 hours ago, mll said:

LA kings have a recapture penalty on their books for Mike Richards.  https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/kings  

They offered every team an out with a compliance buyout - NYR bought out the recapture contract of Brad Richards.  Buffalo used theirs on Ehrhoff.  The changes to the CBA were approved by both the NHLPA and the Board of governors - i.e. the owners accepted the introduction of a recapture penalty.  

With so many doubting Hossa's equipment allergy not sure Luongo would want to put himself in a similar situation.  He would have to waive his NMC and say he is too injured to play.  Florida are also better off for him to retire early - their recapture cap hit is negligible.  Trying to circumvent the CBA can also result in the loss of draft picks - independent doctors examined Hossa.  Florida could buy him out - that would be the ideal scenario for Vancouver - but that's a 4.3M to 4.9M buyout cap hit for Florida though.

Canucks may have to take a cap dump on to "repay" Florida for going down this route. 

The whole thing is stupid, it was legal under the CBA the deal was under. The NHL could have not approved the deal in the first place. 

Archived