The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Jonathan Tavares to test UFA

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Do we even make an offer though?  Likely Tavares has 3-5 years of peak performance left in him.  He might choose a team that’s in their window for winning right now.  We are (likely) still a couple years away at least, no?  I’d rather pass on Johnny T and go for a Dman in 2019.

of course you do, if there's even a remote chance you try. Maybe Gagner can get the wives together to look at schools and homes in West Van to lure them here. 

If we end up with a wealth of elite talent thats a nice problem to have don't you think? 

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

of course you do, if there's even a remote chance you try. Maybe Gagner can get the wives together to look at schools and homes in West Van to lure them here. 

If we end up with a wealth of elite talent thats a nice problem to have don't you think? 

I think Johnny Tavares is from the famous lacrosse family.  There were cousins and such who were from around these parts too, weren’t there?  Maybe there is a family connection already?

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think Johnny Tavares is from the famous lacrosse family.  There were cousins and such who were from around these parts too, weren’t there?  Maybe there is a family connection already?

whatever we can dig up, sure why not? :lol:

I think he ultimately stays with NYI and this is all just like the Stamkos tease. Unless Tavares is spotted in Vancouver between now and free agency I won't worry too much about it. I'm sure Jim will make inquiries when the time is right. 

On 2018-04-02 at 5:49 PM, vinny_in_vancouver said:

The long-shot thinking is that maybe if we get Rasmus Dahlin, Tavares changes his mind. Last time he was here, he talked up about how he thinks Vancouver is a beautiful city.

Dahlin will take a couple of years to hit his stride and cpl more to be a top tier Dman in the league. By then Tavares will be past his prime.  

IF Tavares leaves NYI it'll be to a contender or a team much further along in their rebuild than the Canucks. 

9 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

we will trade for and put on LTIR (ie. Chris Pronger) or file for a greivance

Yep. We will trade for him and put him on LTIR. The injury? "body aches due to old age."

If Hossa's "equipment allergy" works this should work too. 

9 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Dahlin will take a couple of years to hit his stride and cpl more to be a top tier Dman in the league. By then Tavares will be past his prime.  

IF Tavares leaves NYI it'll be to a contender or a team much further along in their rebuild than the Canucks. 

You are probably right and he probably won't come here. But we should find out what he wants and make an offer anyways. 

3 minutes ago, khay said:

You are probably right and he probably won't come here. But we should find out what he wants and make an offer anyways. 

I actually have concerns about Johnny T’s foot speed.  The game might be getting too fast for him to play on the defensive side of the puck effectively?  He’s not going to get faster; he’s going to get slower.  Whomever signs him might have a seriously bad contract hanging over their team in a couple to three seasons.

9 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

We don't know that. Ekblad was a number one on day one. Doughty was a 60 pt defenseman in his sophomore season. MCavoy has been Boston's best dman for 1.5 years now. If he is as good as everybody says he is, he will be a top pair dman day one

1 hour ago, khay said:

Yep. We will trade for him and put him on LTIR. The injury? "body aches due to old age."

If Hossa's "equipment allergy" works this should work too. 

Hossa played for the Hawks though, of course it worked for them.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I actually have concerns about Johnny T’s foot speed.  The game might be getting too fast for him to play on the defensive side of the puck effectively?  He’s not going to get faster; he’s going to get slower.  Whomever signs him might have a seriously bad contract hanging over their team in a couple to three seasons.

Yeah that's a valid concern.

JT is a cerebral type just like the Sedins. These guys are not physically dominant, not so strong nor fast, but they use their brain to best other players. I think JT will find innovative ways to best the opponents, just like the Sedins have for years. I think JT will be good for at least 5 more seasons. Once he hits 32, 33 then I think your concern will definitely be valid. Hopefully if we do get him, we win a cup within 5 seasons :)

17 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

We don't know that. Ekblad was a number one on day one. Doughty was a 60 pt defenseman in his sophomore season. MCavoy has been Boston's best dman for 1.5 years now. If he is as good as everybody says he is, he will be a top pair dman day one

On the Canucks team, this is a higher possibility (ugh).  Winning the lottery this year would be a massive, massive step towards being a very good team in 3-4 years.

23 hours ago, khay said:

Yeah that's a valid concern.

JT is a cerebral type just like the Sedins. These guys are not physically dominant, not so strong nor fast, but they use their brain to best other players. I think JT will find innovative ways to best the opponents, just like the Sedins have for years. I think JT will be good for at least 5 more seasons. Once he hits 32, 33 then I think your concern will definitely be valid. Hopefully if we do get him, we win a cup within 5 seasons :)

If we win the lotto, and sign JT our rebuilt team would definitely have a better chance to get a Cup.  

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

If we win the lotto, and sign JT our rebuilt team would definitely have a better chance to get a Cup.  

If we win the lotto, the Canucks will need cap space for the players that they have when they reach their peaks.  Tavares would be great, and likely workable cap wise, if he would sign a 3-4 year contract but he actually could be problematic for the team if he demands price and long-term commitment (north of 4 years with a no-movement clause).  I'm sure he'll get what he wants so I think there's low odds he comes here.  Besides, the Canucks should be spending their money on defensemen where they can.

1 hour ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

If we win the lotto, the Canucks will need cap space for the players that they have when they reach their peaks.  Tavares would be great, and likely workable cap wise, if he would sign a 3-4 year contract but he actually could be problematic for the team if he demands price and long-term commitment (north of 4 years with a no-movement clause).  I'm sure he'll get what he wants so I think there's low odds he comes here.  Besides, the Canucks should be spending their money on defensemen where they can.

In 4 years Edler, Sutter, Tanev, Gagner, Gudbranson, and Eriksson are all off the books, and Bo will have one year remaining.  Zero contracts beyond that.

1 hour ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I agree.

We don't want Tavares getting in the way of Pettersson.  Pettersson is gonna be better than him!

In a few years, Pettersson could be ready to move from wing to C, with Horvat, Gaudette, Sutter, Cassels....

That will rival the greatest team in franchise history - Hank, Kesler, Malhotra, Lapierre.

Keep the decks clear.  Right @apollo

17 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I agree.

We don't want Tavares getting in the way of Pettersson.  Pettersson is gonna be better than him!

In a few years, Pettersson could be ready to move from wing to C, with Horvat, Gaudette, Sutter, Cassels....

That will rival the greatest team in franchise history - Hank, Kesler, Malhotra, Lapierre.

At the right price, I think John would sign here. We'll see. It isn't likely but I'd say there's 5 to 10 percent chance he choses quality of life for his soon to be new borns.

18 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I agree.

If we get Dahlin and Kane makes it to free agency, Kane is the player i would be targeting. Top 6 skill/grit/speed. 

If we get Svech or Zadina. I would probably wait it out a year and be aggresive in free agency next year.  

If we were to target him then we'll need to sell him on the future of this team. We have plenty of forward prospects that could possibly make that jump next season. Unfortunately, we don't have much in terms of defense in the pipeline. We'll need a good draft or some immediate help.

Add Tavares and Carlson and we're likely back in the playoff hunt. But it might be too early in our rebuild to make such moves.

Archived