The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Humboldt Broncos Involved in Bus Crash

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

It's gotta be 1 or 2. Especially since it was on the news the other day a biker almost got killed because a semi ran a similar type intersection. Either way somebody had to have ran a stop sign there

could still be #3.

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

The truck driver said the sun was in his eyes

where did you see or hear this?

2 hours ago, gurn said:

could still be #3.

where did you see or hear this?

Video from CBC, I believe it was. It was not long after the accident where the RCMP said they were investigating the position of the sun at the time of the accident to see if it could have been in his eyes. But like I said witnesses were saying even well after the accident the sun wasn't even low enough to be in your eyes.

Here it is:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4140906/humboldt-bus-crash-cause-unknown-as-new-details-on-truck-and-bus-driving-companies-emerge/

“It’s a beautiful sunny day, no snow, the roads are dry and the police officer told us the fella claimed the sun was in his eyes,” Thomas said. “We were [there] 45 minutes after the accident and that sun was still high enough to not be in someone’s eyes.”

Edited by peaches5

2 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Video from CBC, I believe it was. It was not long after the accident where the RCMP said they were investigating the position of the sun at the time of the accident to see if it could have been in his eyes. But like I said witnesses were saying even well after the accident the sun wasn't even low enough to be in your eyes.

I think it's pretty friggin' obvious to everyone, that truck driver runs plenty of stop signs.  He just doesn't want to go through all the gears to stop, and then start up again.  He can lie all he wants, but everyone knows what he did, and he knows what he did too.  A jail cell is too good for this guy.  

Is it just me that's really angry now, about what happened?  I think i went from initially being shocked.  Then I was really upset.  Now I'm very angry.  Those poor families of the victims must be suffering horribly.  

• Like 1

So someone that got there 45 minutes after the accident says a police officer "told us the fella claimed the sun was in his eyes"   is not the same as the " The truck driver said the sun was in his eyes.

People tell stories, they are not always true.

i'm callin B.S on the drivers  sun light in the eyes story ..... he's heading due west 270 degree's   the sun at time would have been  210  , 230   vehicular manslaughter x 16, sun light in  his eyes would have been more the reason to slow down,   he's a coward and he's lying , what would that say if the authorities bought his BS , this expose's the fact that a large sector of truckers within the industry should go back to driving taxi cab !!!!!!!!!!!!

compass_lez6hq.jpg

Edited by chon derry
  • Like 1
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, chon derry said:

i'm callin B.S on the drivers  sun light in the eyes story

This " sun in his eyes" story is not the  drivers story,  it is the story of someone that showed up 45 minutes after the accident.  The person that showed up later claims that a police officer  said the driver claimed sunlight in his eyes.

Edited by gurn

17 minutes ago, gurn said:

This story is not the drivers story, this is the story of someone that showed up 45 minutes after the accident. In this story the person that showed up later claims that a police officer said something that the driver allegedly said.

I really don't care what the driver  said or didn't say ,its what he DID. and theres   denying it, theres no excuse , and theres no good reason...he's a sh...ty  driver and shouid'nt be driving a vehical up to 170,000 lbs  gvw, if he doesnt know how to control it  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All I'm saying is there is no proof of what the driver said, just some story from a late comer to the scene.

I'll wait for the RCMP and Transport Canada to finish the investigation, to decide just what happened, who to blame, and how to reduce the risks of this happening again.

• Upvote 1

I see it first hand at my job, the trucking industry has gone to $hit.  Trucking companies getting swallowed up by larger companies and those quality unionized drivers they employed for 20-50 years get laid off or worse yet fired and they bring in drivers on the cheap that have no business being behind the wheel.  I spoke with plenty of truckers about this accident and they all said you have to be on the friggin ball 24/7 because everything looks the same in Sask. so it's easy to make the same fatal mistake that this truck driver did.  I truly feel bad for him, in the end he just wanted to bring food home on the table for his family but he had no business being behind the wheel on a frozen highway.  But this isn't isolated, you'd guys would be surprised how the freight industry in being run now, don't get into logistics lol. 

1 hour ago, chon derry said:

this expose's the fact that a large sector of truckers within the industry should go back to driving taxi cab !!!!!!!!!!!!

Sad but true. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The Saskatchewan Roughriders have invited the families of the 29 people aboard the Humboldt Broncos bus, the first responders and Humboldt community leaders to their game on June 30th, dedicating the entire night to #HumboldtStrong.

The Roughriders held their practice in Humboldt today.

prkf6eH.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As if things couldn't get more tragic in connection with the Humboldt Broncos:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/elrose-crash-family-1.4729940

Former Humboldt Broncos player and his family among dead in Sask. crash

Friday afternoon crash also killed a 71-year-old woman from Swift Current

A former Humboldt Broncos player and his family have been identified as among those killed in a car crash that took place north of Elrose, Sask. on Friday.

Troy Gasper, 26, his wife Carissa, 28, and their three children — ages two, four and six — were in one of the two SUVs involved in a head-on collision on Friday afternoon.

The 71-year-old woman driving the other vehicle, who was from Swift Current, also died in the crash.

Gasper played with the Broncos during the 2009 to 2011 seasons, playing with the Rosetown Redwings shortly after. 

The Humboldt Broncos suffered another tragedy earlier this year when 16 people died after its team bus crashed on the way to a playoff game.

An elementary school in Rosetown confirmed it had lost "a dear student" and her family, and said that counselling services would be offered at the school on Monday and Tuesday.

The head-on collision between two SUVs happened Friday afternoon on Highway 4, north of Elrose, about 150 kilometres southwest of Saskatoon.

"They were all declared deceased on scene. As a result of the collision, both vehicles were engulfed in flames," Cpl. Rob King, media relations for RCMP F Division, said.

The mayor of Elrose, Dennis Dixon, said a crash of this magnitude is tragic no matter where it happens.

"Any time that you have a crash like that anywhere, it's something you don't want to see," Dixon said.

"It's a tragedy."

RCMP said the investigation into the crash is ongoing and that the cause of the collision has not yet been determined. 

"At this point in the investigation, it's too early to tell [what happened]," King said. 

"We did dispatch an accident reconstructionist. They have just recently cleared the scene ... It's going to take time to determine exactly what happened to the best of their abilities."

Edited by TheRick

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/charges-laid-humboldt-bus-crash-1.4736826

Charges laid in deadly Humboldt Broncos team bus crash: RCMP

16 people died and 13 others were injured when bus and semi collided on highway

CBC News · Posted: Jul 06, 2018 11:29 AM CT | Last Updated: 15 minutes ago

sask-bus-crash-scholorships-20180530.jpg
An arrest has been made and charges laid in connection with the Humboldt Broncos bus crash. (Liam Richards/Canadian Press)

The RCMP has arrested and charged a person in connection with the Humboldt Broncos team bus crash.

The name of the person charged has not been released by police 

The bus and a semi-truck collided at a rural intersection between Nipawin and Tisdale on April 6, killing 16 people and injuring 13 others.

The Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League's Humboldt Broncos were heading to Nipawin for a playoff game when the collision occurred.

The RCMP will give further details at a news conference in Regina this afternoon at 1 p.m. CST (3 p.m. ET).

53 minutes ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/charges-laid-humboldt-bus-crash-1.4736826

Charges laid in deadly Humboldt Broncos team bus crash: RCMP

16 people died and 13 others were injured when bus and semi collided on highway

CBC News · Posted: Jul 06, 2018 11:29 AM CT | Last Updated: 15 minutes ago

sask-bus-crash-scholorships-20180530.jpg
An arrest has been made and charges laid in connection with the Humboldt Broncos bus crash. (Liam Richards/Canadian Press)

The RCMP has arrested and charged a person in connection with the Humboldt Broncos team bus crash.

The name of the person charged has not been released by police 

The bus and a semi-truck collided at a rural intersection between Nipawin and Tisdale on April 6, killing 16 people and injuring 13 others.

The Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League's Humboldt Broncos were heading to Nipawin for a playoff game when the collision occurred.

The RCMP will give further details at a news conference in Regina this afternoon at 1 p.m. CST (3 p.m. ET).

This is great news! For awhile there I was losing hope!

Driver of semi in Humboldt Broncos bus crash faces 29 charges

16 people died and 13 others were injured when bus and truck collided on highway

CBC News · Posted: Jul 06, 2018 11:29 AM CT | Last Updated: 39 minutes ago

Jaskirat Singh Sidhu is facing 16 counts of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death and 13 counts of dangerous operation of motor vehicle causing bodily injury. (Facebook)

The driver of the tractor-trailer that collided with the Humboldt Broncos team bus has been arrested and charged, RCMP announced on Friday.

Truck driver Jaskirat Singh Sidhu, 29, is facing 16 counts of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death and 13 counts of dangerous operation of motor vehicle causing bodily injury.

He was arrested in Calgary on Friday morning and remanded into custody. Sidhu is set to appear in court in Saskatchewan next week, but no date has been set.

Sidhu was working for the Calgary-based Adesh Deol Trucking Ltd. when the crash occurred at a rural intersection.

He was heading westbound on Highway 335 in a semi as a Charlie's Charters bus carrying the Humboldt Broncos was travelling northbound on Highway 35 to an SJHL playoff game in Nipawin, Sask.

The bus had the right of way. There is a flashing stop sign for drivers on Highway 335 at Highway 35 between Nipawin and Tisdale. The RCMP said the semi was in the intersection when the bus crashed into it.

Sidhu was briefly detained after the April 6 collision then released. He was uninjured.

Sidhu worked for the trucking company for one month prior to the fatal collision, according to owner Sukhmander Singh. Singh said Sidhu trained with him for two weeks and was driving on his own for two more weeks before the crash.

Ten members of the Broncos died. The six other deaths included the bus driver, an athletic therapist, the head coach, assistant coach and two employees of Humboldt's FM radio station.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/laid-humboldt-bus-crash-update-1.4736826

As painful as this is to the families of all involved, I'm glad the RCMP and their investigative team took their time to lay charges. Changes, or at least tougher regulations have to be put in place in the trucking industry. Many of these drivers barely make minimum wages considering the hours per day they work, legally that is. As big as the industry is in this Country and how much money is at stake shipping goods and commodities. Many are poorly trained, perhaps illegally trained and certified. 

When I see 18 wheelers thundering down the Hwy, with the driver on his cell and holding a cup of coffee, sadly more tragic events like this will happen. My Dad drove logging trucks for years in the bush and on the highways in the Southern Interior. He taught several younger guys how to drive logging truck. That's something a driving school wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. The only thing they'd require is an air ticket. I don't know how many times he'd come home saying how unprepared some of the Freight Truck drivers were. Going over the Hope/Princeton with no chains in the middle of October, cooling the brakes with water in the middle of winter, just to name a few.